Sunday, November 10, 2013

Board 8: Ash Summit

This picture shows a huge volcano, standing on its own in the middle of a vast plain. The volcano is clearly active as smoke is pouring from its summit. A few bare trees stand in the forground.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 100 total - Pro target 350k)

The first design features five lines coming down the sides of the volcano, with some single round pegs at the summit. The rest of the design is covered with short, three peg lines and round pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 492,120 
  • It can be a tricky layout this one, although it gets a lot trickier later when it reappears without a ball bucket. I needed all my balls, but I made it to the end, and thanks to a few lucky bonuses, I had no problem reaching the pro target. The video for this one didn't work very well (I missed the start somehow), so I rerecorded it. On the second attempt, I got a slightly better score - 516,290 - and felt a bit more in control as I went through the red pegs.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 106 total - Pro target 450k)

The second design features three teleport portals which all connect to a single receiver at the summit of the volcano. Each portal has a five peg curve underneath and four or five diamond shaped pegs above it. Otherwise the bottom half is full of round pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 356,130
  • Just one red peg left, but I couldn't get it in the bottom right hand corner, and my score needed to be better anyway.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 470,960 
  • I got very lucky with catches in this one. And I needed it too. I don't think I'd have got anywhere near this one without that.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 116 total - Pro target 450k)

The third design has three curved stripes on the side of the volcano, each with a row of round pegs beneath. The other main feature of the design is the tree on the right. The trunk and main branches are picked out with lines, and the foliage at the top is a thick cluster of round pegs. Also a wavy line of round pegs runs along the bottom.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 406,260
  • I thought I could catch a deflection off the final red peg into the centre bucket, so I went for it a little early. I came of the edge, though, and ended up in the 10k bucket so I didn't manage a pro score.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 236,490
  • Nowhere near that time. I still had about 10 red pegs left at the end. I took hardly any catches, which was the problem. All those round pegs everywhere make catches something of a lottery.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 671,140 
  • Got it easily enough with the laser ball. Although it took me a few shots to hit the yellow peg at first. It really shouldn't have done as it wasn't hard to get to. Too many missed catches at the end meant I didn't get a total clearance, but that didn't matter.

Level 4 (Clear 25 red pegs from 104 total - Pro target 450k)

The fourth design looks like a spinning vortex. A ring of a dozen round pegs in the centre rolls around the middle of the design.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 134,160
  • The reds were dreadfully placed as there were none on top at all. I took no catches during the entire game, so it was a dreadful score with lots of red pegs left at the end.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 401,050
  • Just one red peg left, but wanted some more points in the bag before I took it. I missed a catch off the purple peg though.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 298,400
  • I didn't get much luck there. I needed more early catches really, and the bonuses weren't coming either. I'd better use a laser ball.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 465,220
  • Three red pegs left, but I wasted the last two balls looking for a deflection off a moving red peg onto a buried one. I missed everything both times, and didn't get the ball back. Annoying as I had the points for pro.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 578,190 
  • It took me three shots to get the yellow peg, as it was one of the spinning ones, but I caught the first two through sheer luck, so I had nothing to complain about really. In fact, the luck was generally with me throughout that game.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 115 total - Pro target 475k)

The fifth design has two solid lines tracing the horizon lines either side of the volcano summit. Beneath these lines is a sea of round pegs. The bottom three rows of pegs move up and down, one column at a time.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 536,280 
  • I found a good early shot which took out almost the entire left hand top line on a big sweep. After that I needed a bit of luck with the catches, which I got. Towards the end I was still a little short of points and running out of balls, but a couple of timely Crucial Bounces at the end got me over the line.

Level 6 (Score 400k with 25 red pegs and 81 blue - Pro target 500k)

The same design as level 2, but with 50k on the pro target, and just a score to go for.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 373,860
  • I only left five pegs in total, but I just wasn't picking up the bonuses.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 485,990
  • I went for an early finish as I'd done well to get as far as I had. I just needed to avoid the 10k bucket at the end, but my luck ran out and I couldn’t manage it.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 497,180
  • I miscalculated there. I thought I had a pro score guaranteed with a total clearance, but then two 10k final buckets left me nearly 3k short.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 599,410 
  • I didn't manage to clear the red pegs, because I was going for a total clearance and missed the very last catch. This was purely a point scoring level though, so that didn't matter. I'd reached the pro target several shots before, so the clearance was academic anyway.

Level 7 (Clear 45 red pegs from 115 total, with only 8 balls and a 3s shot-clock - Pro target 525k)

The same design as level 5, but with 20 more red pegs, two fewer balls, 50k on the pro target, and a three second shot-clock.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 636,830 
  • I started with the shot I discovered on level 5 which took out most of the top line, and I found a good line for the laser ball. I managed to keep thinking quickly as a three second shot-clock forces you to keep moving. I managed a few good catches, and took a relatively comfortable pro score in the end.

Level 8 (Clear 55 red pegs from 116 total - Pro target 550k)

The same design as level 3, but with 30 more red pegs, and 100k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 692,190 
  • I managed to find the yellow peg with the first shot, and then my standard laser ball path worked quite well. After that it was just a matter of picking off the red pegs without missing too many catches.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 79 blue - Pro target 550k)

The same design as level 4, but with 100k on the pro target, and all pegs are now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 537,740
  • An 86% clearance, so still some way to go. This layout seems well suited for a Big Bounce, so I think I'll add one of those.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 813,030 
  • Got it that time, with the extra power up, and quite comfortably too. I easily beat the pro score, and could afford to miss quite a few catches towards the end.

Level 10 (Clear 35 red pegs from 100 total, with no ball bucket - Pro target 425k)

The same design as level 1, but with 10 more red pegs, 75k on the pro target, and no ball bucket.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 298,290
  • Four red pegs left. I'm attempting a method that has worked for me in the past. Try to get the white peg first, hope for a bonus that introduces a bucket, then activate the laser ball and bounce it off the bucket. I got the white peg first that time, but didn't get a bucket from it, just a Double Score.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 484,810
  • A better effort, just two red pegs left and a score worthy of pro. I only managed a Double Score off the white peg again though.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 218,780
  • I got Free Energy this time. After that, the ricochets just wouldn't come, and I was left still with 8 red pegs at the end.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 817,910 
  • It worked like a dream that time. That is undoubtedly the best strategy for these layouts without a ball bucket. So, to recap, the strategy is to take the white peg first, activating a bucket of some sort (3 in 9 chance) but don't land in it. Then activate the laser ball, but again, don't land in the bucket. Then use the bucket to bounce to laser ball off, giving you a huge point bonus and taking out a lot of the remaining red pegs. There are several things that can go wrong, of course, but when it works, it should get you a pro score.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
100
Reds
10
-
350k
1
492,120
492,120
2
25
106
Reds
10
-
450k
2
470,960
413,545
3
25
116
Reds
10
-
450k
3
671,140
437,963
4
25
104
Reds
10
-
450k
5
578,190
375,404
5
25
115
Reds
10
-
475k
1
536,280
536,280
6
25
106
400k
10
-
500k
4
599,410
489,110
7
45
115
Reds
8
3s
525k
1
636,830
636,830
8
55
116
Reds
10
-
550k
1
692,190
692,190
9
25
104
All
10
-
550k
2
813,030
675,385
10
35
100
Reds
10
NBB
425k
4
817,910
454,947

No comments:

Post a Comment