Monday, November 19, 2012

Board 85: Pixie Party

The picture features pixies flying round a camp fire set in the middle of some simple huts in a forest.


Level 1 (Clear 30 red pegs from 109 total - Pro target 500k)

The first design reflects one of the native drums by the fire. It also has some annoying looking slanted lines sloping in from the side walls. I suspect these might make catches awkward to judge.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 489,420
  • Yes, catches were a little awkward to judge, but the worst thing was not being able to pick up many side wall rebounds, as they were both covered by the sloping lines. This is why I got rid of all the red pegs, but couldn't quite make the Pro target.

Level 2 (Clear 30 red pegs from 82 total - Pro target 425k)

This design is based around the fire itself. Quite a lot of different angles, but most of the pegs are quite central which can make for easier rebounds and catches.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 573,220
  • No real problems here. The pro score was low enough to make it pretty easy to reach.

Level 3 (Clear 30 red pegs from 81 total - Pro target 450k)

This design has two big sweeping curves that look in line with the launcher, and then a bunch of individual round and diamond-shaped pegs. The two curves look easy starters, but the rest might be more awkward.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 532,680
  • Took a chance with the last ball to forego the easy victory in favour of a total clearance. It was a decision that turned out to be a good one.

Level 4 (Clear 30 red pegs from 98 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 450k)

This design mainly follows the roofs of the huts. So there are quite a few convex curves at the top which may proove a little awkward.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 269,090
  • Tried to build my score with the last ball again, only this time it didn't go quite so well. I probably shouldn't have bothered - I had too much left to score, and the pegs weren't well suited to score them.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 605,010
  • I managed to build up my score as I went along that time. I also got a big fat bonus with the final ball which bumped the score up quite a lot.

Level 5 (Clear 20 red pegs from 69 total - Pro target 475k)

A rough triangle of three straight lines, plus three extra drums as obstacles. There's also a lot of individual round pegs, most of which are hidden beneath the middle drum. Lots of rebounds will be required here, so it looks quite tough.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 235,440
  • Only one red peg left, which I probably could have got if I'd concentrated on red peg clearance rather than score earlier on. Building score was harder than clearing the pegs, which I wasn't expecting.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 263,010
  • One red peg left again. I was trying to concentrate on red peg clearance this time, but I was struggling to find an angle to take out the last one.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 264,080
  • This is starting to get repetitive. One red peg left again, and a very similar score. Maybe I'll try a power up.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 235,630
  • 2 or 3 red pegs left. The laser ball probably made that attempt worse, as it took most of my balls to trigger it, then when I did I failed to do much with it.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 480,720
  • Only 2 pegs left in total, but one of them was red. It took several balls to get to the trigger, but not as many as last time. But I did much better with it this time. I spent one ball too many building points off purple pegs, and only left myself one ball to take out two red pegs which were next to each other.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball. Score: 354,780
  • 1 red peg left again. I'm finding the angles on this level really hard to judge.

Attempt #7 - Laser Ball. Score: 298,210
  • Beat the level but nowhere near the target score. I'll have to come back and redo it later. I'm not looking forward to meeting this layout again in the second half!

Level 6 (Clear 40 red pegs from 81 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 700k)

The same design as level 3. I did it in one go before, so I'll try it without power ups first.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 533,800
  • 7 red pegs left at the end. The first two balls are pretty easy catches, but after that catches get much harder. Bonus points were very easy to come by, as practically half the pegs are red, so any amount of ricocheting tends to earn big bonuses. A laser might help clear some space.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 492,870
  • Three pegs left, two of them red. I was struggling for points much more that time, so I was forced into attempting the total clearance. I wasn't far off it, although there was no guarantee it would have been enough for the pro target.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 483,610
  • Five pegs left that time, with two of them red. Again, I felt forced into the total clearance, but never felt confident about getting it.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 558,050
  • A bit clumsy with the last few balls, otherwise I might have had that one.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 690,520
  • Managed to get the total clearance this time, but didn't quite get enough from the bonus buckets and fell just short of the pro target.

Level 7 (Score 450k with 40 red pegs and 69 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 700k)

The same design as level 1. I struggled to reach the pro score then, and this one is higher, so I'll start with the laser ball.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 595,310
  • I could have done better here. I missed a lot of catches. I got the main target quite easily, but not the pro one.

Level 8 (Clear 40 red pegs from 98 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 775k)

The same design as level 4. These levels are all proving quite tough, so I'll stick with the laser ball.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 527,660
  • Quite a few red pegs left. Not a very good effort really. Only 12 balls used, so not enough catches.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 543,560
  • Only two red pegs left that time, and 14 balls used, so a better effort, but still not quite good enough.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 834,330
  • I made a total clearance that time, stretching it out to 19 balls. It was enough.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 35 red and 47 blue, with only 8 balls - Pro target 675k)

The same design as level 2. Probably the easiest of the 5 designs, but they were all quite tough and this requires a total clearance, so it's straight in with the laser ball.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 744,880
  • I didn't feel confident most of the way through this. I didn't expect to get the clearance, let alone the pro target. But I made the catches when it counted at the end, plus I picked up 150k from the final bucket bonus and it was enough.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 44 blue - Pro target 525k)

The same design as level 5. The toughest design of a pretty tough bunch, and by some way. The pro target is mercifully low, but I suspect it will still be a tall order.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 506,400
  • A pretty good effort for a first attempt. Only one peg left at the end, and close enough to the pro target to ensure that I would have reached it had I taken out that last peg. And that was despite making a mess of the laser ball. I think I'll swap the trampoline for the grenade though.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 392,390
  • Three pegs left. Did better with the power ups, but not so well with all the other balls.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 746,240
  • Actually, that level turned out been easier than I had expected. It seemed very tough when I came across it on level 5, but it went in only three goes here, and I was unlucky not to get it on the very first one. This third attempt was actually pretty straightforward. Maybe I got a bit lucky with some bounces, but I was well over the pro target and had a ball to spare at the end. Still four levels to go back to for pro scores though.

Level 1 (Clear 30 red pegs from 109 total - Pro target 500k)

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 495,560
  • One red peg left, so not a bad effort. On target for the pro score. This shouldn't need a power up.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 542,240
  • Got it that time, and quite comfortably really. I had I think four balls still in hand at the end.

Level 5 (Clear 20 red pegs from 69 total - Pro target 475k)

Attempt #8 - Laser Ball. Score: 536,640
  • That was annoying! I very quickly got down to one red peg left with about 8 balls in hand - more than enough to reach the pro target through the 10k per unused ball bonus, but it was right in the middle directly underneath the middle drum. I just couldn't find an angle to shoot that would hit it. I ended up clearing all the other pegs, but couldn't get that last red one.

Attempt #9 - Laser Ball. Score: 343,600
  • Nowhere near the pro score that time as the bonuses just wouldn’t come.

Attempt #10 - Laser Ball. Score: 208,630
  • I cocked up the laser ball that time and missed the first bounce. There was no way I was coming back from that.

Attempt #11 - Laser Ball. Score: 399,780
  • The laser ball did wonders, getting the big bucket and then catching a bonus deflection off the rim. It cleared so many pegs, I ended up finishing with about 8 or 9 balls to spare. It got me a big bonus but it wasn't enough.

Attempt #12 - Laser Ball. Score: 378,750
  • One red peg left, awkwardly placed. But only 11 shots. Nothing seemed to bounce as I expected so I caught very little.

Attempt #13 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 620,400
  • It's so often the case that you can have over a dozen attempts at a level, then when you finally do it, you do it so comfortably that you wonder what the difficulty was. After the power ups had been used, I found myself about 20k short of the pro target still with about 6 balls in hand, and with an easy deflection onto the final red peg. Typical.

Level 6 (Clear 40 red pegs from 81 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 700k)

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 449,620
  • Three pegs left, all red. I got off to a bad start by failing to catch either of the first two balls. It was made doubly bad because I'd activated the triple score bucket. Could do better.

Attempt #7 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 712,410
  • I had to make a choice with the last ball. The last blue peg was hidden behind it so I couldn't realistically go for the clearance. I was about 70k short of the pro score, so I could either try and deflect straight into the 100k bucket, or take it off the side wall and hope I avoided the 10k buckets. I went for the latter option and hit the 50k bucket. Phew!

Level 7 (Score 450k with 40 red pegs and 69 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 700k)

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,006,220
  • I remembered the ideal first two shots for this layout. The first shot goes as high as possible on the left wall without hitting the ceiling. This open a big gap at the top of the cup on the right hand side. The second shot hits the exposed slope of the inside of the cup as far to the right as possible. This ball should then roll back and forth taking out most of the cup for a huge bonus (210k in my case). That ball took out the yellow peg, allowing my third ball to be the laser which took out a lot of what was left. After that the target was practically hit so I went for as big a score as possible, and just made the million. A good way to make the Ace.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
30
109
Reds
10
-
500k
3
542,240
509,073
2
30
82
Reds
10
-
425k
1
573,220
573,220
3
30
81
Reds
10
-
450k
1
532,680
532,680
4
30
98
Reds
9
-
450k
2
605,010
437,050
5
20
69
Reds
10
-
475k
13
620,400
355,359
6
40
81
Reds
8
-
700k
7
712,410
560,125
7
40
109
450k
9
-
700k
2
1,006,220
800,765
8
40
98
Reds
8
-
775k
3
834,330
635,183
9
35
82
All
8
-
675k
1
744,880
744,880
10
25
69
All
10
-
525k
3
746,240
548,343

No comments:

Post a Comment