Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Board 128: Thunder Alley

This picture shows a landscape of green windswept rolling hills under a stormy sky. A windmill stands in the distance.


Level 1 (Clear 30 red pegs from 95 total - Pro target 425k)

The first design features two rows of short curves at the bottom, like plants bending in the wind. There's also a random scattering of round pegs across the sky and some more round pegs in a couple of rows beneath the curves.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 500,700
  • Not enough early catches left we with three awkward red pegs well covered by blue ones and only one ball left. I picked off some outlying blue pegs for a while, but getting enough of them to allow me to get at the remaining red ones never looked likely.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 674,870 
  • I had a bit better luck that time, and picked up two or three early catches and a few better ricochets which all made a difference. It meant I had more balls and less pegs left ini the endgame. I probably should have had a total clearance, but misjudged the angle off the penultimate blue peg and took out the last red one shot too early.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 100 total - Pro target 450k)

The second design features three long curves, each with a couple of smaller curves branching off, looking like plants bending in the wind again. There are some single round pegs in three rough rows at the bottom, and three wavy curves at the top representing the wind or clouds or maybe detritus being blown through the air.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 591,770
  • I was scoring well, but I thought my last shot was guaranteed to rebound into the last red peg, but it didn't and I didn't manage to catch it either.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 321,290
  • A lower score and four red pegs left that time. I'll give it one more go.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 362,590
  • I got all the reds, but I was struggling for points. I'll use a laser ball to finish it off.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 943,350 
  • I surely could have got a total clearance if I'd needed one as I still had stacks of balls left at the end, but the last red peg was right in the middle of the screen and trying to pick off the blue pegs without hitting it was proving tricky. I got the yellow peg with the first ball, did well with the laser ball, and never looked back.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 108 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 450k)

The third design follows some of the lines in the picture. It uses the plants on the righr, the outline of the hills on the left, and the clouds in the sky.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 292,450
  • Not a very good effort. I still had quite a few red pegs left at the end. I'll give it another go, but if I don't see a substantial improvement, I'll be using a laser ball afterwards.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 412,380
  • I wasn't far off a pro score, and I still had some good opportunities for catches left, but there was one blue peg in the way. I had an opportunity to clear it, so I went for it but misjudged the catch and took out the last red peg off a ricochet. A 100k final bonus would still have saved me, but I only managed a 50k. I think I will use a laser ball next.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 764,150 
  • I got to the yellow peg on my second shot. The rim bounce with the laser ball wasn't great, but I managed to clear the reds for a score well over the pro target.

Level 4 (Clear 30 red pegs from 111 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 400k)

The fourth design is a representation of the windmill in the far distance, so it features lots of rectangular blocks set at 45°.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 387,490
  • I should have had that. One red peg left, but I was struggling for points. I kept the last ball going for quite a few shots, and got to within 20k of the pro target. I wanted one more purple peg though, to make absolutely sure. I waited for the right peg to turn purple then played what should have been a straightforward catch, but it went right into the corner and just caught the rim of the bucket.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 334,100
  • Two pegs left that time, and fewer points. I'll give it another go though.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 586,650 
  • I got the hang of the angles that time. I cleared all the pegs on the left-hand side first to stop them getting in the way, then I played lots of single peg catches into the bottom left-hand corner. With so many 45° angles about, they weren't hard to find.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 75 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 425k)

The fifth design consists of three jagged lines, like forks of lightning, and a sprinkling of diamond shaped pegs in between. The pegs are all quite high which could make catching a little awkward.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 586,480 
  • Points were very slow to come at the start. But I got a few good early ricochets, and once the pegs started to clear away a bit, the catches started to become easier to pick out. I managed to string the last few balls out all the way to a total clearance.

Level 6 (Clear 40 red pegs from 95 total, with only 7 balls - Pro target 675k)

The same design as level 1, but with 10 more red pegs, three less balls and 250k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 377,810
  • Seven balls just isn't enough to clear all those red pegs without any power ups to help. I'll need a laser ball.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 571,090
  • A much better effort. I got the yellow peg with the first ball, and did prettty well with the laser ball, but my catching let me down a bit in the endgame. Just one red peg left at the end and only about 100k short of the pro target.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 326,870
  • I got very little luck that time. I got the yellow peg first ball again, but the laser ball was hit by the dreaded Big Bucket, so I couldn't get any rim bounce with it. I just couldn't seem to get any catches or ricochets after that. The ball just kept finding the gaps.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 533,140
  • I was going OK then, but two attempted catches that went right into the corner in quick succession did for me.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 407,050
  • Another attempt devoid of luck. The yellow peg went second ball, but yet again, the laser was sabotaged by the Big Bucket, and then the catches and ricochets just wouldn't come. I'll give it one more go before I start thinking about using a second power up.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball. Score: 793,400 
  • That one worked a lot better. I got the yellow peg straight away and did quite well with the laser ball. It triggered the Split Ball which earned me some extra points. I made some decent catches after that and had one or two telling ricochets. I made a total clearance in the end.

Level 7 (Score 525k with 35 red pegs and 73 blue, with only 7 balls - Pro target 875k)

The same design as level 3, but with 10 more red pegs, two less balls, 425k on the pro target, and just a score to go for.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 693,730
  • I managed the basic target score, but it's quite a big step from there to the pro target. I was going for a total clearance, but failed at 93%.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,032,240 
  • A mixture of some good catching and some useful bonuses got me a total clearance and a seven figure score for pro.

Level 8 (Clear 45 red pegs from 111 total, with only 7 balls - Pro target 750k)

The same design as level 4, but with 15 more red pegs, one less ball, and 350k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 369,090
  • Not the best of attempts. I cleared one side out of pegs, but I missed too many catches working on the other side.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 260,930
  • Nowhere near again. I'd better use a laser ball. Probably a bit over-ambitious to attempt it without. Especially twice.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,044,440 
  • Another total clearance and another seven figure score. The yellow peg wasn't too hard to reach and I did pretty well with the laser ball. I needed to make a lot of catches after that, but once the bulk of the pegs are out of the way, catches are not too difficult.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 75 blue, with only 8 balls - Pro target 675k)

The same design as level 2, but with two less balls, 225k on the pro target and a complete clearance necessary.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 650,710
  • Only an 89% clearance, but the signs are promising. I was denied a rim bounce with the laser ball by another Jumbo Bucket. I do seem to be getting a lot of them at the moment.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 619,290
  • Up to 93% clearance that time, but then I got a decent rim bounce with the laser ball this time.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 574,930
  • Only 88% clearance. My catching let me down this time. The yellow peg went quickly and the laser ball worked well, but I was unable to make the catches I needed to finish it off.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,044,740 
  • My catching was better that time so I managed to get to the end without running out of balls.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 50 blue, with only 8 balls - Pro target 625k)

The same design as level 5, but with one less ball, 200k on the pro target, and a total clearance is now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 649,670 
  • The yellow peg went quickly, and I did well with the laser ball. A laser ball generally works best on low pegs, particularly the rim bounce part, but this level has very few low pegs. My laser ball triggered a Split Ball part way through, though, which forged an extra path through the high pegs which was a big help. I needed to make quite a few good catches after that, and I still needed to avoid a minimum 20k from the final buckets, but I got 60k which was enough.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
30
95
Reds
10
-
425k
2
674,870
587,785
2
25
100
Reds
10
-
450k
4
943,350
554,750
3
25
108
Reds
9
-
450k
3
764,150
489,660
4
30
111
Reds
8
-
400k
3
586,650
436,080
5
25
75
Reds
9
-
425k
1
586,480
586,480
6
40
95
Reds
7
-
675k
6
793,400
501,560
7
35
108
525k
7
-
875k
2
1,032,240
862,985
8
45
111
Reds
7
-
750k
3
1,044,440
558,153
9
25
100
All
8
-
675k
4
1,044,740
722,417
10
25
75
All
8
-
625k
1
649,670
649,670

No comments:

Post a Comment