Saturday, May 18, 2013

Board 44: Gates of Atlantis

This picture shows a majestic archway to an underwater city. The archway is adorned with fish statues. Large buildings can be seen in the background.


Level 1 (Clear 30 red pegs from 94 total - Pro target 450k)

The first design consists of a series of concentric circles around the fish in the bubble in the bottom left, and then single round pegs following the bubble trails to the top of the screen.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 536,640 
  • I started slowly but improved as the game went on. I got some good sweeps around the circles by judging the angles well. I'm quite pleased to have got that one first time, as it didn't look very promising at one stage.

Level 2 (Clear 30 red pegs from 98 total - Pro target 400k)

This design is of four triangles (or parts thereof) with a triangular arrangement of round pegs in each.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 611,950 
  • That seemed easy enough. There were plenty of opportunities for hitting pegs off the side wall, and for distance bonuses, with the clusters being so neatly separated. I had the pro target reached with several balls in hand so I kept going for the purple pegs until I was down to my last ball before I finished it off.

Level 3 (Clear 30 red pegs from 107 total - Pro target 425k)

This design follows the lines of the picture. Mainly of the archway, but with quite a few single round pegs marking other lines and bubbles.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 499,030 
  • Another pretty straightforward one. I didn't have to try too hard to get the pro score.

Level 4 (Clear 35 red pegs from 116 total - Pro target 550k)

This design is a symmetrical pattern of six diamond shaped pegs each with two long ribbon-like tails.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 664,380
  • I really should have had that one. I had two red pegs left and only one ball. Only one of the pegs was in the open, but there was no easy catch off it. Instead I picked away at the blue pegs down the right-hand wall until I had enough space to take the hidden red peg off the side wall. I should have inched towards it gradually to get the best chance of taking the catch, but I went for it too quickly, caught it too thick and missed the catch. Very annoying after all that work putting myself in that position.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 606,320
  • Too many missed catches there. No problem with the pro target though, despite that.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 592,500
  • This is getting ridiculous! This should be easy. That time I had four red pegs left with three ball, so I only had to make one catch out of the first three shots, but I missed all of them. And they weren't even that hard. I should have had this first time!

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 476,550
  • Two red pegs left that time. I was a little short of points, but I reckon I was only two catches away from the end.

Attempt #5 - No power ups. Score: 838,720 
  • Finally got it at the fifth attempt, but all the previous attempts were close. It really wasn't a difficult level, so I don't know why it took me so many goes.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 121 total - Pro target 500k)

This design is essentially a big archway made up of a variety of different pegs. Lots of awkward angles by the look of it.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 450,300
  • Not far off for a first attempt, although I feel I was a bit lucky to get as close as I did. The angles are generally not very easy to judge and I had a few lucky catches. I'll probably use a laser ball to get through this one.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 624,770 
  • Not too bad with a laser ball. It did take quite a few balls to get to the yellow peg, but even after that, I still reached the pro target and the last red peg with a few balls in hand so I could practice some angles with the purple pegs.

Level 6 (Clear 45 red pegs from 107 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 575k)

The same design as level 3, but with 15 more red pegs, one less ball, and 150k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 287,810
  • Nowhere near. Not enough catches made early on. Level 3 seemed quite easy before, so I'll give it one more go before turning to the laser ball.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 307,970
  • No. I think there are just too many red pegs to clear comfortably without any power ups. No doubt it's possible, but would need a lot of luck and that could take too long. I'll use a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 733,620 
  • I was helped by the yellow peg being right on top. After triggering the laser ball straight away, it was all quite simple. I had enough balls in hand to have plenty of free shots at the purple peg. I came close to a total clearance, but caught the last red off an unexpected deflection still with about 3 or 4 blue pegs left. I wouldn't have caught it, though, so it would have left me with just one ball, thereby forcing me to go for a finish on the next ball anyway.

Level 7 (Score 500k with 35 red pegs and 81 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 850k)

The same design as level 4, but with one less ball, 300k on the pro score, but only a score for a target. I needed a laser ball to beat level 4, so I'd better start with one here.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,217,110 
  • A bit of a whopper of a score this time. It was one of those goes when catches seem effortless. You put the bucket where you think the ball will end up and it does. Nearly every time. I got the yellow peg with the first ball, although it also triggered the annoying Big Bucket which meant I couldn't get a rim bounce with the laser ball. I didn't need one though as the balls kept landing in the bucket. I took a total clearance with balls to spare.

Level 8 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 68 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 625k)

The same design as level 2, but with one less ball, 225k on the pro score, and a total clearance now required.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 445,670
  • I still had three red pegs left at the end, and was a long way short of the pro score. I like to try these higher levels without power ups sometimes, but they often don't work. I'll use a laser ball.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 828,550 
  • I could play the yellow peg immediately, so I got the laser ball nice and early. It cleared just enough space to be able to capitalise on the predictable angles of the rectangular pegs and make plenty of catches. It looked a little dubious at one stage when I still had 15 pegs left and only three balls, but luck was with me and my catches were generally well judged.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 64 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 675k)

The same design as level 1, but with one less ball, 225k on the pro target, and a total clearance now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 954,440 
  • A straightforward clearance with the laser ball. I got the yellow ball with the first shot which is always a promising sign. The laser ball got a reasonable rim bounce, and then I just picked off what was left. The catches weren't too tricky.

Level 10 (Clear 40 red pegs from 121 total, with only 8 balls and a 3s shot-clock - Pro target 825k)

The same design as level 5, but with 15 more red pegs, two less balls, a whopping 325k on the pro target, and a three second shot-clock to boot. I think I might add a Big Bounce to the Laser Ball for this. If I remember rightly it can be a little tricky.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 612,490
  • It took a few too many shots to get to the yellow peg, and I suspect that's what did for me in the long run. I struggled on for quite a long time, but I was always short of balls and points.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 240,280
  • It took three shots to get to the yellow peg, then I had to try and find a new path for the laser ball and it really didn't work at all. I never got to the green peg before I ran out of balls, having made just a single catch.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 570,880
  • Only one red peg left, but I had a lot of points still to earn, so I was working with the purple pegs when I missed a catch. This pro target is certainly a big one.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 207,170
  • That was a shocking waste. I got the yellow peg with the first ball, and triggered the Triple score Bucket at the same time. In my panic to try and adjust my angle with the laser ball so that I could catch it instead of getting a rim bounce, I cocked it up entirely, scoring less than 100k for it.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 634,680
  • Not bad. I got the yellow peg with the first ball and did OK with the laser ball, but the Big Bounce came a little too early, got trapped in a corner and was ineffective. I tried to carry on, but there were too many red pegs left and I missed too many catches.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 853,210 
  • I had visions of that potentially taking 15 or 20 attempts, so quite pleased to get it in just 6. I got the yellow peg immediately, then did quite well with the laser ball. I then concentrated on the remaining red pegs, while trying to avoid the green one, in the hope that the points would just come on their own. I made just enough catches and ricochets to keep in with a chance, then took out the green peg when I was down to the last red in the hope that the Big Bounce would make up the deficit, and that's just what it did.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
30
94
Reds
10
-
450k
1
536,640
536,640
2
30
98
Reds
10
-
400k
1
611,950
611,950
3
30
107
Reds
10
-
425k
1
499,030
499,030
4
35
116
Reds
10
-
550k
5
838,720
635,694
5
25
121
Reds
10
-
500k
2
624,770
537,535
6
45
107
Reds
9
-
575k
3
733,620
443,133
7
35
116
500k
9
-
850k
1
1,217,110
1,217,110
8
30
98
All
9
-
625k
2
828,550
637,110
9
30
94
All
9
-
675k
1
954,440
954,440
10
40
121
Reds
8
3s
825k
6
853,210
519,785

No comments:

Post a Comment