Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Board 160: Zephyr City

This picture shows a couple of vast floating enclosed cities. They are floating in the atmosphere as they are surrounded by clouds, but they look very sci-fi - all smooth metal and purple lights. A small shuttlecraft is heading towards the nearer of the two cities.


Level 1 (Clear 30 red pegs from 100 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 450k)

The first layout features two large circles of differing sizes, although both circles extend off the side of the screen so neither is complete. Each circle has several short straight lines extending outwards from it, much like the gangways on the cities. Inside each circle is a regular polygon. The smaller circle contains a pentagon, although a couple of pegs are lost off the screen. The larger circle contains a complete heptagon.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 562,490 
  • An easy enough starter this time. Plenty of ricochets available, plus a few sweep shots, and the catches didn't seem to bad either. A total clearance for a comfortable pro score.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 107 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 400k)

The second layout shows a regular, symmetrical pattern of short diagonal lines, arranged into three columns of three squares, each tilted at 45°. There is a diamond-shaped peg in the centre of each diamond, and round pegs between them.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 250,950
  • It's quite tricky to second guess the ricochets until most of the pegs have gone, and then it's probably too late. I struggled to find bonuses as well.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 198,340
  • I cleared quite a lot of pegs with the early balls, but I didn't catch any of them, and before I knew it I'd run out.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 463,100 
  • I managed to pick up a few lucky early catches, so when I'd cleared the pegs in the centre, I still had a few balls in hand to pick up catches off the pegs to the side. I was catching pretty well and managed to stretch it out to a pro score.

Level 3 (Clear 30 red pegs from 96 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 450k)

The third layout looks like a close-up of the top half of one of the cities, without the very top section. There are diagonal lines down the outside of each section, plus a chevron made of diamond-shaped pegs marking the gap, between them. In the middle of the screen, between the pairs of lines, are curves of round pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 630,020 
  • I quickly got the hang of the timing for making catches down the sides. I thought the round pegs in the centre might give me some trouble, but I was lucky in picking out the red pegs with ricochets.

Level 4 (Clear 30 red pegs from 126 total, with only 7 balls - Pro target 450k)

The fourth layout shows three stripes. Each stripe has a gap in it filled by a triangle. The pattern is similar to the stripes around the city sections in the picture.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 512,820 
  • There were some great ricochets available at the start, and I took out a lot of pegs with them. It was still quite tricky to break a path through to the last few, but I managed it by taking no chances.

Level 5 (Clear 30 red pegs from 95 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 475k)

The fifth layout follows the lines in the picture. It follows the curves around the various section of the two cities, plus the outline of the shuttle.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 647,910 
  • Plenty of sweeps available here. Plus my catching was working well. I took a comfortable total clearance and a straightforward pro score.

Level 6 (Clear 40 red pegs from 100 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 650k)

The same layout as level 1, but with 10 more red pegs and 200k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 497,050
  • I thought this would be easier than it turned out. I struggled to make the points for pro. I only had three pegs left in total at the end, and I was still 150k short. Worth another try, but if that doesn't work I'll turn to the laser ball.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 685,450 
  • It went a lot better that time. I took more catches, and made better use of the curves. I would have liked a total clearance, but I couldn't see any easy way of taking the final blue peg so I left it.

Level 7 (Clear 40 red pegs from 96 total, with only 7 balls - Pro target 625k)

The same layout as level 3, but with 10 more red pegs, 2 fewer balls and 175k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 348,130
  • A long way short of the pro target. Only three red pegs left, but that's not really the point. I'll add a laser ball.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 594,240
  • It took a lot of balls to get through to the yellow peg, although I still did OK with the laser ball. I had an awful lot of work still to do after it though. I did come close despite that.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 437,330
  • I got to the yellow peg with the first ball that time, but the catches weren't going my way after that, and I quickly ran out of balls.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 780,520 
  • The yellow peg was conveniently placed on one side, and I did OK with the laser ball. My catches were working particularly well, including several early lucky ones.

Level 8 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 96 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 625k)

The same layout as level 4, but with 2 more balls, 175k on the pro target and all pegs now needed.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,131,800 
  • I remember I was a long way from clearing all the pegs in level 4, so I went straight for a laser ball for this one. Maybe I shouldn't have done, as I found it quite an easy clearance with several balls to spare at the end.

Level 9 (Score 600k with 30 red pegs and 65 blue, with only 8 balls - Pro target 800k)

The same layout as level 5, but with 1 less ball, 325k on the pro target and just a score to go for.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 685,000
  • Not bad for a first attempt. I found a good first ball which I'll have to try and replicate. A few more catches and I'd have had it.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 966,470 
  • I managed to replicate the first ball from the previous attempt, although I didn't quite catch it. I picked up quite a few bonuses from ricochets and so forth. In one shot I bounced from a red peg top left to the white peg bottom right for a big distance bonus. I then got the Split Ball from it and both balls dropped straight into the bucket for another 100k bonus on top. That certainly helped.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 77 blue, with only 7 balls - Pro target 675k)

The same layout as level 2, but with 5 more red pegs, 2 fewer balls, 275k on the pro target and all pegs now needed.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 519,140
  • A 93% clearance which felt like less. This could be a tricky one that may well need a second power up, but not just yet.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 628,740
  • I cleared all the pegs, but the pro target was always looking like it was going to be out of reach. I didn't take enough early bonuses, and the laser ball scored quite low. Had I got a bit more than 60k for the final buckets, then I could have reached it, but that was all I got.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 507,080
  • The ball just didn't want to go in the bucket that time - it kept glancing off the rim. A shame because the bonuses were coming thick and fast, so points wouldn't have been a problem.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 589,210
  • I thought I was going to get that one. The remaining pegs all seemed to offer relatively straightforward catches, but they're always missable, and I missed one.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 420,430
  • Only an 86% clearance that time, despite the second power up. The Big Bounce got a bit stuck down the bottom, so didn't help very much. Plus the catches didn't work very well.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 624,810
  • The two trigger pegs were close together and awkward to get to. I triggered the Big Bounce first and that's very rarely a good idea. I still managed to get a total clearance, but just like in my second attempt, a 60k final bucket bonus just wasn't enough.

Attempt #7 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 730,070 
  • Both the trigger pegs were conveniently positioned at the top, and I triggered both (in the right order) with the first ball. Neither worked exceptionally well, but both were OK. The pegs they left behind, though, were well placed for catches. I only took a minimum 20k off the final buckets this time, but it didn't matter as I already had enough.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
30
100
Reds
8
-
450k
1
562,490
562,490
2
25
107
Reds
9
-
400k
3
463,100
304,130
3
30
96
Reds
9
-
450k
1
630,020
630,020
4
30
126
Reds
7
-
450k
1
512,820
512,820
5
30
95
Reds
9
-
475k
1
647,910
647,910
6
40
100
Reds
8
-
650k
2
685,450
591,250
7
40
96
Reds
7
-
625k
4
780,520
540,055
8
30
126
All
9
-
625k
1
1,131,800
1,131,800
9
30
95
600k
8
-
800k
2
966,470
825,735
10
30
107
All
7
-
675k
7
730,070
574,211

No comments:

Post a Comment