Sunday, November 24, 2013

Board 7: Sun Shrine

This picture shows a temple in the jungle, built in an Aztec or Incan style. It depicts a shrine perched on top of a huge pyramidal structure with wide stone steps leading up the front.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 110 total - Pro target 350k)

The first design contains a number of short, roughly horizontal lines following the steps and levels of the shrine. There are a couple of short diagonal lines near the bottom, and the rest of the building is scattered with round pegs. There are a couple more clusters of round pegs against the sky in the top corners.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 508,790 
  • That seemed quite an easy starter. I should have had a simple total clearance, but I tried to take a purple peg off the side wall, missed it and hit the last red instead. I still had about 6 or 7 balls in hand, and only five or six pegs left.

Level 2 (Clear 30 red pegs from 106 total - Pro target 400k)

The second design consists of most of a circle in the centre, surrounded by a combination of curves, round pegs and diamond-shaped ones.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 623,750 
  • Another one completed with several balls in hand and well above the pro target.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 93 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 375k)

The third design is 5½ elongated S-shaped curves running parallel to each other on the left, and a larges disc obstacle to the top right. There are some other diamond-shaped and round pegs scattered about.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 191,260
  • A couple of red pegs left, but I had to clear a blue peg or two to get through to them, and I couldn't make the required catches. Not enough early catches was the main problem.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 221,150
  • About four red pegs left. Again too few early catches.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 392,310
  • Just one red peg left but it was underneath the sun disc and I couldn't get to it. I tried to find an angle of the side wall and another peg with my last ball, but I didn't quite get and and missed the catch.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 129,840
  • Nowhere near it that time. I should've stuck with the laser ball.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 410,540
  • I ran out of balls before I could clear all the red pegs. Again I had one under the sun and lost too many balls trying to find an angle to it.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball. Score: 556,930 
  • It took a couple of balls to get through to the yellow peg, but then I found a particularly good angle for the laser ball that got a good first bounce, and a good rim bounce to take out 34 pegs and score over 300k. It left me with only seven red pegs and seven balls to get them with. It was still touch and go at times, as not all the reds were easy to get to, but I made it.

Level 4 (Clear 35 red pegs from 107 total - Pro target 425k)

The fourth design has two big curves at the bottom, running in towards the centre, with a fran of round pegs above them, and an arc of diamond-shaped pegs above them. There are some more round pegs at the very bottom, underneath the curved lines.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 458,110
  • I didn't take any catches except one right at the end. No problem accumulating a pro score, but a long way from clearing the red pegs.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 533,450 
  • I got a little luckier with the catches that time, plus a few handy bonuses as well. I did it with a couple of balls to spare.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 74 total, must play Bank shots - Pro target 500k)

The fifth design features two straight lines, running up the outside of the steps in the picture, with an arrangement of round pegs in lines between them. A pair of solid obstacle walls descends slowly from the top of the screen stopping just short of hitting the diagonal lines, and them going back up again. Their timing coincides with the bucket. So the bucket makes a complete sweep from right to left and back again in the time it takes the walls to either fully descend or fully ascend. These walls are there to help make the high central pegs available off a bank shot, because on this level, all shots must hit the side wall, or an obstacle, before hitting a peg.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 551,260 
  • Quite a relief to get through this one at the first attempt, although I believe this one comes back at level 10 still with the bank shot restriction, but with a shot clock as well. I thought at first that the pro target would be too high, but by concentrating on the purple and red pegs, the bonuses soon add up. I needed a total clearance to get there mind you.

Level 6 (Score 350k with 25 red pegs and 81 blue - Pro target 450k)

The same design as level 2, but with 5 fewer red pegs, 50k on the pro score and just a score to go for.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 982,020 
  • I found this layout easy first time around, and if anything, it was even easier this time. I took a total clearance, for over double the pro target, just missing out on a seven figure total.

Level 7 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 85 blue - Pro target 450k)

The same design as level 1, but with 100k on the pro target, and a total clearance now needed.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 725,910 
  • I just missed out on the total clearance with this layout first time around, but I managed it this time. I missed a few early catches, and I still had quite a lot of pegs left in the endgame, but I managed to clear most of the pegs from the bottom half. After that I knew I had a good chance as I'm pretty good at taking catches off pegs in the top corners.

Level 8 (Score 375k with 25 red pegs and 82 blue - Pro target 475k)

The same design as level 4, but with 10 fewer red pegs, 50k on the pro score, and just a score to aim at.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 624,600 
  • I got the pro score quite comfortably in the end, but I had to remind myself not to take out the last red peg too early. I do have a habit of doing that in these score only levels, forgetting that that finishes the level prematurely.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 68 blue - Pro target 475k)

The same design as level 3, but with 2 more balls, 125k on the pro target, and a total clearance now needed.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 329,490
  • A 94% clearance. I tried to replicate the laser ball path I got on this layout first time around, but got the timing wrong. I was always struggling after that.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 689,980 
  • I managed to replicate the same laser ball that I got on level 3. It didn't score quite as well as last time, but it was still very effective. I had a few lucky catches in there, but overall it was a well orchestrated total clearance. I was having a conversation with the wife at the same time, so I kept having to stop playing while I was talking. I've edited all those pauses out of the video, but I apologise if it looks a little jumpy in places.

Level 10 (Clear 45 red pegs from 74 total, with a 5s shot-clock, must play bank shots - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 5, but with 20 more red pegs, 150k on the pro target, and a five second shot-clock. The bank shot rule is still in force.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 530,730
  • Not bad for a first attempt. Only about 120k short of the target, and I had quite a few unlucky missed catches that glanced off the rim of the bucket.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 535,510
  • Very similar to the previous attempt. I still had half a dozen red pegs left at the end. I'll give it one more go before I add a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 372,050
  • Nowhere near that time. I'll add a laser ball.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 672,940
  • I forgot to add the laser ball, but I had my best attempt yet. Just four red pegs left, and a score that would have been good enough for pro.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 647,590
  • I got to the last red peg, and went for it as I only had one ball left and catches are always a bit of a lottery at the best of times. I thought I'd probably need to avoid the 10k bucket. I didn't and finished less than 3k short of the pro target.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball. Score: 902,150 
  • I made a complete mess of the laser ball, missing the bucket altogether, so I thought I blown it early on. A number of useful bonuses and fortunate catches helped me turn it around though. I ended up taking a total clearance for well in excess of the pro target.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
110
Reds
10
-
350k
1
508,790
508,790
2
30
106
Reds
10
-
400k
1
623,750
623,750
3
25
93
Reds
8
-
375k
6
556,930
317,005
4
35
107
Reds
10
-
425k
2
533,450
495,780
5
25
74
Reds
10
Bank
500k
1
551,260
551,260
6
25
106
350k
10
-
450k
1
982,020
982,020
7
25
110
All
10
-
450k
1
725,910
725,910
8
25
107
375k
10
-
475k
1
624,600
624,600
9
25
93
All
10
-
475k
2
689,980
509,735
10
45
74
Reds
10
Bk+5s
650k
6
902,150
610,161

No comments:

Post a Comment