Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Board 100: World's Edge

This picture is of a small sailing ship about to tumble over the edge of a huge waterfall. This waterfall is, judging by the board's title, at the edge of a flat world where the water just boils off into space. Much like it does in Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 96 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 425k)

This design features a big curve going around two-thirds of the moon, and more short curves marking where the water plunges over the edge. Also lots of single round pegs over the water itself.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 229,990
  • I made no catches at all which gave me no chance of success. I could have done with the red pegs being a bit more favourably placed.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 335,310
  • I made a few catches this time, and generally had a bit more luck. I still had difficulty getting enough points, though. I got to within 100k of the pro target and considered taking the final red peg, but I just wasn't hopeful of getting into the 100k bucket afterwards, so I tried to clear some other blue pegs first but it didn't come off.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 447,130
  • I actually made the pro target this time, but still had two red pegs left. My problem was that I was down to my last ball, and neither peg offered a good chance of a catch, so I was trying to clear some other blue pegs out of the way first when I missed a catch.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 287,670
  • I didn't do so well that time. The catches didn't come so easily and not did the bonuses. Four attempts is enough. I'll use a laser ball.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 434,690
  • I was desperately unlucky not to get it that time. I had two balls left and the last red peg was hidden beneath several blue ones. The first of these two balls cleared most of these blue pegs, but failed to finish in the bucket despite hitting the rim three or four times. Then the next ball seemed like a simple catch of the last remaining blocking peg, but it hit the rim again, right in the bottom corner of the screen, then bounced across missing the final red peg by a whisker.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball. Score: 458,450 
  • I got there eventually, although I can't help thinking that I made heavy weather of it. The pegs all seemed to be getting in each other's way making catches awkward. Let's hope I get better as the board goes on.

Level 2 (Clear 30 red pegs from 65 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 400k)

This design mainly features one line which follows the flat horizon which then curves suddenly into a vertical drop. Various single round pegs are above and to the right of this line, plus another line of 5 more single pegs mark the rest of the edge.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 299,390
  • I could've cleared the red pegs easily enough, but I was struggling to score enough points. I didn't feel like the luck went my way particularly though. I'll hopefully do a bit better next time.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 298,350
  • Another one where I didn't seem to get any luck, so much the same as the previous go.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 596,150 
  • I finally got a bit of good fortune at the third attempt. Two or three lucky catches, and a good ricochet or two, and I got a total clearance with more than enough points.

Level 3 (Clear 30 red pegs from 83 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 425k)

This design shows a line zig-zagging diagonally down the screen like a set of steps, with a grid of single pegs beneath it.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 305,560
  • Another slightly tricky one. Not too far away though. I'll get better as I get used to the angles.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 375,370
  • A better score but still five red pegs left at the end. I need more catches or better ricochets.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 213,220
  • No catches at all that time. These layouts are a bit of a nightmare. Time for a laser ball.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 588,830 
  • The laser ball made enough of a difference. I only scored just over 100k for it, but it cleared some space which made subsequent catches a little easier to take.

Level 4 (Clear 25 red pegs from 96 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 400k)

This design is based on the doomed ship in the picture so it's mostly straight lines.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 692,970 
  • Undoubtedly the easiest layout yet, although I did ride my luck quite outrageously at times here. The straight lines gave plenty of opportunities for catches.

Level 5 (Clear 30 red pegs from 79 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 450k)

This design is all loose pegs, but its main feature is the arrangement of nine teleports distributed evenly throughout the water, all connecting to a single receiver in the top right. This could be fiddly.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 181,810
  • Yes, I thought so. This layout's got nightmare written all over it. Points are tricky to come by, and catches are just impossible to judge. It's onw of those levels that needs very little skill and lots of luck.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 256,200
  • It might take a while just to find a decent path for the laser ball. All the standard ones are no good. The laser ball improved my score a bit, but I was still nowhere near clearing the reds.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 171,590
  • I wasted a couple of balls getting to the yellow peg, then I wasted the laser ball itself. Something of a non-starter really.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 257,470
  • Only three pegs left this time. No closer to the pro target though. The Big Bounce cleared quite a few pegs.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 246,890
  • Both power ups seemed quite wasted there. I still haven't found a really good path for the laser ball yet.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 618,480 
  • I got the luck I was looking for this time. I did well from the Big Bounce, but the main help was lots of fortunate catches. Indeed, I strung the game out to 20 shots and ended up making a total clearance.

Level 6 (Clear 35 red pegs from 96 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 550k)

The same design as level 1, but with 10 more red pegs, one less ball, and 125k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 408,150
  • Not bad for a first try, only five pegs left at the end, and that was despite having to use about 6 or 7 balls to get through to the yellow peg. I did have to keep the last ball going for quite some time to get there.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 349,860
  • Only one red peg left that time, but far too few points for the pro target.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 592,580 
  • I couldn't get to the yellow peg easily, but I got an early split ball from the white peg which scored well, and then the Big Bounce also scored well, so by the time I'd activated the Laser Ball I had 200k in the bag already. I only got 45k from the laser ball, but it left me with only 10 red pegs to get with 6 balls. A few catches later and it was all over.

Level 7 (Clear 40 red pegs from 96 total, with only 7 balls - Pro target 575k)

The same design as level 4, but with 15 more red pegs, one less ball, and 175k on the pro target. This was the easiest of the designs first time through, but I think I'll still start with a laser ball.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 611,660 
  • I could trigger the laser ball with the first ball, then I got a decent rim bounce with it. This is quite a friendly layout anyway with plenty of easy catches available, so I found it quite a simple finish from that point on.

Level 8 (Clear 35 red pegs from 79 total, with only 6 balls - Pro target 550k)

The same design as level 5, but with 5 more red pegs, two less balls, and 100k on the pro target. Level 5 was pretty tough, and I've seen a number of comments online to indicate that this is the toughest level of the board.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 395,270
  • I found a decent route for the laser ball, although I don't think it's one I could easily replicate. I still didn't come particularly close to the pro target though, and I still had a couple of awkward red pegs left at the end. This is definitely going to need a big slice of luck.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 126,540
  • A dreadful effort. I kept managing to find gaps between the pegs. I'd barely got going when I ran out of balls.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 344,970
  • A better effort, but still over 200k short of the pro target.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 598,990 
  • Very pleased to get this one out of the way after only four attempts. I had an early ball that seemed to ricochet around the pegs for about five minutes, so that gave my score an early boost. I didn't do much with the laser ball, but the Big Bounce worked OK. I needed a bit of luck at the end as even the 50k bucket would have left me just short of the target, but I got the 100k through sheer good fortune.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - red and 65 blue, with only 6 balls - Pro target 575k)

Attempt #1 - Big Bounce. Score: 152,950
  • I only made one catch which wasn't nearly enough. I tried just the Big Bounce, and it worked quite well, but the laser ball might have been better.


Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 675,530 
  • Again, quite pleased to get rid of this one quickly. Just two attempte needed. I nearly messed it up by forgetting that this was now an ALL pegs level. Luckily, when I took out the last red peg with my last ball, I was playing it so fine in an attempt to get into the 100k bucket, that I was worried I might miss entirely so I made the bucket was underneath just in case. I was momentarily startled when I hit the red and the game carried on, but luckily I'd caught the ball, and I only had two more blue pegs left. They were both high and near the side walls, so taking catches off them was not too hard.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 58 blue, with only 6 balls - Pro target 700k)

The same design as level 3, but with 5 less red pegs, two less balls, 275k on the pro target, and a total clearance now needed. That pro target looks awfully large. I haven't hit that score on any level on this board yet.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 212,150
  • I only got the green peg with the very last ball so I didn't get to use the Big Bounce. I didn't score very well with the laser ball either. I felt I had to go for some adventurous shots to get to this pro score, and they didn't tend to come off.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 440,010
  • Considering I didn't get to use the Big Bounce at all, and the laser ball was my very last shot, then this was actually not a bad effort, score-wise. It was only an 80% clearance mind you. I need to get luckier with the placement of the trigger pegs.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 833,180 
  • That was better. The green peg was right on top and the yellow peg was near the top. I got over 100k with my first shot without hitting either of them. I then activated the laser ball but only scored 35k with that. The Big Bounce immediately followed it and that scored 130k. That left me with 19 pegs to remove with 6 balls and 425k still to score, but I knew I had a good chance if I could catch well. I had a couple of useful ricochets, but mostly it was just good solid catching that got me to the finish line.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
96
Reds
9
-
425k
6
458,450
365,540
2
30
65
Reds
9
-
400k
3
596,150
397,963
3
30
83
Reds
8
-
425k
4
588,830
370,745
4
25
96
Reds
8
-
400k
1
692,970
692,970
5
30
79
Reds
8
-
450k
6
618,480
288,740
6
35
96
Reds
8
-
550k
3
592,580
450,196
7
40
96
Reds
7
-
575k
1
611,660
611,660
8
35
79
Reds
6
-
550k
4
598,990
366,442
9
25
65
All
6
-
575k
2
675,530
414,240
10
25
83
All
6
-
700k
3
833,180
495,113

No comments:

Post a Comment