Thursday, January 16, 2014

Board 146: Qilin Grove

This picture shows a large statue of a Chinese qilin in a dense wood. A couple of glowing green pendants hang from the trees nearby. A qilin is a Chinese mythological creature, similar to a chimera. Although perhaps if the artist had done a little more research they would have discovered that a qilin is a hooved creature, and not a clawed one!


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 100 total - Pro target 425k)

The first design follows some of the lines in the picture. It uses the tree trunks and some curves from the Qilin statue itself. There are also some round pegs at ground level and in the tree canopy, plus diamond-shaped pegs over the statue's claws and horns.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 416,850
  • I had quite a few red pegs left at the end. I found judging catches really quite tricky on this layout. I'll give it another go.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 282,960
  • I was struggling for points this time, but got down to the final red peg. Catches were still an issue though, although I did get a few more.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 354,800
  • A slight improvement on the score and only one red peg left, so I'm getting closer.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 254,050
  • I'm getting no better at catches on this level. Two red pegs left that time and well short of the pro target. I'll give it one more try before I turn to the laser ball.

Attempt #5 - No power ups. Score: 504,220 
  • I finally just about managed to struggle my way to a red peg clearance and pro score. I left a low central red peg until last that I managed to get into the 100k bucket off.

Level 2 (Clear 30 red pegs from 78 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 475k)

The second design features a series of four curves, like the ones on the chest of the statue. There is a cascade of diamond-shaped pegs below it, and some round pegs below that. There is also a line of round pegs at the top.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 226,980
  • Another struggle for catches and bonuses. I had three red pegs left at the end and quite a few points still required.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 290,960
  • Three red pegs left again. Slightly closer to the pro target, but I still felt a long way away. I'll give it one more go.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 277,840
  • No, I'm getting nowhere with this one. The catches are not getting any easier. I picked up one or two lucky bonuses that time, but I still had ten red pegs left at the end.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 834,020 
  • I took a total clearance with the laser ball. I did get quite a lot more luck as well.

Level 3 (Clear 30 red pegs from 108 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 475k)

The third design comprises entirely round pegs. They are laid out in wavy rows with a void around the Qilin statue itself.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 302,620
  • These bagatelle levels are always a bit of a lottery. You need a bit of luck with catches in the early part of the game. I had three red pegs left at the end, but was short of points as well.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 406,600
  • A better effort. Just two red pegs left and a much closer score. Worth another try.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 254,380
  • Four red pegs left that time, and a poor score. I'll use another laser ball.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 652,350 
  • Even with the laser ball, I was struggling to clear the red pegs. I made the pro target easily enough though - the laser ball certainly helped with that.

Level 4 (Clear 25 red pegs from 94 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 500k)

The fourth design is a close up of the three horns on the statue's head, and its furrowed brow. A zigzag line of round pegs runs along the bottom, and a vertical line of rectangular pegs runs up each side wall.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 128,330
  • This one is harder than it looks. The red pegs weren't very favourably placed, but I still had about six red pegs left at the end, and a very low score indeed.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 273,400
  • An improvement. Only two or three red pegs left at the end and double the previous score. Still a long way to go, but it's worth another try.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 576,080 
  • With a little more luck and a little more skill, I managed to negotiate my way to a pro score.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 97 total - Pro target 550k)

The fifth design features the two pendants that are hanging from the trees. There are two similar designs, each featuring a pair of concentric circles with diamond-shaped pegs radiating out in another circle, and a vertical line above representing the chain, vine, etc. that suspends it. A line of round pegs runs along the bottom.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 425,030
  • Not a bad effort for a first attempt. I still had about four red pegs left, but I made quite a lot of catches, and the score wasn't bad.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 303,160
  • Not quite as good as the last one, but I do feel like I'm starting to get the hang of the angles a bit better.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 831,730 
  • A little bit more luck, and the acquired knowledge of the last two attempts helped me to get a pro score here. The angles are OK once you get to know them. I got down to the last red with about seven balls still in hand, so I could spend a lot of time picking off purple pegs. As it was, I finished prematurely with a few balls left over.

Level 6 (Clear 40 red pegs from 100 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 1, but with 15 more red pegs, one less ball, and 225k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 633,740
  • Just one red peg left and only 17k short of the pro target, so really just one catch away.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 810,030 
  • I got there quite easily this time. I missed out on a total clearance by just one peg.

Level 7 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 53 blue - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 2, but with 5 fewer red pegs, one more ball, 175k on the pro target and a total clearance now needed.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 543,720
  • Eight pegs left at the end, and just over 100k short of the pro target. I didn't get much luck in the early part of the game, though. It took me an age to get to the yellow peg.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 743,110 
  • I got the yellow peg with the first ball, and I'm sure that made a difference. I completed the total clearance, and although I didn't have balls to spare, it still felt fairly comfortable.

Level 8 (Clear 40 red pegs from 97 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 750k)

The same design as level 5, but with 15 more red pegs, one less ball, and 200k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 766,720 
  • I found this one quite easy with the laser ball. I couldn't get through to the yellow peg for ages, but I still scored well with the laser ball when I activated it. I didn't have many balls left after that, but the catches then became much easier, so I could eke them out for long enough to clear all the red pegs and earn enough bonuses to get to the pro target.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 83 blue - Pro target 600k)

The same design as level 3, but with 5 fewer red pegs, two more balls, 125k on the pro target and a total clearance now needed.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 577,550
  • Three pegs left, and only 25k or so short of a pro score. Pretty close, and not bad for a first attempt.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 831,650
  • Five pegs left that time. A shame, because, thanks to two or three lucky shots, I had loads of points. But I didn't get the ricochets when I needed them, and I think it's clearing all the pegs here that's the tricky part, rather tham scoring the points.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 780,640
  • Three pegs left again. Just a few too many narrow misses in the last few balls ruined what had been looking quite promising at one stage.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 591,380
  • I debated whether to take the last ball off the side wall or not. I still needed about 85k, so the 25k for coming off the side wall would help, but I had to weigh that off against the possibility of deflecting directly into the 100k bucket. I went for the latter, but the angle wasn't quite there. I should have realised that and changed the plan, but I carried on regardless, missed the centre bucket, and only earned 60k for the final bonus. It wasn't quite enough for pro.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 874,880 
  • No problem that time. I took more early catches so I had plenty of balls left in the endgame and that makes such a huge difference.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 69 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 775k)

The same design as level 4, but with one more ball, 275k on the pro target and all pegs now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 938,990 
  • I find these levels with vertical columns down the sides quite easy as they tend to lots of opportunities to play the ball off the side wall first, then the top of the peg to take a catch in the opposite corner. And so it proved here, as I played quite a few of them.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
100
Reds
10
-
425k
5
504,220
362,576
2
30
78
Reds
9
-
475k
4
834,020
407,450
3
30
108
Reds
8
-
475k
4
652,350
403,987
4
25
94
Reds
8
-
500k
3
576,080
325,936
5
25
97
Reds
10
-
550k
3
831,730
519,973
6
40
100
Reds
9
-
650k
2
810,030
721,885
7
25
78
All
10
-
650k
2
743,110
643,415
8
40
97
Reds
9
-
750k
1
766,720
766,720
9
25
108
All
10
-
600k
5
874,880
731,220
10
25
94
All
9
-
775k
1
938,990
938,990

No comments:

Post a Comment