Monday, December 3, 2012

Board 88: Ant Hills

A picture showing a number of ant hills as seen from an ant's eye view. Although these ants and their hills are all very anthropomorphic.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 94 total - Pro target 450k)

A mass of evenly spread diamond shaped single pegs. Catches will probably be a nightmare as the angles look impossible to read. I'll need to get some early balls to take out lots of pegs, I suspect.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 564,920 
  • That was easier than I expected actually. I didn't make many catches, at least at first, but once most of the pegs had gone down the right hand side, catches were much more forthcoming, so I could pick off some easier ones before finishing of the red pegs.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 98 total - Pro target 500k)

This design follows the curves of the various walkways around the main two ant hills.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 601,070 
  • Another level that proved pretty easy. I finished it with several balls to spare.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 103 total - Pro target 450k)

This design has curvy lines where the grass in, a couple of loops with antennae over the ants' heads, and then circular single pegs over the ant hills. There are lots of low pegs which are harder to judge rebounds off, so that could make it awkward, but again, it doesn't look too bad.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 593,710 
  • Three goes, three pro scores so far on this board. If anything, they're getting easier. There's probably a real stinker to come somewhere. I probably did ride my luck a little with this one as the catches seemed to come very easily.

Level 4 (Clear 20 red pegs from 50 total - Pro target 400k)

This design is that of an ant warren with a network of tunnels that weave their way down the screen. Obstacles are always awkward, but there aren't many pegs to worry about. Indeed, only two red pegs need to be taken per ball. The pro target might be tricky though.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 261,260
  • One red peg left at the end, but quite a way short of the pro target. Only one catch made though, so that could be improved. Hopefully my score will improve as I get used to the angles.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 519,640 
  • I had a better idea of the angles required this time, so I made more catches and wasted fewer balls. I got the total clearance and ended up making the pro target comfortably.

Level 5 (Clear 20 red pegs from 126 total - Pro target 400k)

This design features three fly-shaped structures, with a few clusters of individual pegs. 20 doesn't seem very many red pegs, but there are a lot of blues to get in the way.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 516,040 
  • Actually not that difficult. If you can get a ball to stick between the uppermost leg of the top left ant, it will fall down through the centre of both that ant and the one below, taking out a lot of pegs and earning a big bonus. Do something similar on the third ant and most of the work is done.

Level 6 (Clear 40 red pegs from 103 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 575k)

The same design as level 3. Well I finished level 3 first time with a score that would have been good enough for pro here, so it has to be worth attempting without power ups.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 456,660
  • Still about three reds left at the end, but I could have done better.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 478,010
  • Much the same as last time. Not enough early catches puts the pressure on too early. I'm reduced to taking one peg at a time with too many left to realistically expect to keep it going all the wat to the end.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 294,950
  • Not a single catch, so not a very good effort really.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 587,050 
  • Some much better catching than on previous attempts. I stretched out my 9 balls to 25 shots. Most of those came towards the end, but it was the early catches that made the differences.

Level 7 (Score 475k with 35 red pegs and 63 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 700k)

The same design as level 2. The pro target might be a bit of a stretch, but there's more red pegs this time so that might boost it a bit.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 612,030
  • This one went pretty well, although I daresay it could have gone better. I took 19 shots which could probably be improved upon.

Level 8 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 69 blue - Pro target 700k)

The same design as level 1. I've not used a power up yet, so I shall continue and see how far I get.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 229,150
  • I can't see this pro score being reached without a power up. I was a long, long way short of it then. Bonuses are tricky to earn because the pegs are so spread out.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 327,180
  • I missed the total clearance by a single peg having missed the final catch by a whisker. Of course, I was a long way short of the pro target again. The main problem was the yellow peg being right down the bottom in the middle - the worst possible position. It took several pegs to hit it, and by the time I did, there were no clusters left to aim the laser at.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 404,110
  • 95% clearance which is about 5 pegs remaining. The yellow was in plain sight at the top this time, but I still struggled to score off it. The score was better this time but there's a long way to go.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 725,240 
  • I wasn't hopeful when I saw the location of the yellow peg. It was right down the bottom, but at least it was to one side. It took a few balls to get to it, and wiped out most of the right-hand side. But I concentrated the laser ball on the left hand side and got a very helpful second bounce off it as well. I picked off most of the rest individually, concentrating on the purple peg for maximum points. I managed to leave a good last peg to drop a ball straight in the 100k bucket at the end, and it was just enough.

Level 9 (Clear 30 red pegs from 126 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 550k)

The same design as level 5. I managed to find a good line on level 5 that took out a lot of pegs at a sweep, so I'll be looking to find that again.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 372,350
  • Only one red peg left at the end, and a fair way short of the target, but I failed to find the angles that I did last time I played this design. If I can find the shot that falls all the way down through both ants on the left hand side, there shouldn't be a problem.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 59,510
  • I only made two catches, and earned a single 25k bonus. Still looking for that perfect first ball, but that was a dreadful effort.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 555,510 
  • I still couldn't find that perfect ball that I got on level 5, but as it happened, I didn't need it. It didn't look particularly hopeful at the start, but I managed to keep it going, got a bit lucky at times, and left myself with a shot into the 100k bucket off the last red peg to scrape over the line.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 20 red and 30 blue, with a 5s shot-clock - Pro target 575k)

The same design as level 4, but a total clearance is required and there is a dreaded shot clock. I did get a total clearance last time, albeit not with a score quite high enough to make this target, but I'll try it without power ups to start with.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 375,680
  • Only one peg left at the end which was proving awkward to reach. The shot clock didn't have much affect, to be honest. I tend to make my mind up pretty quickly about what shot to play next, and 5 seconds is generally enough. Accumulating enough points could well be the tricky bit, but if I can leave a central peg, then picking up the full 200k bonus is not out of the question.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 305,200
  • Four pegs left that time. Only two catches made, so a little more luck needed. Plus I need to have a few more attempts to get used to the unusual angles. This can definitely be done without power ups, so I want to persevere for a while longer like that. Plus I'm not sure how much power ups would help anyway.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 444,040
  • Two pegs left. But I wasted two balls near the end in complete misses, and the second was an identical shot to the first! My best score yet, but I would have struggled to get a decent final bonus as both pegs were together on the far right.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 305,200
  • I only had a couple of pegs left, despite using up several balls trying to find an angle to reach a lone peg on the right-hand side. The score was rubbish though.

Attempt #5 - No power ups. Score: 233,660
  • Four pegs left. Again, I got stuck with the middle peg of the five in a row on the far right, and that peg on its own is nigh on impossible to hit. So I used up a load of balls trying to find the elusive angle to hit it.

Attempt #6 - No power ups. Score: 366,510
  • Well I cleared all the pegs at least which finishes the board, but I still have this one and level 7 to reach pro on before I get the Ace. Also on the positive side, I think I've found an angle that takes out that awkward middle peg on the far right.

Level 7 (Score 475k with 35 red pegs and 63 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 700k)

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 395,040
  • Only four catches, which just isn't enough. Just 86% clearance. I can certainly do better than that.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 594,830
  • A better score, but otherwise not much improvement. I made a few more catches, but the clearance was only 84% that time. I'll finish it off with a laser ball.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 890,960 
  • As I suspected, as soon as the laser ball is added it becomes very straightforward. I got a total clearance, with a score well in excess of the pro target, and with about 3 balls unused at the end.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 20 red and 30 blue, with a 5s shot-clock - Pro target 575k)

Attempt #7 - Big Bounce & Gravity Ball. Score: 566,470
  • I felt it was time to add a power up or two. I'm not convinced the laser ball is going to add a great deal so I've gone for the Big Bounce / Gravity Ball combination. It very nearly worked. I got the total clearance, and was less than 10k short of the target.

Attempt #8 - Big Bounce & Gravity Ball. Score: 549,500
  • Again, I got the total clearance, but again my score fell just short. I think this is the right power up combination. It's only a matter of time before I get that little bit of luck that I'm missing.

Attempt #9 - Big Bounce & Gravity Ball. Score: 671,280 
  • That was the bit of luck I needed. I managed to finish the clearance with a peg in the centre, and sure enough, both balls fell into the 100k bucket. One would have been enough. Only two catches were made, but it was enough.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
94
Reds
10
-
450k
1
564,920
564,920
2
25
98
Reds
10
-
500k
1
601,070
601,070
3
25
103
Reds
10
-
450k
1
593,710
593,710
4
20
50
Reds
10
-
400k
2
519,640
390,450
5
20
126
Reds
10
-
400k
1
516,040
516,040
6
40
103
Reds
9
-
575k
4
587,050
454,167
7
35
98
475k
9
-
700k
4
890,960
623,215
8
25
94
All
10
-
700k
4
725,240
421,420
9
30
126
Reds
8
-
550k
3
555,510
329,123
10
20
50
All
10
5s
575k
9
671,280
424,171

No comments:

Post a Comment