Monday, September 17, 2012

Board 72: Monkey Ravine

The picture for this board is of a narrow rope bridge spanning a deep gorge, with a tree in the foreground from which a monkey hangs.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 102 total - Pro target 475k)

No sweeping curves, but quite a few flat horizontal lines which can often be taken out in one go for a reasonable bonus. There's also a pretty eve distribution of pegs across the screen which can make the laser ball quite effective. But we don't need to resort to that just yet. It's only level 1 after all.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 356,050
  • Started well enough, but I think I was being a little careless and not taking enough time over my shots. Still had a red peg left at the end which was hidden under some blues.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 551,950 
  • I had to take a few chances with the last ball and take a couple of rebounds off the purple peg to build my score up to 425k. I then decided that rather than try and build it up further, I'd take the chance of a 50k+ bonus at the end. I got a 100k bonus instead which got me the pro score comfortably.

    Coming back for the video, I cleared the red pegs quite easily, and with quite a few balls in hand. I was a long way short of points, though, so I needed those balls to build me points up to the pro target.

Level 2 (Clear 30 red pegs from 103 total - Pro target 450k)

Lots of awkward looking diagonal lines which tend to be very tricky to take out. But on the other hand, ricochets off them are much easier to judge.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 453,210 
  • Again, I was left at the end trying to eke the final two or three balls out as long as possible. Trying to work out where each deflection was going to go. Got to within 45k of the pro target, then took the final red off the side wall to guarantee 10k for the peg, 25k for hitting the wall first, and 10k for the minimum final bucket bonus, which is precisely what I got. Which is why I scraped in by only a few thousand.

    Much easier coming back to make the video. I got very lucky at the start, catching all the balls for the first few shots. It helped me keep plenty of balls in hand into the endgame. I took a total clearance for a score of 670,740.

Level 3 (Clear 30 red pegs from 114 total - Pro target 550k)

We have a couple of monkeys from a chain. Lots of curves here so there ought to be lots of potential bonuses.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 360,350
  • That was a pretty dreadful attempt. I think there were about 7 red pegs left at the end. All the curves got broken up very quickly before I'd had a chance to exploit them properly, and the layout quickly became am awkward jumble.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 282,500
  • An even worse attempt than the previous one.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 443,440
  • Much closer, with only one red peg left and only about 100k short of the pro target. But this level is proving a fair bit tougher than it first appeared.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 713,670 
  • Did much better with the laser ball this time. Then just picked off the red pegs one at a time, with the odd purple peg when the opportunity presented itself. The final two both went together as the ball disappeared into the 100k bucket to boost the score a little at the end.

    It took about another 3 or 4 attempts to get it again for the video, but when I did, I was catching on top form. I took a comfortable total clearance for a million plus points - 1,083,320.

Level 4 (Clear 25 red pegs from 125 total - Pro target 525k)

A mixture of curves and isolated round pegs. Certainly worth a try without power ups first.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 636,090 
  • No real problems. The curves are actually quite conveniently placed. I had a few balls left at the end that I could have scored more with, but I'd already reached the pro target so there didn't seem any point.

    Coming back for the video, I got a very similar score - 631,950 - but it felt more of a struggle. I lost quite a few early balls, and had quite a bit of work to do in the endgame.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 108 total - Pro target 475k)

This level has three separate sections - the central section with a face design that is in a box with a lid that opens and closes, and also sections to the left and right. It's worth bearing in mind that if the final red peg is in the central box, then the ball should fall automatically into the 100k bonus bucket.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 357,700
  • Three pegs left at the end - one in each section. So probably not actually that far off.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 326,400
  • Cleared the sides, but still had several left in the centre at the end.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 536,820 
  • Got it this time. I had four red pegs scattered about the central box to clear with the last ball, but fortunately it bounced about a bit and took them all out.

    It took another 3 or 4 attempts to get it again for the video. I just wasn't getting enough luck with the catches. I got it in the end with a score of 613,450.

Level 6 (Clear 40 red pegs from 103 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 675k)

Same design as level 2, but 10 more red pegs, and a higher pro target.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 527,630
  • A pretty good effort. I had about 3 or 4 red pegs left at the end. I think I'll add a laser ball.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 718,830 
  • I wasn't sure I was going to get this one, but the second last ball suddenly zipped about the last 5 red pegs, despite how scattered they were, and dropped in the 100k bucket.

    Coming back for the video, it took another four or five attempts with the laser ball to pro score it again. It needed an easily accessible yellow peg, a good laser ball, some competent catching and a total clearance to do it.

Level 7 (Clear 40 red pegs from 102 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 650k)

Same design as level 1, but 15 more red pegs this time, and an extra 200k for pro.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 472,040
  • About 3 or 4 red pegs left at the end, but I missed a lot of catches so I think I'll have another crack at it without power ups.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 720,220 
  • Yes, that's better. I picked up pretty much all the catches I went for, stretching the 9 balls out to 34. The final red wasn't aimed for - I was aiming for a catch off a high purple peg, but got a deflection off the bucket rim onto the red peg instead. It was OK though, because I picked up a big distance bonus, and a 100k bucket bonus which was enough for the pro target.

    It took a few more attempts to make pro again for the video. I got after maybe five or six more attempts. A bit of luck and some good catching were needed.

Level 8 (Clear 40 red pegs from 125 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 625k)

The same design as level 4, but with 15 more red pegs, one less ball and 100k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 357,540
  • Not particularly close, although I didn't feel I did very well on that go. I think I'll go for the laser next anyway.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 770,910 
  • Much easier with a laser ball. This way this design forms an arch-like pattern works very well with it.

    For the video, the yellow peg was right down the bottom, but I got to it early enough. I did well with the laser ball, and my catching went well. I would have liked a total clearance, but couldn't risk it, so I left one peg behind. A better score than before, though, 956,670.

Level 9 (Clear 45 red pegs from 114 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 625k)

The same design as level 3 which took a few attempts and took a laser ball to complete, so let's jump straight in with that.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 778,690 
  • No real problems once I'd activated the laser ball. I managed to take out a lot of pegs with it. I also picked up one or two useful extra bonuses along the way.

    It took about three more attempts to get pro again for the video. Once I'd found my way through to the yellow peg, and picked a good line for the laser ball, it wasn't too bad.

Level 10 (Clear 30 red pegs from 108 total, with only 8 balls and with a 5s shot-clock - Pro target 600k)

The same three section layout as level 5, but this time with 5 extra red pegs, a couple less balls, and extra 125k on the pro target, and a 5 second shot clock. Let's try the trampoline first.

Attempt #1 - Big Bounce. Score: 485,580
  • One red peg left on the final ball and I missed it by a whisker. It was in the middle section, so had I hit it I would have got the 100k bonus, plus 35k for the peg and the deflection, so it would have been enough for the pro target. Let's try again.

Attempt #2 - Big Bounce. Score: 241,020
  • Nowhere near that time. Terrible score, and still 10 red pegs left at the end. Let's try the laser as well.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 651,970 
  • I stupidly selected the power ups in the wrong order so that weren't activated by the colours that I'm used to. Even more stupidly, I didn't pause to check which I was using before I fired it. Hence I fired the laser thinking it was the trampoline and failed to get a bounce of the bucket. Despite that, I got a big score with the real trampoline ball, and managed to pick off the remaining red pegs. I left one in the centre until last, to get the 100k final bonus.

    Coming back for the video, it took another 10 attempts to pro score it again. It takes a lot of luck to find the right angles at the right moments. And leaving a final red peg in the central section is crucial.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
102
Reds
10
-
475k
2
551,950
454,000
2
30
103
Reds
10
-
450k
1
453,210
453,210
3
30
114
Reds
10
-
550k
4
713,670
449,990
4
25
125
Reds
10
-
525k
1
636,090
636,090
5
25
108
Reds
10
-
475k
3
536,820
406,973
6
40
103
Reds
9
-
675k
2
718,830
623,230
7
40
102
Reds
9
-
650k
2
720,220
596,130
8
40
125
Reds
9
-
625k
2
770,910
564,225
9
45
114
Reds
8
-
625k
1
778,690
778,690
10
30
108
Reds
8
5s
600k
3
651,970
459,523

No comments:

Post a Comment