Thursday, September 5, 2013

Board 127: Sultan's Flyway

This picture shows a wide expanse of rolling sand dunes with a vast palace in the background. An array of flying carpets stream out of the palace toward the viewer. A little lizard perches on a palm frond in the foreground.


Level 1 (Clear 30 red pegs from 133 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 425k)

The first design is of a rug with tassels in the corners. The shape has a solid border all the way around it, and a symmetrical design made up of pegs of various shapes and sizes decorates the middle.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 228,340
  • Three red pegs left, and they were all awkward to get to, plus quite a long way from the pro target. Getting this without power ups seems unlikely, but I'm prepared to give it another go.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 109,130
  • A dreadful attempt. I got no luck at all. The red pegs were awkwardly placed. I still had seven left at the end I think. Nowhere near.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 346,880
  • I strung a few catches together at the very end to make it look slightly more respectable, but I was nowhere near really. It took way too long to get to the yellow peg which was way down the bottom.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 685,270 
  • I managed to get to the yellow peg with only my second ball, and then do much better with the laser ball. I got lucky with a few ricochets as well, and it was enough to see me comfortably home.

Level 2 (Clear 30 red pegs from 108 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 650k)

The second design features three long scrolling lines going across the screen, plus a few single round pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 580,580
  • Just one red peg left which I couldn't take until I had a few more points. I could have done better with the first sweep shot. There must be a way of taking out all three main curves with the first shot. If I can find that, then I ought to be home free.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 1,015,680 
  • I thought I had this one pretty much under control until the very last ball. I found a good angle for the first ball this time, which did indeed take out all three big sweeps in one go. It also picked up a double score for good measure which got me to the pro target immediately. With the last ball, I took out the last red peg and was instantly horrified when the buckets didn't appear. My first thought was that this must be an All Pegs level and I hadn't realised. Rather fortunately the ball flew right across the screen and hit another red peg on the other side which I completely hadn't seen and then the buckets appeared. Phew! The actual last red peg had been camouflaged against the red carpets of the background.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 104 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 500k)

The third design follows various lines in the picture. It uses the edges of the carpets, a tree in the foreground, the tops of the sand dunes, some of the detail of the palace, and a couple of brids.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 219,040
  • Three red pegs left, but a long way from the pro target. The red pegs seemed very awkwardly positioned, but it seems an awkward layout in general. I think I'll use a laser ball.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 802,370 
  • The laser ball made it a lot easier. I got it activated early and did reasonably well with it. I still had a bit of work to do afterwards, but I managed it. My second to last ball had a particularly good ricochet, taking out all but one blue peg and one red peg. I was sorely tempted by the total clearance, but I played it safe and took the last red instead.

Level 4 (Clear 25 red pegs from 112 total - Pro target 475k)

the fourth design is a close up of a symmetrical design such as might be found on one one of the rugs. It mainly consists of curves running in various directions.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 510,110
  • I had quite a few red pegs left, but once I went down to my last few balls I had to start picking off blue pegs one by one to get to them. I got through quite a few, but eventually misjudged one and that was that. I'll give it another go, but more in hope than expectation.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 784,520 
  • I got a bit more luck early on this time, with some good ricochets and a few lucky catches. The previous attempt gave me a good idea about the angles involved, and I could use that knowledge to get me a total clearance here.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 106 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 400k)

The fifth design is also based on one of the flying carpets, but this one is made up of a grid of single round pegs, with a fan of four diamond-shaped pegs at each corner.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 236,250
  • This one needs a bit of luck. I didn't do too badly. I only had one red peg left, but I was trying to build a pro score by waiting for the right purple peg and taking a catch off it, but there were precious few easy catches to be had anywhere, so I eventually made one mistake too many. Worth another try though.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 424,730 
  • I had a bit more luck that time, taking out quite a few red pegs early on. I went for more catches towards the start of the game where I could which probably helped as well. I had to take a chance at the end. The final red peg was at the bottom of the central column with four or five blue pegs above it. If I wanted to hit it directly I was going to have to take all of those out one at a time, and I was down to my last ball. Instead I went for a ricochet of a nearby blue peg that I could see, hoping that the ball would drop straight into the 100k bucket, as that's what I would need for a pro score. Luckily, that's just what happened.

Level 6 (Clear 35 red pegs from 112 total, with only 7 balls - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 4, but with 10 more red pegs, three less balls, and 175k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 423,290
  • It took most of my balls to get through to the yellow peg so I was always struggling after that. I kept the final ball going for quite a long time, but eventually succumbed to inevitability.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 702,800
  • I did it again! I thought I'd cleared the last red peg, and completely didn't see one right in the middle tucked under a blue peg, hiding against the red carpet background. I could so easily have taken it if I'd known it was there.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 809,160 
  • No mistakes that time. I had the yellow peg on my third shot, I think, and then used a standard path for the laser ball which works pretty well on this layout. There was still plenty of work to do, but by picking out the catches carefully, I got there.

Level 7 (Clear ALL pegs - 35 red and 73 blue, with only 7 balls - Pro target 925k)

The same design as level 2, but with 5 more red pegs, two less balls, 275k on the pro target and a total clearance now needed.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 1,023,560 
  • Quite pleased to get that one without power ups. I was debating beforehand whether it was even worth trying it, but I'm glad I did. I reviewed my video for level 2 before I started which allowed me to repeat the first shot, taking a mega-sweep across all three central curves. It also gave me a good idea where to release to get the catch, which I managed to do. I still had a helluva lot of work to do afterwards, but my catching was generally working well, and luck was on my side.

Level 8 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 103 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 600k)

The same design as level 1, but with 175k on the pro target and a complete clearance now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 395,970
  • Several red pegs left, but the yellow peg was in an awful position so I was always struggling.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 216,130
  • Just two red pegs left, but another utterly horrific yellow peg placement. No chance at all.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 482,850
  • The yellow peg was still not great, but it was better. I got 92% of the pegs that time, so still a way short. I'll add a Big Bounce.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 657,800 
  • It took a few balls to get to the yellow peg again, but I did quite well with it, and then the Big Bounce was quite successful as well, so that probably made the difference. I was struggling for points at the end though, and needed to avoid a bad result from the final buckets. It looked for a moment as if both balls were certain to fall in the two 10k buckets, but then one took a last minute flick across to the 100k bucket instead.

Level 9 (Clear 45 red pegs from 104 total, with only 6 balls - Pro target 750k)

The same design as level 3, but with 20 more red pegs, three less balls, and 250k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 600,620
  • I got the yellow peg straightaway, but my catching in the endgame wasn't up to its usual standard, and I still had about five red pegs left at the end.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,116,470 
  • The yellow peg was again available with the first ball, and I did well with the laser ball. I did much better with ricochets and catches this time, and took a complete clearance for a seven figure total.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 35 red and 71 blue, with only 8 balls - Pro target 625k)

The same design as level 5, but with 10 more red pegs, 225k on the pro target, and a total clearance now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 594,270
  • I kept the penultimate ball in circulation for an age as picked off pegs one at a time, but then I missed two catches in fairly quick succession with only 95% completion. It was a brave effort, but this will probably need a Big Bounce as well.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 294,970
  • Neither power up worked particularly well and my catching in the endgame was poor. Just 81% clearance.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 721,960 
  • A complete contrast to my previous attempt. This time both power ups worked quite well, and my catching was generally on target as well. I went straight into endgame strategy as soon as both power ups were out of the way, and started playing single peg catches. I still had ten balls left at that stage and 41 pegs. With a bit of patience and care I got down to three pegs and three balls so at that stage I could take all three pegs off the side wall without worrying about catches and that got me over the finish line for a pro score.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
30
133
Reds
9
-
425k
4
685,270
342,405
2
30
108
Reds
9
-
650k
2
1,015,680
798,130
3
25
104
Reds
9
-
500k
2
802,370
510,705
4
25
112
Reds
10
-
475k
2
784,520
647,315
5
25
106
Reds
8
-
400k
2
424,730
330,490
6
35
112
Reds
7
-
650k
3
809,160
645,083
7
35
108
All
7
-
925k
1
1,023,560
1,023,560
8
30
133
All
9
-
600k
4
657,800
438,187
9
45
104
Reds
6
-
750k
2
1,116,470
858,545
10
35
106
All
8
-
625k
3
721,960
537,066

No comments:

Post a Comment