Thursday, March 14, 2013

Board 51: Verdant Retreat

This picture appears to be a large tree in the middle of a forest with an entrance at its base and several protruding structures at various levels up it, as if it acts as housing for a community of tiny people.


Level 1 (Clear 30 red pegs from 92 total - Pro target 525k)

The first design follows the lines of the picture, particularly those of hanging vines, standing stones, and tiled roofs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 487,920
  • I still needed a few more points, but I was a bit careless with my final shot. To tell the truth I hadn't realised I was down to my last ball or I might have taken more time over it. Still, the final red peg was a bit tricky to get to, so there was no guarantee I would have gone on to clear anyway.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 758,060 
  • I got myself plenty of good ricochets, plus I earned a split ball from the white peg and caught both for a 100k bonus which helped a lot. All the ricochets cleared a lot of pegs and earned quite a few extra balls to boot. I ended up making a total clearance.

Level 2 (Clear 30 red pegs from 91 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 725k)

This design features two sets of three curved lines, with a triangle of three teleport portals that all lead to a single receiver in the top right corner.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 460,790
  • I struggled to score points on this one. I was nowhere near the pro target so I was forced to be ambitious with my shot selection, so I eventually ran out of balls. But even if I'd made the catches, it looked like I was going to run out pf pegs before I got to the target anyway.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 813,520 
  • I got a few useful bonuses along the way, and one or two ricochets that seemed to go on for an age. The very first ball took out 42 pegs for a total score of 210k. I still had to mostly pick off the purple peg wall first towards the end, but I had enough balls in hand to be able to do that.

Level 3 (Clear 30 red pegs from 91 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 625k)

This design features two curvy lines twisting around each other, and a bunch of single round pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 344,300
  • Not enough catches made. And not enough decent ricochets either.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 345,330
  • I made more catches, but the bonuses just wouldn't come. The reds all seemed to be in just the wrong position. It's worth one more go, I think, before I add a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 401,840
  • I got some much better bonuses that time. The reds seemed much better positioned. Unfortunately, my catching my lousy and I missed a bunch of catches that I really should have taken.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 474,830
  • The yellow peg was awkwardly placed, and the catches wouldn't come either. OK, I'm bored of this level now. I need to finish it.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 362,900
  • This one is harder than it looks. Even with the laser ball, I don't seem to be making much headway. Although I still haven't had a yellow peg in plain sight. That might make a difference.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball. Score: 393,540
  • I got the yellow peg with the first shot that time, so I can't use that as an excuse. I'm reluctant to use a second power up so early in the board, but I think I'm going to have to.

Attempt #7 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 483,580
  • Even with two power ups in place, I'm still struggling. What's going on? Only one red peg left that time, but I was struggling for points. The Big Bounce was a bit of a disaster, though.

Attempt #8 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 814,820 
  • Well it's about bloody time! Everything came together a bit better this time. The catches working much better seemed to be the biggest factor. I had plenty of balls left in the endgame so I could go on through the pro target and keep going for the total clearance.

Level 4 (Clear 30 red pegs from 92 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 575k)

This design is slightly funnel-shaped with a mixture of curved and straight lines sloping down towards the centre.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 569,120
  • I really thought I had that then. I just needed to make that one last catch and then I could have taken the last red for a guaranteed pro score.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 449,620
  • Not as close that time. I managed to leave all the central pegs til last and they're the most awkward to make catches off. I should probably concentrate on those pegs earlier.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 695,230 
  • I made sure I took out the central pegs first that time. It allowed for easier catches and better chances of distance bonuses later on. I took a total clearance in the end without too much difficulty.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 101 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 600k)

This design features a straight line through the centre of the tree, with two curves either side of it that follow the approximate curve of the tree. Plus a few loose round pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 246,770
  • Way too many missed catches there. A pretty lousy effort really. I can do better than that.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 339,340
  • That was certainly a better effort, but I was still short of catches in the endgame when they're most important. I reckon it's worth one more try before I add a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 291,880
  • I made quite a few more catches, but I still couldn't get anywhere near the pro target. I'll add a laser ball.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 952,930 
  • I got the yellow peg with the first ball, took out a whole bunch of pegs with the laser ball, and then went about picking off what was left one or two at a time. I got down to one red peg left and kept going with the purple pegs to see if I could get a total clearance. Once I got down to one ball left, though, it was no longer worth the risk, so I took the last red for an easy deflection into the 100k bucket.

Level 6 (Score 450k with 30 red pegs and 61 blue, with only 8 balls - Pro target 725k)

The same design as level 3, but with one less ball, 100k on the pro target, and only a score to aim at. This design was a complete nightmare first time around, so fortunately this doesn't look much harder.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 817,190 
  • I needed two power ups to get through level 3, so I thought I'd jump straight in with both this. As it happened, I probably didn't need the Big Bounce, as I don't think it gained me much, and I'd already done most of the work with the laser ball and the shots leading up to it. I had the pro score guaranteed with several balls in hand so I kept going for a total clearance.

Level 7 (Score 500k with 30 red pegs and 62 blue, with only 8 balls - Pro target 725k)

The same design as level 4, but with one less ball, 150k on the pro target, and just a score to aim at. I didn't need a power up for level 4, but it did take me three attempts and I still didn't manage a score this high so I'll start with a laser ball.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 655,840
  • I got the clearance but not the pro score. If I could have got the yellow peg earlier, that might have helped.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 565,090
  • I failed to clear the central pegs early and they really got in the way in the endgame. With them still in place, there are just no catches available.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 698,130
  • Thought I had that one. I got down to three pegs left, one of which was red, on the last ball with 75k still needed for the pro score. I tried to take a catch off the purple peg, but caught the red one as well. I finished in a 10k bucket to be just over 25k short. Disappointing.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 300,210
  • Both trigger pegs were a nightmare to get to. In fact, I only got the green peg with the very last ball, so I never got a chance to use it. I made very few catches. All in all, best to forget about this one and move on.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 791,990 
  • It took until the third ball, I think, to get through to the yellow peg, but once triggered, the laser ball did a good job, getting a near perfect rim bounce. The Big Bounce then did well as well, taking out quite a few pegs and getting a double score off the white peg to boot. It all gave me plenty of balls to work with in the endgame, so I could make a total clearance, leaving an easy deflection into the 100k bucket to finish.

Level 8 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 67 blue - Pro target 600k)

The same design as level 1, but 5 less red pegs, 75k on the pro target, and all pegs now required. On level 1 I did get a total clearance with plenty of points on just my second attempt, so I think I'll have a go without power ups first.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 614,500 
  • I'm quite pleased to get that one at the first attempt and without power ups. I didn't think I was going to be able to accumulate enough points, but I managed to keep going, getting some lucky catches and bonuses along the way. I definitely rode my luck a bit, but sometimes you need that.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 66 blue - Pro target 625k)

The same design as level 2, but with 5 less red pegs, one more ball, 100k less on the pro target, and a total clearance required.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 427,380
  • I seemed to start well enough, but I soon ran low on balls. I seemed to get hardly any portals this time which was a little strange. I'll add a laser ball.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 406,120
  • The laser ball didn't work very well. It's always difficult to judge the path of a laser ball when there are teleport portals all over the place. I might try swapping it for a Big Bounce.

Attempt #3 - Big Bounce. Score: 1,003,010 
  • I had some decent luck with my ricochets, particularly with the Big Bounce. I thought I might have triggered it too early as sometimes it can get hemmed in if there are too many pegs around. But it worked like a dream, jumping through portals all over the place, and taking out quite a few pegs with each bounce. I must have earned about 300k from that ball alone. Swapping out the laser ball for it turned out to be a great decision. I had plenty of balls left in the endgame, so I could take on some more adventurous shots towards the end, and it paid off with a score of just over a million.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 76 blue - Pro target 675k)

The same design as level 5, but with one more ball, 75k on the pro target and a total clearance required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 858,600 
  • I was down to a single energy, so in the interests of finishing the board in this session, I jumped straight in with both my usual power ups. It may well have been possible with just one as I accomplished the total clearance with a pro score quite easily. There were a few lucky catches in there, but then you generally expect a certain amount of luck.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
30
92
Reds
10
-
525k
2
758,060
622,990
2
30
91
Reds
9
-
725k
2
813,520
637,155
3
30
91
Reds
9
-
625k
8
814,820
452,642
4
30
92
Reds
9
-
575k
3
695,230
571,323
5
25
101
Reds
9
-
600k
4
952,930
457,730
6
30
91
450k
8
-
725k
1
817,190
817,190
7
30
92
500k
8
-
725k
5
791,990
602,252
8
25
92
All
10
-
600k
1
614,500
614,500
9
25
91
All
10
-
625k
3
1,003,010
612,170
10
25
101
All
10
-
675k
1
858,600
858,600

No comments:

Post a Comment