Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Board 94: Dreamers' Neverland

The picture this week shows Peter Pan flying over a jungle with a large triangular mountain in thre background, and a large moon visible behind it.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 90 total - Pro target 425k)

This design has two lines of separated rectangular pegs that follow the sloping sides of the mountain, and a lot of individual round pegs, plus a few diamond ones, mainly beneath.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 290,460
  • I was doing OK, but then I lost several balls trying to pick off the last couple of red pegs down the left hand side. I'll put it down to being a bit rusty after a couple of days without playing.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 284,760
  • Still not quite there. The lack of pegs down the sides makes it difficult to pick off side-wall rebounds with any accuracy, and all the pegs being concentrated in the centre makes distance bonuses unlikely. I'll have one more go without power ups, I think.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 537,140 
  • I got the hang of the angles a bit better this time. Plus, I got a bit more luck in some better ricochets and a few fortunate catches.

Level 2 (Clear 20 red pegs from 106 total - Pro target 400k)

This design features five circles which probably represent stars, plus a few individual pegs scattered about.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 302,190
  • I rode my luck quite a lot here, but still finished about 100k short of the pro target and with two or three pegs left. The angles here are very tricky. I think I'll have one more go without power ups, but I suspect that I'll need them eventually.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 278,060
  • One red left at the end, but some way short still on points. I'm tempted to try again without power ups, but it would be unlikely to be fruitful. I'll use a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 525,670 
  • It took way too many balls to break through to the yellow peg as I became fixated on taking it off the side wall. In the end I realised it wasn't going to happen and took it directly, but I'd used up half my balls by then. Despite this, I did just enough with the laser ball, and the other balls that came after it, to secure the required points. I picked up a 100k bonus at the end, but didn't need it.

Level 3 (Clear 30 red pegs from 85 total - Pro target 375k)

This design features diagonal lines for the mountainsides again, but this time they are mainly continuous. There is a break for Peter on on side, and for the cloud on the other. There is also a curve over the top of the moon, and a bunch of individual pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 491,140 
  • It's always nice to get a level first time and without power ups. There were plenty of opportunities for side wall bonuses here, and I had a few lucky catches early on. The pro score is quite low and not much of a stretch, so it was more about taking out the 30 red pegs.

Level 4 (Clear 35 red pegs from 84 total - Pro target 450k)

This design has lots of diagonal lines running down the mountain with half a dozen portals at the bottom to take the ball back up to a central target portal about two-thirds of the wayt up.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 488,090
  • Two red pegs left at the end. No problem with the score, but catches are very hard to judge. Those portals fling the ball about all over the show so where it eventually comes down is anyone's guess.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 228,000
  • Nowhere near this time. I only made one catch. I'm going to try it with a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 166,320
  • The laser ball didn't work particularly well. There's probably a fantastic shot for it somewhere, but finding it could be a nightmare.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 543,720 
  • This is one of those levels which is really hard or really easy depending on what sort of luck you get. I got all the luck this time and made a comfortable total clearance with about five balls to spare.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 91 total - Pro target 450k)

This design has more stars, but big ones this time. Three big ones, two small ones, and few individual round pegs right down the bottom.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 376,130
  • It's another tricky bunch of angles. I only had one red peg left at the end, but I might have needed a big final bonus to make the pro target.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 388,150
  • Well, I cleared all the red pegs, but I cleared the last three in one ball, before I was ready, and even a 100k bonus wouldn't have given me a pro score.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 199,450
  • That one never looked likely. I didn't get the catches or the bonuses. Let's try it with a laser ball.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 642,380 
  • No problem with the laser ball. I didn't get the rim bounce with the laser ball that I was going for. But it got me more than enough points anyway. After that I could afford to be fairly cavalier with the remaining balls as I only needed to take two reds with a couple of the remaining balls and I had it in the bag.

Level 6 (Clear 45 red pegs from 90 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 1. I'll probably start all of these last five levels with a laser ball as none of the five designs were easy.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 758,840 
  • The yellow peg was quite easy to get to and I did quite well with the laser ball. After that it was just a matter of not wasting too many balls. I ended up with a total clearance for a comfortable pro score.

Level 7 (Clear 35 red pegs from 106 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 675k)

The same design as level 2 but nearly twice as many red pegs to be cleared.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 547,100
  • I didn't get as good a rim bounce off the laser ball as I might have hoped for. All told, I could have done with a touch more luck. I wasn't far off, but it wasn't quite enough.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 833,400 
  • I got that little bit of extra luck this time that was missing in the first attempt. I got a much better rim bounce from the laser ball although I didn't quite manage to catch it, which was a shame as it would have been tripled. Still, it didn't matter in the end as I made the pro target without too much difficulty.

Level 8 (Clear 40 red pegs from 91 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 5, but 14 more red pegs, one less ball and another 200k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 675,830 
  • I didn't get a good rim bounce with the laser ball, but I did get a rim bounce so it could have been worse. I just about managed to score enough points to reach the pro target but there wasn't much in it.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 59 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 550k)

The same design as level 4, but all pegs are needed. I got a total clearance then with balls to spare, so I just need another one like that.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 309,190
  • The yellow peg was right down the bottom in the middle so getting to it was something of a nightmare. When I did get it, there was precious little left to aim at so points were never looking high enough. But then I had quite a few pegs left at the end so it was all a bit of a disaster.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 177,340
  • The yellow peg was even worse positioned that time. It took nearly all my balls to get to it.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 580,900 
  • Just like level 4, this level seems all about luck. I picked off the yellow peg with the first ball and then picked a great angle for the laser ball. It disappeared through several portals as it took out a whole bunch of pegs. I managed to pick off the rest mostly one at a time, genrally trying to avoid the portals.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 55 blue, with only 7 balls - Pro target 600k)

The same design as level 3 which was probably about the easiest of all the designs. However, this is now an all pegs level and only seven balls to work with.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 158,140
  • Oops! I hit the yellow peg with the first ball then completely forgot I had the laser ball with the second shot and utterly wasted it. I ended up not making a single catch and getting only 56% clearance. I really hate doing that.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 407,320
  • Up to 89% that time, but it's tricky with so few balls to work with. I think I'll add a Big Bounce.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 420,030
  • 94% that time, so I'm getting closer. The trampoline didn't work very well for me, although the laser ball was pretty good. If I can get both power ups to work well, then I should get it.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 416,060
  • 94% again which equates to 5 pegs left. Still looking for a bit more luck.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 357,460
  • Only 86% clearance, so not so good.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 636,160 
  • I had to stretch out the last few balls for quite a long time. I did a lot of shooting straight into the bucket waiting for the purple peg to appear somewhere useful as I needed to maximise the points I was scoring. I tried to leave a couple of low central pegs until last in the hope of getting through them into the 100k bucket but the balls popped up instead of down. I got lucky though and one of them still ended up the 100k anyway.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
90
Reds
10
-
425k
3
537,140
370,786
2
20
106
Reds
10
-
400k
3
525,670
368,640
3
30
85
Reds
10
-
375k
1
491,140
491,140
4
35
84
Reds
10
-
450k
4
543,720
356,532
5
25
91
Reds
10
-
450k
4
642,380
401,527
6
45
90
Reds
9
-
650k
1
758,840
758,840
7
35
106
Reds
9
-
675k
2
833,400
690,250
8
40
91
Reds
9
-
650k
1
675,830
675,830
9
25
84
All
9
-
550k
3
580,900
355,810
10
30
85
All
7
-
600k
6
636,160
399,195

No comments:

Post a Comment