Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Board 110: Shoe Inn

Another fairy tale picture. Well, a children's rhyme anyway - There was an old woman who lived in a shoe. The picture shows a boot in the woods that has been converted into a home for some presumably tiny people. I like the way the door appears to have been stitched on, although it makes you wonder who did the stitching.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 88 total - Pro target 475k)

This design has mainly individual pegs arranged into criss-crossing lines, like the bootlaces in the picture.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 499,880 
  • Well, that one didn't look in the least bit promising most of that way through. I wasn't getting any catches, the red pegs seemed badly positioned for making bonus points. But when I got down to the last ball I managed to show some patience and wait for the right purple peg to come along to maximise the points I could earn. Somehow I held on long enough to accrue the points I needed for a pro score.

Level 2 (Clear 30 red pegs from 98 total - Pro target 500k)

This design has wavy lines following the sole of the boot and running parallel to it. These are surrounded by single round pegs, and a line of diamong-shaped ones at the top.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 487,100
  • I thought I had that one in my sights, but I took both the last two red pegs in the same ball by mistake. So, despite having a couple of balls in hand, I finished prematurely and didn't quite earn enough points for the pro score.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 440,270
  • One red peg left. I was running short of balls due to a lack of catches, and when I got down to the last one I tried to make it last long enough to pick off what was left. I nearly made it, but not quite.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 284,600
  • Not close that time. I still had three red pegs or so left, but I was nowhere near the pro target as the bonuses just weren't coming. I guess I'd better add a laser ball.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 810,180 
  • It took a couple of balls before I broke through to the yellow peg, which meant I had to shoot the laser ball right instead of my usual left to avoid shooting into blank space. It worked reasonably well though and it was pretty straightforward from there.

Level 3 (Clear 30 red pegs from 111 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 525k)

This design follows the lines in the picture. The outline of the boot, blades of grass, etc.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 260,270
  • Not even remotely close, to either the pro target or removing the red pegs. The angles are awkward and there are a lot of pegs. I'll use the laser ball.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,094,230 
  • Much easier with the laser ball of course. I got the yellow peg with the first ball, and got a pretty hefty score with that first ball as well. Then the laser ball did a lot of damage and got me over the pro target straight away. After that I just picked off the pegs, taking a total clearance for a seven figure score.

Level 4 (Clear 30 red pegs from 108 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 400k)

This design mimics the appearance of the upper part of the house that protrudes from the top of the boot.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 375,250
  • Only a couple of red pegs left. It's a tricky layout, but I think I'll have one more go before I turn to the laser ball.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 497,200 
  • A better result that time, so I'm glad I gave it another try without power ups. I got some better ricochets through the centre of the design which helped boost my score a bit. I even had a ball or two left at the end to play around with.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 105 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 475k)

This design is a series of footprints going across the screen.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 377,750
  • I only had one red peg left, so pretty close. I still needed another 100k points though, so I had that to do as well.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 274,220
  • Quite a long way from the pro target this time, and still two or three red pegs left at the end. I think I'll use a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 936,490 
  • I was quickly on to the laser ball, and I got two rim bounces with it to put me over the pro target straight away. After that I could just pick of what was left at my leisure. I was going for a total clearance, but the last red peg went off a ricochet with three blue pegs still left.

Level 6 (Score 525k with 40 red pegs and 71 blue, with only 8 balls - Pro target 800k)

The same design as level 3, but with 10 more red pegs, one less ball, 675k on the pro target, but just a score to aim at this time.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 691,760
  • It took lots of balls to break through to the yellow peg, so I thought any chance of a pro score had gone by the time I got it. I managed to hang on to the last ball for quite a long time, but I had too much to do in the end.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,128,420 
  • A very similar story to level 3, actually. I got the first ball to fall through the centre of the design to get the yellow peg at the bottom, then an excellent rim bounce with the laser ball gave me a big score boost. Then I just picked off the remaining pegs one or two at a time. And, again, I got the total clearance with a seven figure score.

Level 7 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 73 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 700k)

The same design as level 2, but with 5 less red pegs, one less ball, 200k on the pro target, and a total clearance now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 315,030
  • It took way too long to get to the yellow peg, and I left myself far too much to do with too few balls afterwards.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 499,540
  • A better effort. It only took a couple of balls to get to the yellow peg, but I didn't get much of a rim bounce with the laser ball, so I was left with a lot to do afterwards again. I got down to seven pegs left, but no further. I'll have one more go before I add a Big Bounce.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 735,700 
  • It was touch and go that time, but I got there in the end. I didn't get the yellow peg straight away, but it didn't take too long. I didn't do brilliantly with the laser ball, but again it was OK. I had to make quite a few catches towards the end, but I was up to the task.

Level 8 (Clear 45 red pegs from 108 total, with only 7 balls - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 4, but with 15 more red pegs, two less balls, and 250k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 679,700 
  • It took a few balls to get to the yellow peg, and then the laser ball could have been better, but I kept going and managed to turn it around with a few decent catches.

Level 9 (Clear 40 red pegs from 105 total, with only 7 balls - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 5, but with 15 more red pegs, two less balls, and 175k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 609,830
  • Just one red peg left at the end, but I really rode my luck to get that close. The main problem was getting through to the yellow peg. With only 7 balls to work with, it's vital to get the yellow peg quickly and I didn't. A whole host of lucky catches very nearly made up for it, but not quite.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 459,820
  • I got the yellow peg first time, and did quite well with the laser ball, but couldn't get anywhere near as close as last time, because I just didn't get any luck with catches of ricochets. It's quite depressing sometimes to be reminded jut how much luck and little skill is involved in this game!

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 397,170
  • I added a Big Bounce and got worse. The yellow peg took too long to get to, and then the Big Bounce was ineffective as it got jammed in a corner.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 802,100 
  • I got the yellow peg with the first ball, then went to the right with the laser ball instead of my usual left as I thought it would score better points. It did, and then the Big Bounce did reasonably well as well. It was still touch and go towards the end but I got a bit of luck with the very last ball.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 58 blue, with only 8 balls and a 3s shot-clock - Pro target 675k)

The same design as level 1, but with 5 more red pegs, two less balls, 200k on the pro target, a three second shot clock, and all pegs nowe required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 607,270
  • I cleared the board, but fell short of the pro target. Not by much though, so I'm hoping it won't take too many attempts.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 353,390
  • Only a 90% clearance that time, so not overly close.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 381,480
  • The clearance was down to 86% this time. Not enough catches made.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 575,570
  • Got the clearance again, but fell short of the pro target by 100k or so.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 682,475 
  • These things depend on small elements of chance. I triggered the split ball late on in the trajectory of the laser ball. The ball split and both landed in the bucket for the 100k bonus. There was a smattering of other lucky bonuses, and I managed to leave the Big Bounce until quite near the end, and it took out most of the remaining pegs. By playing what I could off the side wall first, I just about managed to scrape together enough points for a pro score.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
88
Reds
10
-
475k
1
499,880
499,880
2
30
98
Reds
10
-
500k
4
810,180
505,537
3
30
111
Reds
9
-
525k
2
1,094,230
677,250
4
30
108
Reds
9
-
400k
2
497,200
436,225
5
25
105
Reds
9
-
475k
3
936,490
529,486
6
40
111
525k
8
-
800k
2
1,128,420
910,090
7
25
98
All
9
-
700k
3
735,700
516,756
8
45
108
Reds
7
-
650k
1
679,700
679,700
9
40
105
Reds
7
-
650k
4
802,100
567,230
10
30
88
All
8
3s
675k
5
682,475
520,037

No comments:

Post a Comment