Friday, March 8, 2013

Board 52: Unicorn Canyon

This picture is of a steep-sided canyon with a river at the bottom. There are huge unicorn heads carved into both sides of the canyon.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 102 total - Pro target 600k)

The first design follows some of the curves in the picture with some single round pegs as well.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 306,220
  • I struggled to make catches early and was quickly low on balls.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 689,800 
  • I didn't make that many early catches, but I got a lot of good ricochets all the way through which really helped clear the pegs and rack up the points. I could probably have gone on to make a total clearance had I needed to, but once I was down to my last ball, with the pro target already passed, it wasn't worth the risk so I just finished it.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 95 total - Pro target 625k)

This design features three sets of three concentric curves with a handful of diamond-shaped pegs above and some round ones below.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 571,750
  • Not too far off. I could have gone for a finish but I needed a big final bucket, and that didn't likely from where the final red peg was, so I was trying to take an extra catch off the purple peg and missed it.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 272,480
  • A dreadful lack of catches early on left me with no chance. I took a few catches once I was down to the final ball, but I knew it was going nowhere.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 209,340
  • And not a single catch to be had that time at all. I guess I'd better add a laser ball If I want to get through this one.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 684,700 
  • I was going to add a laser ball, but I forgot, and as it happens, I didn't need it after all. I got lots of bonuses all the way through - pretty much every ball seemed to pick up at least 25k from somewhere. Some late ricochets helped me take a total clearance, comfortably above the pro target.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 100 total - Pro target 625k)

This design features two horn-like projections with a double row of round pegs zig-zagging between them.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 464,930
  • I only had one red peg left which I could have got, but I still neede nearly 200k for the pro score, so I needed more points first.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 458,120
  • Very similar to the previous go. I think I had two reds left that time, but I was deliberately avoiding them while I earned some more points. One more try I think.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 446,110
  • Again, clearing the pegs was not as much of a problem as earning the points. I've no doubt that it's possible without power ups, but three attempts is enough I think. I'll add a laser ball.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 909,310 
  • The points still didn't come particularly easily, but then I made a lot of catches, and the laser ball worked well, earning me more extra balls. In the end I had more balls than I knew what to do with, so I could attempt all manner of interesting shots with impunity. I made a total clearance and still had half a dozen or more balls in hand at the end.

Level 4 (Clear 30 red pegs from 95 total - Pro target 550k)

This design comprises mainly vertical lines. Four solid ones, and five dotted with clusters of round pegs at the bottom. I'm not sure of the connection to the picture - maybe the waterfalls?


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 573,490 
  • I got pretty lucky with bonuses here. The balls seemed to pick out the red pegs with uncommon accuracy, picking up big distance bonuses all over the place. I suspect this layout is probably harder than I made it look here.

Level 5 (Clear 35 red pegs from 102 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 625k)

This design looks like a rainbow arching between two clouds. I don't suppose that's what it's supposed to look like as we have no rainbows in the picture, but that's what it looks like to me.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 737,490 
  • I got lucky again on this one, although this one probably had a higher percentage of skill than the last one. There were definitely some useful bonuses that came along at important moments, though.

Level 6 (Score 500k with 30 red pegs and 65 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 850k)

The same design as level 2, but with 5 more red pegs, one less ball, 225k on the pro target, but only a score required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,008,530 
  • I got the yellow peg with the first ball, but also scored a really good sweep with it as well. Then the laser ball took out a good chunk of pegs for quite a lot of pegs, and then catches seemed to come pretty easily after that. I got a total clearance for just over a million points, and that's despite only getting 20k for the final bucket bonus.

Level 7 (Clear 40 red pegs from 100 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 550k)

The same design as level 3, but with 15 more red pegs, one less ball, and 75k less on the pro score.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 809,510 
  • I didn't get the yellow peg with the first ball, but I did clear quite a lot of pegs with it, so I could get through to the yellow peg on the second ball. I could have done better with the laser ball, but my catches were working well, and I had a few lucky ones and some handy unexpected bonuses, so it turned out quite easy.

Level 8 (Clear 35 red pegs from 102 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 700k)

The same design as level 1, but with 10 more red pegs, one less ball, and 100k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 336,320
  • I struggled to make enough catches without any power ups. I'll add a laser ball.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 802,940 
  • I got the yellow peg with the second ball, and could have done better with the laser ball, but it was enough. It's not a particularly tricky layout, and I probably could have done it without a power up if I'd persevered for a few attempts, but I couldn't be bothered. I have, after all, got a lot of boards still to go.

Level 9 (Clear 40 red pegs from 95 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 525k)

The same design as level 4, but with 10 more red pegs, one less ball, and 25k less on the pro target. Another level where the pro target has gone down the second time around. What's that all about?

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 324,390
  • I didn't make enough catches. I dare say I can do better than that, but I'll use a laser ball anyway.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 625,650 
  • A bizarre finish to this one. I had three red pegs left and several balls in hand. I went for the purple peg off the side wall, but hit one of the reds instead. The ball then bounced off the rim of the bucket onto one of the other red pegs for a bonus, then off the rim again, and onto the last red peg for another bonus! I was still building towards the pro target so hadn't planned on finishing, but all those bonuses made me more than enough points for a pro score. I didn't think I was going to get it at first as it took me several balls to get the yellow peg.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 35 red and 67 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 750k)

The same design as level 5, but with 125k on the pro target and a total clearance now needed. I did this layout in one attempt without power ups last time, although I got quite lucky. I'll need a laser ball this time.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 852,330
  • I had two pegs left at the end, both right next to each other. I tried to take them both out with the same ball by shooting right between them, but the ball only hit one of them. Very annoying as I was well over the pro target.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 823,470
  • Five pegs left that time. I should have made more catches, particularly towards the end.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 893,120
  • Unbelievable! I got myself into the same position as the first attempt. I had two pegs left, right next to each, and only ball. This time I tried to take them one at a time, but missed the first catch. This is starting to get irritating.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 514,600
  • Nowhere near that time. I wasted a couple of balls trying to get to the yellow peg, then the laser ball triggered the Big Bucket bonus which always messes up the angles. Plus very few of my catch attempts worked.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 988,530 
  • Got it that time, but another bizarre finish. I actually managed to get a ball into one of the final buckets that never opens. And what did I get for it? A paltry six thousand points. The final peg to go was really low and I contrived to hit it from beneath by bouncing of the bucket, so that one of the balls was already inside the cover of the mystery bucket when it appeared. Oh well, at least I know how much the mystery buckets score now.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
102
Reds
10
-
600k
2
689,800
498,010
2
25
95
Reds
10
-
625k
4
684,700
434,567
3
25
100
Reds
10
-
625k
4
909,310
569,617
4
30
95
Reds
10
-
550k
1
573,490
573,490
5
35
102
Reds
9
-
625k
1
737,490
737,490
6
30
95
500k
9
-
850k
1
1,008,530
1,008,530
7
40
100
Reds
9
-
550k
1
809,510
809,510
8
35
102
Reds
9
-
700k
2
802,940
569,630
9
40
95
Reds
9
-
525k
2
625,650
475,020
10
35
102
All
9
-
750k
5
988,530
814,410

No comments:

Post a Comment