Friday, January 25, 2013

Board 95: The King's Pad

The picture is of a huge frog with a crown on sitting on a lily pad. Some other, much smaller, frogs are arranged about him, one of which is in mid-leap.


Level 1 (Clear 30 red pegs from 86 total - Pro target 450k)

The first design consists mainly of short curves which follow the lines of the picture. There is one straight line and a dozen or so single round pegs, but the curves go in all directions so the angles may be awkward.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 325,300
  • I struggles to make catches on this one. Because the pegs follow the lines of the picture, they're all over the place giving lots of odd angles. The game was over in 13 shots which is not enough.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 557,390 
  • The catches worked much better this time, as did some of the early ricochets. So a lot more early bonuses gave my score a boost and took some of the pressure off in the endgame.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 98 total - Pro target 475k)

This second design has more curves, this time imitating the leaves of the plants on the bank. More single round pegs than last time, scattered around the bases of the plants.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 448,660
  • I thought about taking the last red peg and hoping for 50k or 100k final bucket, but I decided to try for one more catch off a purple peg first, and I misjudged the path of the ball.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 448,410
  • Catches were quite tricky again, although I got a few more than in my previous go. I did manage to clear the reds this time, but only by accident. I took a big deflection off a purple peg and the ball bounced across the screen to hit the final red one and dropped in the 10k bucket. Any other bucket would have got me the pro score, as it happened, but not that one.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 364,460
  • I think my mind was elsewhere during this attempt. It wasn't very good and I didn't come particularly close. I'll have one more go before I get the laser ball out.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 582,080 
  • A few useful catches and unexpected bonuses helped me get to the pro target quite comfortably that time. It's taken 6 goes to beat the first two levels, but I've not used a power up yet, so I'm happy with that.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 92 total - Pro target 425k)

This design is based on the crown on the King frog's head.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 512,060 
  • I felt I got quite lucky with catches and ricochets here, so it was probably harder than it seemed. The game ran to 24 shots which was pretty good going. I had to play quite a few one peg catches in the endgame, but the early catches had left me plenty of balls in hand which took the pressure off quite a lot.

Level 4 (Clear 35 red pegs from 105 total - Pro target 525k)

This design is based round three lilypads of different sizes. Each lilypad is essentially a circle with a sector missing, a bit like a pacman.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 132,360
  • Only 2 catches made. All those curves made it look like it could be quite an easy level, but it certainly wasn't. I couldn't see a way of breaking into the circles without ruining them for sweeps. I'll have one more go, but if I don't improve, I'll go for a laser ball afterwards.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 338,830
  • Only 2 catches again. No real progress in terms of pegs cleared. Time for a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 657,050 
  • I found some much better opening shots that time. I may even have done it without the laser ball at all, but who knows. Certainly, by the time the laser ball had been activated, only the the right hand lilypad was left, the others having been all but eliminated. But by aiming it high to the right, I could take out quite a lot of this pad, and score quite a lot of points for it. It was enough points to take me past the pro threshold, so then it was just a matter of taking out all the remaining red pegs, which I duly did.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 87 total - Pro target 400k)

This design is three sets of 29 single round pegs separated by moving logs. This must be a nod towards the classic arcade game Frogger. Negotiating those gaps will be tricky.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 230,380
  • Zero catches made and nowhere near the pro target. Only one red peg left at the end, so close on that score. This could be a tricky one.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 432,290 
  • I concentrated this time on rebound bonuses, making sure I always took red and purple pegs off the walls and logs first wherever possible, and that helped boost my score a bit. I thought I was still going to be a bit light at the end, but my final ball was a shot off the top log onto the purple peg, but it then rolled across the log and found its way to the final red peg for a decent distance bonus. I only managed a 10k bonus at the end but it was enough.

Level 6 (Clear 45 red pegs from 98 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 2, but with 20 more red pegs, two less balls and 175k on the pro score. I struggled for catches last time. I think I'll have one go without power ups first and see how I get on.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 396,200
  • I don't think I made a single catch there. I used 9 shots from 8 balls, but I may have earned an extra ball another way as I don't remember making any catches. I'll add a laser ball.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 674,400
  • I think I may have been too focused on maximising my score bonuses, and not given enough attention to clearing the red pegs. I made the pro target, but still had two or three red pegs left at the end.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 536,620
  • I wasted a ball trying to get to the yellow peg. I failed to get the rim bounce that I was aiming for with the laser ball, and I wasted another couple of balls right at the end trying to find the right angle off the side wall. Too many mistakes.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 760,740
  • Two red pegs left at the end. I started really well, getting both a rim bounce and a split ball with the laser which practically got me to the pro target after three balls. However every subsequent shot seemed to find a path that missed all but the first red and the bucket. Very annoying.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 924,080 
  • I got a good rim bounce with the laser ball which boosted its score enough so that I could stop worrying about the pro target and concentrate on clearing the reds. I picked up a few lucky ricochets and catches, plus after 9 attempts at this layout, I'm starting to get the hang of the timing a bit better. I had balls in had at the end so I was going for the total clearance, but I caught an unexpected angle off one of the last blue pegs which took out the last red as well.

Level 7 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 56 blue, with only 8 balls - Pro target 725k)

The same design as level 1, but with 2 less balls and 275k on the pro target. Plus a total clearance is now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 631,930
  • I got a good rim bounce with the laser ball again, but it took several balls to trigger it. But then I struggled to make catches afterwards, so any benefit I earned from a good laser ball was then ruined.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 423,050
  • No rim bounce this time and I was always struggling after that. I think I'd better add a Big Bounce.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 459,520
  • The yellow peg was a nightmare to get to. I only had three balls left when I finally got it. After that there were just too many pegs left and not enough balls to get them with.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 558,990
  • Missed the very last catch. Of course I needed 150k from the final bucket bonuses, so I still needed a big helping of luck but it's still very annoying.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 542,270
  • I can't seem to get the rim bounce anymore which is very annoying as it can make a big difference. Only 86% clearance so not particularly close.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 961,940 
  • I got good results with both the laser ball and the trampoline. I didn't even attempt the rim bounce with the laser ball this time after having missed it for the last four. I picked an alternative route that looked more lucrative and an easy catch. I nearly messed it up at the end when I forgot that it was an All Pegs level. I took the last red without caring where the ball was going, thinking it would finish the level, but of course it didn't. Luckily, I still had a couple of balls left and most of the remaining blue pegs were fairly easy catches.

Level 8 (Score 500k with 40 red pegs and 65 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 700k)

The same design as level 4, but with 5 more red pegs, one less ball, and 175k on the pro target. Not a big increase, really, so it shouldn't be much harder.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 864,470 
  • If anything that seemed easier than level 4. I got a good score with the laser ball which put me most of the way there. I could have finished earlier than I did, but I was going for the total clearance which I missed by one peg. Not that it mattered.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 35 red and 57 blue, with only 8 balls - Pro target 700k)

The same design as level 3, but with 10 more red pegs, two less balls, 275k on the pro target, and a total clearance required. I did level 3 first time without power ups, so a laser ball here will hopefully be enough.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 592,860
  • 96% clearance. I didn't feel I'd picked a very good path for the laser ball, so that could be improved upon. Otherwise not too far away, so only a slight improvement should be enough.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 471,270
  • Only two pegs left that time, but I was further away with the score. The path for the laser ball was even worse.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 423,750
  • Nowhere near the clearance that time - only 79% clearance. A lack of catches and decent ricochets was the main cause.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 455,180
  • Only 86% clearance. I'll add another power up and see if that helps.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Split Ball. Score: 175,260
  • That one was a non-starter. The yellow peg was a nightmare to get to. It took me a lot of balls to break through to it. By the time I had, I'd eliminated a lot of pegs for hardly any bonuses and the game was effectively over.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Split Ball. Score: 467,310
  • I've remembered why I never use the Split Ball. It's because 4 times out of 5 it doesn't seem to gain me any benefit at all. This time, after the split, one ball hit nothing, the other hit one more peg, and neither ball was caught. I'll give it one more chance.

Attempt #7 - Laser Ball & Split Ball. Score: 629,800
  • Back up to 96%, so a better attempt, and my best score yet. The split ball still wasn't brilliant, as one of the balls still disappeared almost immediately, but at least the other took out a few pegs.

Attempt #8 - Laser Ball & Split Ball. Score: 502,670
  • A better result from the Split ball, but only 92% clearance. Too many missed catches.

Attempt #9 - Laser Ball & Split Ball. Score: 747,080 
  • I didn't get much from the Split ball, but at least I caught one of them. I did find a good path for the laser ball, getting the extra rim bounce which took out a bunch of low pegs. I had to hang on with the last ball for a few shots, but I got there.

Level 10 (Clear 35 red pegs from 87 total, with only 8 balls and a 5s shot-clock - Pro target 550k)

The same design as level 5, with the moving logs, but with 10 more red pegs, 2 less balls, 150k on the pro target and the dreaded shot clock. Five seconds isn't too bad, but those logs move pretty slowly so this could need some quick thinking.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 572,960
  • Pretty close, especially for a first attempt. Only one red peg left at the end. Both trigger pegs were in the bottom level, so neither were triggered until quite late in the game. In fact, the laser ball was my very last shot. My best ball was actually when I hit the white peg which gave me a split and quite a few subsequent bonuses.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 567,190 
  • The yellow ball was down the bottom again, and the green ball was in the middle, so neither were particularly convenient. When I did eventually get to the yellow peg, I got a good result from the laser ball. I spotted an opportunity to fire it straight through both gaps to bounce off the bucket, and I managed to get it bouncing straight across the bottom layer, taking out both remaining red pegs there. I needed a bit of luck right at the end as I was still short of points when I took out the final red peg, but I managed to accumulate enough with that last ball to get me there.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
30
86
Reds
10
-
450k
2
557,390
441,345
2
25
98
Reds
10
-
475k
4
582,080
460,902
3
25
92
Reds
10
-
425k
1
512,060
512,060
4
35
105
Reds
10
-
525k
3
657,050
376,080
5
25
87
Reds
10
-
400k
2
432,290
331,335
6
45
98
Reds
8
-
650k
5
924,080
658,408
7
30
86
All
8
-
725k
6
961,940
596,283
8
40
105
500k
9
-
700k
1
864,470
864,470
9
35
92
All
8
-
700k
9
747,080
496,131
10
35
87
Reds
8
5s
550k
2
572,960
570,075

No comments:

Post a Comment