Monday, December 31, 2012

Board 62: Golden Glade

This picture is of a magical-looking garden with a golden frog fountain, a golden gate and a fairy in the foreground.


Level 1 (Clear 35 red pegs from 93 total - Pro target 475k)

We start with a moving design. It features a descending series of six sets of diamond pegs arranged in squares. They take it in turns to make a single rotation, each in the opposite direction to the previous one.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 440,570
  • Only one red peg left, and quite close to the pro target so not a bad first attempt. With a fairly solid barrier across the centre of the screen, catches are not easy, but I only made 7 from the 10 balls, so that could be improved.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 439,780
  • I didn't mean to finish when I did. I was just shooting the ball straight into the bucket while waiting for the purple peg to go somewhere useful, but I forgot that the last red peg was one of the moving ones and it spun into the path of the ball as I fired it. I would have still made the target if I'd avoided the 10k bucket at the end, but I didn't.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 547,240 
  • I got a good first ball that took out the entire set of top curved pegs, bar one, plus I got an early, and high, Split Ball from the white peg which scored me quite a few points and took out quite a lot pegs. After that it was plain sailing.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 90 total - Pro target 425k)

This design features three trees of varying height. Each tree is made up mainly of slanted pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 231,160
  • The red pegs seemed to be particularly awkwardly placed there. I was struggling to earn any bonuses.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 357,170
  • Much closer that time. At least I got down to a single red peg, but I was looking to score bonuses off the purple peg when I ran out of balls.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 534,900 
  • Got it at the third attempt, mainly down to one lucky ball that rescued me towards the end. It took out 5 of the remaining 6 pegs and earned an extra ball as well. It hadn't looked promising at the start as reds were awkwardly placed, but I got there in the end.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 126 total - Pro target 425k)

This design features nine identical flowers spread across the screen. There are an awful lot of loose pegs here and negotiating them to get to the red ones could be a nightmare.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 345,920
  • Yes, finding a course through all those blue pegs was a nightmare. I still had several red pegs left at the end, and earning bonuses was tricky as well, so I was short of points too. Let's use a laser ball, they were made for levels like this.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 489,230 
  • The laser ball certainly helped. It took a couple of balls to get through to the trigger peg, but after that it was fairly plain sailing.

Level 4 (Clear 30 red pegs from 110 total - Pro target 500k)

This design follows the picture quite closely, so it's a mixture of straight lines, curves and individual pegs. These sort of designs are often tricky to negotiate as the angles are all over the place.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 284,640
  • I really struggled to make catches and in particular bonuses here. That might in part be due to the reds being awkwardly positioned. Worth another go.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 415,220
  • A big improvement, but still four red pegs left at the end. I only made 2 catches though, and that's not enough. One more go.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 491,710
  • How stupid! I had one red peg left and only 10k left to score. I thought I could take it easily off the side wall even though I didn't need to, and misjudged it completely. I should have just shot it directly.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 316,310
  • One red peg left again, but quite a long way short of the pro target, but the reds seemed awkwardly placed again. I'm definitely getting closer.

Attempt #5 - No power ups. Score: 201,070
  • The reds were badly positioned again, and I struggled for points and pegs. I'm still annoyed with myself for not finishing when I had the chance, but I'll get it over with with a laser ball.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball. Score: 598,720 
  • Much easier with a laser ball, of course. Several balls to spare at the end. I could see there was an almost certain 100k bonus off the last red, so I went for it despite still needing quite a few points.

Level 5 (Clear 30 red pegs from 129 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 450k)

This design is a close-up of the ornate metal gates in the picture. Lots of curves, and a few straight lines and individual pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 133,620
  • Lots of red pegs left at the end. The angles are all over the place. This is going to need a laser ball.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 447,290
  • Even with the laser ball, I was still two short of clearing the red pegs. I had the pro target score though.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 694,880 
  • It took several balls to break through to an awkwardly placed yellow peg. By the time I did. I'd taken out a large chunk of the right hand side, but nothing at all on the left. It meant I could concentrate on the left side with the laser. I also got a late Split Ball and caught both for a big bonus. After that I think I had 6 balls to take out just 8 remaining red pegs, and not many points left to score either.

Level 6 (Clear 40 red pegs from 90 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 525k)

The same design as level 2, but a lot more red pegs, one less ball and 100k more points required for the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 341,730
  • Only 4 catches made which isn't enough. I'll need to do better than that.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 645,700 
  • A much better second effort. A dozen catches or so and that made life so much easier. I also got a reasonable rim bounce off the laser ball.

Level 7 (Clear 35 red pegs from 126 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 625k)

The same design as level 3, but 10 more red pegs, one less ball and 200k more points required for the pro target. It took a laser ball last time so I'll need to start with that at least.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 320,910
  • Only 2 red pegs left at the end, but nowhere near the required pro score.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 595,050
  • Two red pegs left again, but it felt a lot closer. I missed a couple of catches on the trot right at the end, but up until then I felt fairly in control.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 667,510 
  • I was torn at the end. I had two red pegs left and only one ball. I knew I could deflect off one of them into to 100k bucket, so I wanted to leave it for the end, but the other was a tricky catch. I took the easy catch first, then trusted to luck off the other peg and fortunately ended up in the 100k bucket anyway.

Level 8 (Score 500k with 35 red pegs and 94 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 725k)

The same design as level 5, a handful of extra red pegs, but points make prizes here and I need a lot of them.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 603,500
  • No problem getting the 500k, but the 725k was a little tougher. I misjudged quite a lot of catches which I should have done better at though. It didn't feel like a very good attempt.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 535,970
  • The reds felt awkwardly placed this time. They were all away from the side walls making rebound bonuses hard to get. I lost several balls for not many points clearing some of the blue pegs away from the sides so I could get to the red ones.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 856,960 
  • I rode my luck a bit with some of those bonuses. But the extra rim bounce off the bucket with the laser ball was played for, and that made a big difference early on, and were quite a few good catches in amongst the luck ones.

Level 9 (Clear 40 red pegs from 110 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 550k)

The same design as level 4. Only 10 more red pegs, but this was the toughest of the layouts, so it'll be no pushover.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 604,630
  • No problem with the score, but quite a few red pegs left at the end. But then it did take me an age to get through to the yellow ball which was awkwardly positioned low and to the right.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 666,070 
  • The reds were better positioned this time. I got lots of early bonuses while breaking through to the yellow peg. Then concentrated the laser ball on the other side and then picked off what was left. Forgot to start the recorder though, so no video.

    I got it again on the next attempt for the video, although I struggled to clear the red pegs, despite being able to get the yellow peg with the first shot. A very timely extra ball right at the end helped me finish with a score of 693,420.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 35 red and 58 blue, with only 9 balls and a 3s shot-clock - Pro target 750k)

The same moving design as level 1, but a total clearance needed now and with a short shot-clock.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 917,560 
  • Quite pleased to get this one at the first attempt. A three second shot-clock means you have to do some pretty quick thinking and have very little time to set shots up. I needed to avoid two 10k bonuses at the end, although the two 100k bonuses I actually got was a certain amount of overkill.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
35
93
Reds
10
-
475k
3
547,240
475,863
2
25
90
Reds
10
-
425k
3
534,900
374,410
3
25
126
Reds
10
-
425k
2
489,230
417,575
4
30
110
Reds
10
-
500k
6
598,720
384,611
5
30
129
Reds
9
-
450k
3
694,880
425,263
6
40
90
Reds
9
-
525k
2
645,700
493,715
7
35
126
Reds
9
-
625k
3
667,510
527,823
8
35
129
500k
9
-
725k
3
856,960
665,476
9
40
110
Reds
9
-
550k
2
666,070
635,350
10
35
93
All
9
3s
750k
1
917,560
917,560

No comments:

Post a Comment