Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Board 125: Prey Jungle

This picture is a simple one, showing a tiger in the jungle staring balefully out at the viewer.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 90 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 650k)

The first design features a pattern consisting of a round peg with four diamond-shaped pegs fanning out above it, a bit like a tiger's paw print. This pattern is repeated 18 times across the screen.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 193,840
  • Lots of awkward angles here making catches very hard to engineer. I'll give it another go, but I suspect this will need a laser ball.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 366,640
  • A definite improvement, but still catches were not easy and clearing the red pegs was a challenge. I'll use that laser ball now.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 440,450
  • I took a gamble on getting a 100k bonus to finish, but only managed 50k. I probably should have waited for a good opportunity for a purple peg catch or two instead.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 832,480 
  • When I saw the location of the yellow peg I thought this was going to be a disaster. It was low down to the left with a host of pegs in the way. It didn't take too many balls to get there though, but it did take quite a few pegs out on the left-hand side, so I concentrated the laser ball on the opposite side. The laser ball worked a treat, getting a good rim bounce, and taking out of a lot of pegs for a big score. After that there was plenty of space to make catches and I took a total clearance.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 85 total - Pro target 425k)

The second design looks like four tiger fingertips, each with a long sharp claw protruding from the end.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 483,870
  • I had the points for the pro score but I ran out of balls one red peg short. Close but no cigar.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 255,450
  • About four red pegs left and nowhere near the pro target. I'll give it one more go, but if I get nowhere near again, I'll use a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 492,240 
  • I got the hang of the catches a bit better that time. I very nearly managed a total clearance, but once I got down to my last ball, it wasn't worth to risk so I left two pegs behind.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 87 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 400k)

The third design follows some of the lines in the picture for the foliage, plus lots of diamond shaped pegs across the undergrowth.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 528,110
  • I missed quite a few early catches. I made a lot of catches in the endgame, but I'd lost too many balls already to make it all the way.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 434,540 
  • This time, I more or less abandoned the attempts at ricochets and sweeps, and went for single peg catches from very early on. They're actually pretty straightforward here. I cleared the central pegs first, then worked outwards from there. I ignored the colour of the peg to start with, as waiting for the right purple peg would have taken all night. I played purple pegs more later on as more pegs became available to take catches off. I would have liked the total clearance, but I was running short on balls so I went for the finish.

Level 4 (Clear 25 red pegs from 95 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 500k)

The fourth design is of two fern leaves like those in front of the tiger's face.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 198,670
  • I didn't make any catches, and that's never going to work. I don't think they were that hard, I just kept mistiming everything.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 387,500
  • I cleared the reds that time, but I struggled for bonuses so my score was well down. The last red went off a deflection, although I still needed quite a few points and I only had one ball in hand so my hopes were not overly high. I think the red pegs could have been positioned better though.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 325,470
  • Again, the reds seemed awkwardly placed and I struggled for early catches and bonuses. I'll use a laser ball.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 482,280
  • The yellow peg was tricky to get to, and I didn't take out enough red pegs with the laser when I got it. It left me too many red pegs to clear and not enough balls to do it with.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 572,700 
  • I got the yellow peg with the first ball. I did OK with the laser ball, although the rim bounce was poor. I didn't make many catches, but I managed to clear the red pegs, and the laser ball gave me enough points for Pro.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 93 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 450k)

The fifth design is a close up of the tiger's face, showing his eyes, nose and stripy forehead.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 156,240
  • I may have made a couple of catches, but they were both lucky ones. There's probably no point trying this again without a power up.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 595,120 
  • I cleared the reds and got enough points for pro, but it wasn't a particularly inspiring game.

Level 6 (Clear 40 red pegs from 87 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 675k)

The same design as level 3, but with 15 more red pegs and 275k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 703,670 
  • I used up quite a lot of balls early on, but resorted to single peg catches with a lot of pegs left and picked my way through. I wanted a total clearance, but clumsily left the blue peg in the very top right corner until last and couldn't hit it without taking out the last red peg immediately below it instead. I'd done enough though.

Level 7 (Score 475k with 35 red pegs and 50 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 2, but with 10 more red pegs, one less ball, 225k on the pro target, but just a score to go for.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 578,790
  • Enough points for victory, but not for pro. I lost several balls trying to get to the yellow peg, and then didn't do very well with the laser ball. Not the best of efforts.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 969,110 
  • I got a hold on the catches much better that time. It's just a matter of remembering that 90% of balls will get shunted out to the left, so I was just firing them into the design for a ricochet, and timing it so the bucket should be on the left when the ball comes out again. It allowed me to make a comfortable total clearance with 5 or 6 balls in hand.

Level 8 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 65 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 600k)

The same design as level 1, but the pro target is less by 50k, and a total clearance is now needed.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 420,300
  • 94% clearance, which was 4 or 5 pegs left. Some clumsy catching towards the end really.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 469,520
  • Another 94% clearance. The catches in the endgame are proving to be harder than they look like they should be.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 283,290
  • Only 82% that time, as the catches really didn't seem to go my way. I'll add a Big Bounce and see if that helps.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 738,350 
  • I managed to find a route through to the yellow peg with the first ball, despite its awkward location. The rim bounce with the laser ball was effectively useless though. The green peg went next which was a little earlier than I would have liked. The Big Bounce ball took out a lot of pegs, but nearly all of them were before the first bounce - after that it got stuck down the bottom and took out hardly anything else, so the trampoline itself was fairly useless as well. My catching was better however, and I made it all the way through for a total clearance.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 70 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 600k)

The same design as level 4, but with 100k on the pro target, and all pegs are now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 900,600 
  • I got the yellow peg with the first ball, then did quite well with the laser ball. After that I concentrated for the most part on single peg catches and worked my my gradually through the pegs.

Level 10 (Score 575k with 35 red pegs and 58 blue, with only 6 balls and a three second shot-clock - Pro target 700k)

The same design as level 5, but with 10 more red pegs, three less balls, 250k on the pro target, but just a score to go for.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 576,790
  • I got the points for the basic victory, but was a little way short of pro. I missed quite a few catches though so it's certainly worth another try.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 484,040
  • The yellow peg was very awkwardly placed that time, and by the time I activated the laser ball I only had one ball left. The laser ball earned me a couple back, but it still wasn't enough.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 528,890
  • Again, the yellow peg was tricky to get to. I think I'd have a good chance at this if can just get a yellow peg that's accessible.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 631,210
  • I managed to get the yellow peg with the first ball, and catch it too, but I still couldn't make it to the pro target. I'll add a Big Bounce.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 725,490 
  • I guess the Big Bounce made the difference. I got the yellow peg with the first ball, and did OK with the laser ball. I managed to take quite a few catches in the endgame, and only missed out on a total clearance by two pegs.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
90
Reds
9
-
650k
4
832,480
458,352
2
25
85
Reds
10
-
425k
3
492,240
410,520
3
25
87
Reds
9
-
400k
2
528,110
481,325
4
25
95
Reds
9
-
500k
5
572,700
393,324
5
25
93
Reds
9
-
450k
2
595,120
375,680
6
40
87
Reds
9
-
675k
1
703,670
703,670
7
35
85
475k
9
-
650k
2
969,110
773,950
8
25
90
All
9
-
600k
4
738,350
477,865
9
25
95
All
9
-
600k
1
900,600
900,600
10
35
93
575k
6
3s
700k
5
725,490
589,284

No comments:

Post a Comment