Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Board 76: Spinner's Dungeon

This week's board was clearly based around the Brothers Grimm fairy tale of Rumplestiltskin, as the picture depicts a spinning wheel in a dungeon room surrounded by bales of straw and golden thread. I found it one of the easiest boards for quite a while, with over half of the levels being completed with the Pro target reached on the first attempt, and all the levels were complete by the second attempt.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 99 total - Pro target 425k)

This looks like it might be quite awkward. If I can get into the circles for some sweep bonuses, I might be OK, but that's probably easier said than done.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 297,100
  • I could have got the last red peg at the end but it was in a good position to deflect into the 100k bucket at the end, which would mean I was only about 40k short of the Pro target. The blue pegs were not well positioned for deflections though and I missed one.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 700,650 
  • The laser ball took out 9 red pegs and added 240k to my score, and that turned a tricky level into a straightforward one.

    On the next attempt for the video, it was again very straightforward with the laser ball.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 146 total - Pro target 450k)

There a lot of pins here, but quite a few of them are in vertical lines, and they can be quite useful for deflections into the bucket, so there may be some bonuses to pick up there.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 578,350 
  • It looked touch and go at times, but a couple of good balls at the end made the difference.

    It took me a further four attempts to get another pro score for the video. When I got it though, I took a total clearance for an impressive seven figure score on a level that isn't easy to score points from. I made 1,014,080 and that's without power ups as well.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 129 total - Pro target 450k)

A lot of pegs again, and the horizontal lines break up the curves, but it looks like the balls might hang around for a bit taking out quite a few pegs each, and the pro target's not too high. So it might not be that bad.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 439,870
  • Another one that looked unlikely most of the way through. The early ball did hang around for a while, knocking out quite a few pegs, but the screen got very untidy, very quickly, and it soon became difficult to negotiate a path through to the bucket. I took a couple of chances with the last couple of balls though, and it very nearly paid off. I just needed to avoid the 10k buckets on the final ball, but didn't.

Level 4 (Clear 25 red pegs from 102 total - Pro target 350k)

A very low Pro target makes me wonder if this is going to be tougher than it looks. The design looks a little awkward, but not especially so.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 474,980 
  • Points were indeed a little had to come by, but a few judicious ricochets picked up the required score with a couple of balls left over.

    Coming back to complete the video, it was again not an easy level. But I got it on the first attempt again, with a score of 455,120.

Level 5 (Clear 15 red pegs from 65 total - Pro target 325k)

Very few pegs here, and a low Pro target to go with it. It looks as if the left hand side of the screen is only accessible via the wormholes on the bottom right. The trampoline might work well here, but I'll try it without first.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 406,420 
  • Again it was difficult to build up a big score, but although the ropes look bumpy, they react as if smooth. This made it easier to judge rebounds off them. By taking all the red pegs down the side sections first, my final red peg was in the centre section. This made it easier to hit and gave a much better chance of the 100k bonus at the end, which I did indeed get.

    Coming back to make the video, I got it at my first attempt. I got lucky with quite a few early catches, and with the red peg placement. I had plenty of balls in hand at the end - enough to take a total clearance for 663,250.

Level 6 (Clear 35 red pegs from 99 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 625k)

The same layout as level 1 which was awkward. I'll go straight for the laser ball, I think.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 713,140 
  • No real problems with the laser ball. The yellow peg was in a very similar position as it was for level 1, which was in the bottom row, between the wheels. I could get to it early, take a lot of pegs out with it, then pick off the remainder with some careful rebounding to keep the score up. Very similar experience to level 1 all round.

    It took two more attempts to get it again for the video. I just missed out on the last red peg the first time, but the second time I completed it very comfortably. The catches all went my way. The finish was clumsy as the last red went off a ricochet when I still had seven balls in hand and only half a dozen or so blue pegs, so the total clearance should have been a given.

Level 7 (Clear 40 red pegs from 129 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 650k)

The same layout as level 3, which I got past, but not with a Pro score. In view of the much larger number of red pegs this time, I'll go straight for the laser ball again.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 737,630 
  • It took a few balls to get to the yellow peg, but once I had, the laser ball took out a lot of what was left and gave a hefty bonus. The rest was then straightforward.

    I could burrow my way through to the yellow peg with my first ball, and did OK with the laser ball. This game was won, though, with remorseless catching. I took a total clearance with half a dozen or so balls still in hand at the end, and a score of 815,950.

Level 8 (Clear 40 red pegs from 102 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 550k)

The same layout as level 4. I struggled to build up bonuses on that one, so the Pro target might be tricky without power ups. I have plenty of coins, so I'll go straight for the laser ball again.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 359,670
  • I found it very awkward to catch the ball in the bucket for the most part. I ran out of balls after only 11 shots. I still had quite a few reds left. I think I'll add a trampoline into the mix.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 719,370 
  • Much better this time. I stretched my 9 balls into 24 shots which allowed me to complete it fairly easily. I took out all the low pegs at the sides with the laser ball, and that made deflections off the high pegs much easier to catch.

    It took another four attempts to get this again for the video. I probably should have got it quicker as all the attempts came close, but my catching would just let me down at the end. Your catching does need to be pretty good here as there are all sorts of angles that need to be negotiated. I had to make the final ball last for quite a while in this one to get a total clearance and a score of 613,370.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 121 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 700k)

The same layout as level 2, which turned out to be quite straightforward. I'll have go without power ups to start with.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 715,580 
  • I rather surprised myself with this one. As soon as I started without any power ups I thought it was a mistake. But I got lucky with quite a few unexpected bucket collections, and every attempted deflection worked perfectly. Pro target reached in just one go.

    Coming back to do this one again for the video, I was rather trepidatious about getting another pro score without power ups. But it only took two attempts, and I very nearly got it again in one. My catching needed to be right on the money, and of course I needed a little luck to go my way, but otherwise not too bad.

Level 10 (Clear 20 red pegs from 65 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 525k)

The same layout as level 5, which was only to be expected, but only 5 more red pegs to hit than last time. The pro target is an extra 200k though, so I'll try the trampoline.

Attempt #1 - Big Bounce. Score: 290,120
  • Nowhere near the pro target, but only one red peg left at the end and two blue, so close from that perspective.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 585,640 
  • Added the laser ball to the trampoline for this go, and that did the job. The laser ball added about 300k to the total, and left enough balls to be able to take some risks with deflections for boosting the score. Well that only leaves level 3 to go back to to complete the board.

    Coming back to complete this again for the video, I found it just as easy to pro score in one attempt. And that was despite utterly wasting the laser ball.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 129 total - Pro target 450k)
- continued
Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 567,350 
  • The laser ball made it much easier. I finished with several balls to spare.

    On the next attempt for the video, I took a wholly unnecessary risk in knocking out the last two or three blue pegs with the last ball instead of taking the final red. It got me a total clearance for a score of 739,710, but it really wasn't worth the risk.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
99
Reds
10
-
425k
2
700,650
498,875
2
25
146
Reds
10
-
450k
1
578,350
578,350
3
25
129
Reds
10
-
450k
2
567,350
503,610
4
25
102
Reds
10
-
350k
1
474,980
474,980
5
15
65
Reds
10
-
325k
1
406,420
406,420
6
35
99
Reds
9
-
625k
1
713,140
713,140
7
40
129
Reds
9
-
650k
1
737,630
737,630
8
40
102
Reds
9
-
550k
2
719,370
539,520
9
25
146
All
9
-
700k
1
715,580
715,580
10
20
65
Reds
9
-
525k
2
585,640
437,880

No comments:

Post a Comment