Saturday, February 9, 2013

Board 57: Viking's Bastion

This picture is of the gate of an impressive wooden fortress. Various wooden towers can be seen behind the palings.


Level 1 (Clear 30 red pegs from 100 total - Pro target 525k)

The first design follows some of the detail in the picture, specifically the main wall, the gate and the flanking towers, but not the structure above the main gate.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 613,490 
  • This one didn't look overly promising early on. The pro target seemed quite high and I wasn't sure I was picking up enough early bonuses, but I managed to pick up a few later on, and a good finish helped me over the line.

Level 2 (Clear 30 red pegs from 114 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 550k)

This design follows the classic shape of a horned viking helmet.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 353,020
  • I had loads of red pegs left at the end, but then I only took one catch so it's not surprising.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 301,290
  • Only one red peg left, but a long way short of the pro target. I'll have one more go before I resort to power ups.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 174,860
  • Another dreadful attempt. There must be an angle that takes out the two inner curves at the sides with the first two shots, but I can't seem to find it. If I could get rid off those curves early on, then I'd have a fighting chance, but as it is they just really get in the way.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 446,370
  • The yellow peg was awkward to get to, right down the bottom of the helmet, and then I don't think I picked a very good path for the laser ball. My best score yet, though. A little more luck and I should have this.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 342,330
  • Again, the yellow peg was at the bottom of the design, so again, it took too long to trigger the laser ball. Plus, catches on this level are proving very awkward indeed.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball. Score: 709,580 
  • That was better. I got a yellow peg I could pick off straight away, then found a good path for the laser ball that got an extra rim bounce. After that, there were few enough red pegs left to be able to pick them off at my leisure.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 120 total - Pro target 575k)

This design features two criss-cross designs, one high and one low. I don't know what they're supposed to represent but they're composed of those awkward diamond-shaped pegs that can make for some tricky ricochets.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 386,580
  • I started well enough, but catches in the endgame were awkward to judge. I could have cleared the red pegs, but I needed more points first.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 454,190
  • Again, I had one red peg left which I could have taken, but I needed to try and earn more points first. I'll use the laser ball again.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 455,190
  • I cleared all the red pegs, although the last one was more by luck than judgement, but I fell short of the pro target again. I'm not sure exactly what went wrong but something clearly did.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 247,640
  • I was doomed from the very start there. The yellow peg was utterly unaccessible, right at the very bottom of the lower design. I'd have been better off ignoring it, but I didn't. I kept trying to reach it, and by the time I did, most of the pegs had gone, and I had very few points to show for them.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 688,410 
  • The yellow peg wasn't quite so badly placed this time, but it still wasn't great and it took me several balls to get to it. I came up with a good laser ball, though, and finally managed to string a few catches together in the endgame. I beat it with two or three balls to spare.

Level 4 (Clear 30 red pegs from 117 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 500k)

This design features more criss-crossing. A large collection of interlocking diagonal lines, with a handful of single round pegs amongst them. Some more tricky angles here.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 282,660
  • Again, the angles are awkward. I don't know why I'm bothering trying these designs without power ups first. They all seem particularly tricky.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,054,310 
  • It took a couple of balls to break through to the yellow peg, but the laser ball took out a big chunk of pegs for a fair wedge of points, and that made subsequent catches much easier to engineer. I kept going while I had balls to spare and ended up getting the total clearance for just over a million points.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 108 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 475k)

This design replicates the emblem on the main gate three times.


Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 675,980 
  • I actually did this one twice. I forgot to record it the first time so I did it again. I made the pro target very comfortably both times. Maybe I shouldn't have leaped in with the laser ball, but judging by the previous three levels, I assumed I'd need it. Not much to say about it. It took a couple of goes to get to the yellow peg, but I got a good rim bounce with the laser ball which didn't leave that many red pegs.

Level 6 (Score 450k with 40 red pegs and 74 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 675k)

The same design as level 2, but with 10 more red pegs, and 125k on the pro target. This is now purely a point-scoring exercise which generally makes for an easier level.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 938,890 
  • I managed to clear the reds, although I had the pro target reached long before I got to that point. I got a big score with the laser ball which practically got me to the main target, plus I did well with subsequent catches. I was going for a total clearance, but ended up taking out the last red a few pegs too early.

Level 7 (Clear 35 red pegs from 120 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 675k)

The same design as level 3, but with 10 more red pegs, one less ball, and 100k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 509,670
  • I had to use up a ball to clear a route through to the last red peg, but I couldn't take it as I was still about 200k short of the pro target. In most layouts, the catches get easier as the number of pegs reduces, but the angles are tricky in this level all the way through.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 508,130
  • More badly judged catches, and not much luck with the ricochets either.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 831,120 
  • It took six or seven balls to get through to the yellow peg, although I caught most of them. But the laser ball caught a fantastic rim bounce which took out nearly all of the lower structure. After that it was just a matter of picking off the remaining red pegs. I had to keep a close eye on my score though, as there was still a danger of not making enough for the pro target. As it was I had to take the total clearance to get there.

Level 8 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 75 blue - Pro target 700k)

The same design as level 1, but with 175k more on the pro target and all pegs now needed.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 657,900
  • Two pegs left at the end, but I had some outrageous catches to get that close. I missed way too many catches early on. I may add another power up.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 795,020 
  • I didn't get a huge amount from the Big Bounce, but it may still have made the difference. I think I just got a bit more luck in this attempt. I got to the point of having 9 balls left with just a dozen or so pegs left on the board, so I ended up completing it with several balls in hand.

Level 9 (Clear 45 red pegs from 108 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 575k)

The same design as level 5, but with 20 more red pegs, and 100k on the pro target. I found level 5 quite easy with the laser ball, and this doesn't seem that big a step up.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 749,110 
  • The yellow peg didn't look ideally placed, but I managed to get it with the first ball. I got a split ball with the laser as well, which always helps. The score was pretty much in the bag by then, so I just had to concentrate on taking out all the reds, and I had plenty of balls left to do it with.

Level 10 (Clear 50 red pegs from 117 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 600k)

The same design as level 4, but with 20 more red pegs, one less ball, and 100k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 346,570
  • The yellow peg was badly positioned and it took me two or three pegs to get to it. Plus I didn't really take enough catches.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 575,500
  • I took out the last red peg but couldn't score enough with the final ball. Very irritating! I just needed to avoid the 10k bucket, but it sucked the ball in like a vacuum cleaner.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 803,620 
  • A good rim bounce with the laser ball put the score beyond doubt plus I picked up a few more bonuses later on for good measure. It was still touch and go whether I could then get rid of the remaining red pegs with the balls I had left, but I managed it.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
30
100
Reds
10
-
525k
1
613,490
613,490
2
30
114
Reds
9
-
550k
6
709,580
387,908
3
25
120
Reds
10
-
575k
5
688,410
446,402
4
30
117
Reds
9
-
500k
2
1,054,310
668,485
5
25
108
Reds
9
-
475k
1
675,980
675,980
6
40
114
450k
9
-
675k
1
938,890
938,890
7
35
120
Reds
9
-
675k
3
831,120
616,306
8
25
100
All
10
-
700k
2
795,020
726,460
9
45
108
Reds
9
-
575k
1
749,110
749,110
10
50
117
Reds
8
-
600k
3
803,620
575,230

No comments:

Post a Comment