Monday, September 23, 2013

Board 15: Highland Idols

This picture shows a couple of moai, such as the ones found on Easter Island, with some more in the distance. The heads stand on remote grassy hills.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 105 total - Pro target 425k)

The first design is a semi-circle around the main statue's chin, with lots of single round pegs in a pattern around the head that makes them look is if they're radiating out from it.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 619,950 
  • That went a lot better than it might have. After the obvious first sweep shot, you're just left with a bagatelle type board, full of single round pegs. These boards are very unpredictable and you need a certain amount of luck. Well luck must have been on my side as I took a lot of catches, and ricochets picked out the reds early on. I got to play purple pegs for quite a while before I got down to my last ball and had to take out the final red.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 101 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 375k)

The second design is more radiating pegs, but a combination of straight lines and round pegs this time, all coming from the mouth and chin of the main moai.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 332,670
  • I kept the last ball going for ages before missing the very last catch. It's a tricky layout, but I'll give it another try.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 290,210
  • I couldn't keep the catches going that time and finished with three or four red pegs left and a lower score. I'll switch to a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 335,370
  • I struggled to get to the yellow peg, and then my catching was clumsy and the reds awkwardly placed.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 720,460 
  • The yellow peg looked tricky to get to, but I found a deflection with my first ball that took it out. The laser ball did quite well, and my catching was working well. I picked my way all the way to a total clearance.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 101 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 350k)

The third design features three slightly angled parallel lines against the background only. There are breaks in the lines where they pass behind the heads and the rest of the picture is covered with a scattering of round pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 365,100
  • I missed too many early catches to give myself a fighting chance there. Before I knew it I was down to about two balls still with loads of red pegs left.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 250,270
  • Three red pegs left and a lower score. The same problems again with few early catches. I'll add a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 743,350 
  • It took a couple of balls to get to the yellow peg, but the laser ball worked pretty well. My catching was on target and I cleared all the pegs.

Level 4 (Clear 30 red pegs from 118 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 425k)

The fourth design features five circles of varying sizes with a varying number of single round pegs inside each. Two slanted straight lines at the bottom are covering a couple of barriers.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 204,250
  • At least half a dozen red pegs left at the end, so not very good.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 249,320
  • A slight improvement. Only three red pegs left, and a slightly higher score, but still not what you'd call close. I'm not sure that either of my standard two power ups would be of much help, though.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 325,190
  • Another slight improvement, but I don't fell that I'm getting significantly closer to completion not to mention a pro score. I'll have to add a power up. I'll try a laser ball, but I'm not convinced I can find a decent path for it.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 184,410
  • The laser ball didn't really seem to help at all. My score this time was considerably worse than previous attempts.

Attempt #5 - Big Bounce. Score: 369,090
  • The Big Bounce worked quite well, although only because it managed to avoid getting stuck beneath one of the bars. Something that could happen all too easily. Only one red peg left, and not too far from the pro target.

Attempt #6 - Big Bounce. Score: 71,040
  • I think I made one catch, and had very few bonuses. A dreadful effort.

Attempt #7 - Big Bounce. Score: 263,940
  • The Big Bounce didn't work particularly well. It triggered a Split Ball, but both got stuck under a barrier. I think I need to add another power up, but I'm not sure which.

Attempt #8 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 717,880 
  • I went for a traditional power up pairing and it worked pretty well. Maybe I should have tried it earlier. In fact I wasn't far off a total clearance. I got very lucky with early catches which meant I still had plenty of balls left after the power ups had been used. I dread to think what this one will be like the next time around. This has been about the hardest 'first-time-around' board I can remember for a long time.

Level 5 (Clear 35 red pegs from 107 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 475k)

The fifth design features a couple of short wavy lines down each side of the main moai, plus lots more scattered round pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 354,810
  • 5 red pegs left, all in a cluster. It's another tricky level, although not as bad as the last one. I got quite lucky in this one to get as close as I did, so I'd better add a laser ball.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 552,590
  • Two red pegs left, but a much bigger score with the laser ball. I shouldn't need to add another power ups - the laser ball ought to be enough.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 462,230
  • Four red pegs left. This is not turning out to be an easy board at all. Much harder than I remember it.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 382,210
  • Two red pegs left. Again, I got the yellow peg straight away, and did OK with the laser ball. But I just couldn't do enough with the remaining pegs to clear the rest of the red pegs. I'll add another power up.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 713,810 
  • I'm not sure if the 2nd power up made the difference, or if I just got a bit luckier. The Big Bounce didn't seem to add a great deal, but I did find it much easier to finish this time.

Level 6 (Clear 40 red pegs from 101 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 550k)

The same design as level 3, but with 15 more red pegs, and 200k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 765,010 
  • A comfortable victory with just the laser ball that time. Luck was on my side a little with a few catches and ricochets going my way.

Level 7 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 80 blue - Pro target 500k)

The same design as level 1, but with 75k on the pro score and a total clearance now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 610,310 
  • Another comfortable victory just with the laser ball. It was touch and go at times as to whether the balls I had in hand would last the distance, but they did.

Level 8 (Clear 30 red pegs from 59 total, with a 7s shot-clock - Pro target 450k)

This level, unusually, features an entirely new sixth design consisting of not many pegs, but lots of barriers. Half a dozen thin straight barriers, plus a couple of rocky outcroppings, one on each side of the screen.


Attempt #1 - Big Bounce. Score: 332,020
  • Well I cleared all the red pegs, but I was 120k short of the pro target. The Big Bounce got stuck under one of the bottom barriers though.

Attempt #2 - Big Bounce. Score: 280,450
  • Three red pegs left and a lower score. I might try adding a Gravity Ball. I've not used one of those in ages, but this level might suit it quite well.

Attempt #3 - Big Bounce & Gravity Ball. Score: 195,550
  • The green peg was in the most awkward place possible and I just couldn't find a path through to it. I wasted all my balls trying.

Attempt #4 - Big Bounce & Gravity Ball. Score: 473,720 
  • When I saw the ball disappear into the 10k bucket at the end, I thought I'd missed the pro score, but I'd gotten a Crucial Bounce when I hit it and that made the difference. The Gravity Ball did quite well, taking out quite a few extra pegs. The Big Bounce could have been better. I needed some luck with the last few balls, but I got just enough to see me through.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 71 blue - Pro target 550k)

The same design as level 2, but with 5 more red pegs, one more ball, 175k on the pro target, and a total clearance now needed.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 711,370
  • Just two red pegs left. I'd managed to keep the last couple of balls going for ages, but I think I just rushed the last shot slightly. So near, yet so far.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 593,960
  • Only a 93% clearance that time. A few misjudged catches in the endgame. I'll add a Big bounce to try and clear a few more pegs.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 952,300 
  • I just missed the yellow peg with my first ball, but got it with the second. But even after both power ups had been used, I still had 37 pegs left and seven balls. I lost a few balls quickly, but kept the last two or three going much better.

Level 10 (Score 500k with 25 red pegs and 93 blue - Pro target 625k)

The same design as level 4, but with 5 less red pegs, one more ball, 200k on the pro target, and just a score to aim for.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 192,510
  • Not a very good attempt. I didn't make many catches, and the laser ball was a disaster.

Attempt #2 - Big Bounce & Gravity Ball. Score: 664,980 
  • I had to take a big risk at the end, going for a finish, knowing that only a 100k final bucket would be enough for pro. However, it turned out to be a risk worth taking as that's exactly what I got. The Big Bounce was a waste of time as it got stuck under the barrier, but the Gravity Ball did OK. A combination of lucky catches and well-executed ones saw me through.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
105
Reds
10
-
425k
1
619,950
619,950
2
25
101
Reds
9
-
375k
4
720,460
419,677
3
25
101
Reds
9
-
350k
3
743,350
452,906
4
30
118
Reds
9
-
425k
8
717,880
298,140
5
35
107
Reds
9
-
475k
5
713,810
493,130
6
40
101
Reds
9
-
550k
1
765,010
765,010
7
25
105
All
10
-
500k
1
610,310
610,310
8
30
59
Reds
10
7s
450k
4
473,720
320,435
9
30
101
All
10
-
550k
3
952,300
752,543
10
25
118
500k
10
-
625k
2
664,980
428,745

No comments:

Post a Comment