Thursday, May 2, 2013

Board 109: Whaling Windship

This is a peculiar picture. It depicts a figure holding a painting of boats on the ocean, but water is cascading out of the picture, and the boats apparently with it. Probably the most interesting background yet, at least in my view.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 94 total - Pro target 375k)

This design features a border around the picture frame, plus three more sets of parallel lines below and to the left. There are also some loose round pegs on the far left in sets of three.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 392,540
  • Not bad for a first attempt, but I probably should have had it. I missed several catches that I should have got.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 258,580
  • Not as good that time. The reds seemed a little more awkwardly placed, and I didn't learn as much from the first attempt as I should have since I repeated quite a few of the same mistakes. One more go.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 295,710
  • That seemed a slight improvement on the previous go. This definitely seems like it should be possible without power ups, so I think I'll have another crack at it before I add a laser ball.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 337,380
  • The scoring was a little better, but one made one catch which was pretty awful. None of the deflections seemed to go my way. I suppose I'd better use the laser ball to get it out of the way, although I do so hate resorting to power ups on the very first level.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,018,760 
  • Yes, that made a bit of a difference. The yellow peg was an easy side wall deflection away with the first ball, then the laser ball went reasonably well. After that I'd got a slightly better grasp of the angles for making catches, and I strung it out enough to make the total clearance. I considered trying to make a catch off the last purple peg with the very last ball, but I decided it wasn't worth the risk just to make an unnecessary total clearance. Besides, there was an angle to take it off the red peg which was a much safer way to go. Both balls then landed in the 100k bucket for a cool million points.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 104 total - Pro target 425k)

This design is all single round pegs, all over the water areas of the picture.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 436,410 
  • I didn't make many catches, but towards the end I got some good ricochets which earned me extra balls and boosted my points total. The end came a little unexpectedly, but I had enough balls in hand to edge over the line.

Level 3 (Clear 30 red pegs from 90 total - Pro target 400k)

This design follows some of the lines in the picture, mainly the picture frame, the hull of the boat in the distance, short curves over the ripples in the foreground and a few loose pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 265,380
  • Something of an abject failure there. Not enough catches, bonuses, ricochets, or anything really. I'll have another go and look for a big improvement.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 272,580
  • There was definitely an improvement there, but not enough to make me think I'm going to beat it anytime soon without power ups. I'll add a laser.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 461,340
  • I missed quite a few catches towards the end which is probably what did for me. I got the yellow peg straight away, and did OK with the laser ball, so it wasn't that.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 635,810 
  • I didn't need as many catches that time, as I took out more red pegs in the first few shots which some good ricochets. I picked a better line for the laser ball this time, which helped. I thought the line covering the top of the picture might cause a problem towards the end as it was blocking quite a few red pegs, but I managed to get them all off the side wall.

Level 4 (Clear 30 red pegs from 115 total - Pro target 400k)

This design represents the picture. There are straight sides representing the sides of the frame, with a stylised boat on a wavy line between them. Then loose round pegs repesenting the cascading water.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 336,420
  • I stretched it out to 18 shots, but it wasn't enough to either clear the red pegs or reach the pro target. I'm not in the mood to keep trying without power ups, so I'll go straight for a laser ball.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 814,790 
  • Much easier with the laser ball. I took a total clearance with balls to spare and well over the pro target.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 107 total - Pro target 500k)

This design represents the three masts of the ship in the picture. The centre one has three sails, while the others are shorter with two.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 409,380
  • I felt I did pretty well there all things considered. I stretched it out to 19 balls on a level where the catches looked pretty tricky. But I was still quite a way from clearing the red pegs, so I think delaying the laser ball further would be pointless.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 598,990 
  • Again, the laser ball did most of the hard work for me. It took me two balls to get to the yellow peg, but I got a reasonable rim bounce with the laser ball, despite not timing it very well. I was left to mop up the remaining reds afterwards which was quite straightforward. I kept knocking off the purple pegs until I got down to one ball and then I finished it.

Level 6 (Clear 40 red pegs from 104 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 625k)

The same design as level 2, but with 15 more red pegs, one less ball, and 200k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 777,870 
  • Getting the score certainly wasn't a problem, but I had to be a little careful towards the end that I didn't run out of balls before clearing all the red pegs.

Level 7 (Clear 45 red pegs from 90 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 725k)

The same design as level 3, but with 15 more red pegs, one less ball, and 325k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 556,240
  • I didn't do very well there. I missed too many catches and didn't get much luck. There were a couple of really clumsy shots in there as well.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 588,320
  • A better effort, but I hadn't scored enough points to finish. The finish wasn't an easy one mind you, but I still needed about 200k so I didn't feel I could even attempt it.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 553,120
  • I tried a different path for the laser ball which probably worked a little better, but there are a few really awkwardly placed pegs in this layout, particularly the ones down the left hand edge of the picture frame. I think I'll add a Big Bounce.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 798,200 
  • I did OK with the laser ball, but the Big Bounce is probably where I won it as that seemed to take out a lot of pegs. I had some nervous moments towards the end when I thought I might run out of balls before I could clear the red pegs, but once a couple of awkward blue pegs were out of the way, I recovered with a good run of catches and finished with a total clearance.

Level 8 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 69 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 600k)

The same design as level 1, but with one less ball, and a total clearance now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 767,400 
  • It took three balls to get through to the yellow peg, but I caught all of them so it didn't really matter. The laser ball triggered the Double Points bonus which doubled its score of 108k to 216k, so that was pretty helpful in the hunt for the Pro Target. I don't think I made it look particularly easy, but I got there.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 90 blue, with only 8 balls - Pro target 625k)

The same design as level 4, but with five less red pegs, two less balls, 225k on the pro target, and a complete clearance now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 529,950
  • Three pegs left, so not a bad effort. I got the yellow peg with the first shot, but could have got a better rim bounce with the laser ball. I made quite a few catches, but not quite enough.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 475,880
  • Only an 87% clearance this time. It took several balls to get through to the yellow peg, and the laser ball didn't score as well as last time. I just had to many pegs to clear, too many points to score and not enough balls to do it with.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 569,020
  • A better score, and 90% was a slight improvement on the clearance of the previous attempt. Still a way away though, so I'll add a Big Bounce and see if that does the trick.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 833,170 
  • I got the yellow peg with the first ball, a much better rim bounce with the laser ball, and a decent result with the Big Bounce as well. All in all, luck was with me and that probably made the difference.

Level 10 (Clear 35 red pegs from 107 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 600k)

The same design as level 5, but with 10 more red pegs, two less page, and 100k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 690,800 
  • That didn't look like it was going to come out until right at the end. I had to take a chance with the last couple of red pegs. They were low and central, and I still had a couple of high diamond pegs blocking my way. I played off the side wall as high as I could and hit one of them and fluked a catch. I could then just play the same shot again fairly confidently that the same path would take out the last red peg, and it did.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
94
Reds
10
-
375k
5
1,018,760
460,594
2
25
104
Reds
10
-
425k
1
436,410
436,410
3
30
90
Reds
10
-
400k
4
635,810
408,777
4
30
115
Reds
10
-
400k
2
814,790
575,605
5
25
107
Reds
10
-
500k
2
598,990
504,185
6
40
104
Reds
9
-
625k
1
777,870
777,870
7
45
90
Reds
9
-
725k
4
798,200
623,970
8
25
94
All
9
-
600k
1
767,400
767,400
9
25
115
All
8
-
625k
4
833,170
602,005
10
35
107
Reds
8
-
600k
1
690,800
690,800

No comments:

Post a Comment