Monday, December 31, 2012

Board 92: Canyon Lodge

This picture is of a peculiar lodge, aptly named as it's lodged in a gap between two rocky outcrops. It has a bucket dangling beneath it.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 93 total - Pro target 425k)

The first design features mainly individual pegs - round ones covering the rock, rectangular ones covering the lodge and a few diamond ones oner the trees.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 363,630
  • I cleared all the red pegs, but I took the final one accidentally while I was still trying to build a bigger score. Never mind, I'll come back to it later.

Level 2 (Clear 30 red pegs from 82 total - Pro target 425k)

This design is a close-up of the supports beneath the lodge. Lots of straight lines and few individual pegs. Catches shouldn't be too tricky.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 607,050 
  • Yes, catches were quite easy. A little patience was all that was required. It was just a case of picking the red and purple pegs off one at a time starting at the edges and working inwards.

Level 3 (Clear 30 red pegs from 98 total - Pro target 450k)

This design is based around the signpost to the left of the lodge. We have two signposts in the design, surrounded by a number of individual round pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 514,860 
  • Plenty of opportunities for catches off the side wall. Made the pro target with three balls to spare.

Level 4 (Clear 30 red pegs from 124 total - Pro target 450k)

This design is based on the roof tiles of the lodge. A large network of interlocking rectangular pegs should give quite a few catching opportunities.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 412,790
  • Still quite a few pegs left at the end. I made 7 catches but I could probably have made more. Score-wise, in was in the right ballpark. It's worth another try.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 366,850
  • Seven red pegs left at the end. Nine catches made this time but it's still not enough. Let's try a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 855,760 
  • As is so often the case, what was tricky without power ups becomes a doddle when a laser ball is added. Having said that, I got a good first ball which drilled all the way through the design, activating the laser ball on the way. Then the laser ball picked up a split ball on the way, and took an extra bounce off the bucket rim for a bunch of extra pegs. I ended up finishing with several balls to spare and nearly doubled the pro target.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 111 total - Pro target 500k)

This design is a mixture of vertical wavy lines, horizontal arches and individual round pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 417,520
  • Three red pegs left, but I should have done better. I was doing OK but then missed a bunch of relatively easy catches at the end.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 484,440
  • Two red pegs left this time. An improvement on the previous go, but still not quite there.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 491,080
  • Took the last red thinking I could get a deflection into the 100k bucket, but only got 50k and just missed out on the pro target.

Level 6 (Clear 40 red pegs from 82 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 550k)

The same design as level 2, but a lot more red pegs to clear.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 654,250
  • No problem with the pro target, but I ran out of balls before I could remove all the red pegs.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 937,030
  • Six red pegs left at the end and not many blues. I stretched my 9 balls out to 39 shots but it still wasn't enough.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 650,110 
  • I used some early balls to clear the bulk of the awkward diagonals which had been giving me trouble in previous attempts, and that seemed to make the difference.

Level 7 (Clear 35 red pegs from 111 total - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 5, but 10 more red pegs and another 150k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 660,820 
  • Ironically, despite still not having achieved the pro target on level 5 after 3 attempts, I got this one at the first go. I guess I just had a bit more luck. I thought I'd finished too early but I had just enough balls in hand to make it.

Level 8 (Clear 40 red pegs from 124 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 725k)

The same design as level 4, but more red pegs and a higher pro target. I'll use a laser ball straight away, I think.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 650,270
  • I got a great laser ball with a perfect extra rim bounce, and then picked up a whole raft of lucky catches but was still short on points. I was going for the total clearance, but missed the very last catch but a whisker.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 528,960
  • Quite a few red pegs left at the end. Even with the laser ball there are a lot of pegs to clear. I think I'll add a grenade.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 615,630
  • With my last shot I was aiming for a single peg, but misjudged it and took out about 7, including the last red, and my score just wasn't enough.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 68 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 600k)

The same design as level 1, but a total clearance is now needed. I'll start with a laser ball.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 510,470
  • Four pegs left. There were a few lucky catches in there too. I think a Big Bounce would work well here.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 474,310
  • Both trigger pegs were low down to the left and tricky to get to. Then neither of them worked particularly well. Only a 92% clearance which equates to about 6 or 7 pegs left.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 669,970 
  • The trigger peg for the laser ball was low down again, but to the right this time, but fortunately I managed to get it with the first ball. After that things worked pretty well on the whole. I managed to accumu,ate enough points so that it didn't matter which buckets the final balls dropped into.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 68 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 625k)

The same design as level 3 which I got first time, although a total clearance in required here.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 454,570
  • Only an 88% clearance. But the catches I attempted didn't work very well as other pegs kept getting in my way. I only made 5 in total.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 654,030 
  • The trigger peg was awkwardly positioned, low and to the right, but I managed to get it on the first ball, and I picked a pretty good route for the laser. There was a period in the middle when I wasn't getting any catches and it looked as though I was going to run out of balls, but I picked up a couple of extra ones with extended ricochets and that made the difference.

Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 93 total - Pro target 425k)

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 291,910
  • Again, points were tricky to come by. Let's be done with it and use a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 528,760 
  • Not as straightforward as it could have been. The trigger peg was awkward to get to and it took me several attempts to take it out. By the time I did, most of the left hand side was gone so I had to concentrate the laser on the other side. It all worked out in the end though.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 111 total - Pro target 500k)

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 275,590
  • Three reds left. It's quite tricky without power ups. I'll have one more try then resort to the laser ball.

Attempt #5 - No power ups. Score: 614,930 
  • A good steady victory. The odd useful bonus here and there, but mainly some good shot choices and effective catching. I managed to get over the line before I took out the final red peg.

Level 8 (Clear 40 red pegs from 124 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 725k)

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 637,750
  • Nearly. I only had three pegs left at the end, all red, and I went for a catch off one of them. Unfortunately, the ball went right into the corner and I only caught the rim of the bucket.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 555,460
  • The laser ball was awkwardly placed, so I ended up getting the grenade ball first which wasn't ideal. I was so low on points towards the end that I had to go for the total clearance, but ran out of balls at 97%.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 674,070
  • I started terribly. The trigger for the laser ball was right down the bottom and fairly central and it took half my balls to get through to it. But actually, despite the relative lack of pegs left to aim at, the laser ball worked really well and put me right back in the game. I took a chance at the end as my last red peg was on the centre line, so I shot straight down, knowing that the ball was bound to fall on the 100k bucket. Unfortunately, the lid wasn't open when it got there so it deflected over to the 10k instead.

Attempt #7 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 572,150
  • Similar to previous attempts, I ran out of balls while trying to build a pro score. I could really do with getting a yellow peg on the top rather than right at the bottom.

Attempt #8 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 757,660 
  • Finally got it at the 8th attempt. Although this was probably the first time that I've been able to shoot straight for the yellow peg with the first ball. That made a big difference to both my score and the number of pegs left to shoot at. I also got a good extra rim bounce on the laser ball which took out pretty much the whole bottom row for a total score of about 300k after 2 balls.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
93
Reds
10
-
425k
3
528,760
394,766
2
30
82
Reds
10
-
425k
1
607,050
607,050
3
30
98
Reds
10
-
450k
1
514,860
514,860
4
30
124
Reds
10
-
450k
3
855,760
545,133
5
25
111
Reds
10
-
500k
5
614,930
456,712
6
40
82
Reds
9
-
550k
3
937,030
747,130
7
35
111
Reds
10
-
650k
1
660,820
660,820
8
40
124
Reds
9
-
725k
8
757,660
623,993
9
25
93
All
9
-
600k
3
669,970
551,583
10
30
98
All
9
-
625k
2
654,030
554,300

No comments:

Post a Comment