Thursday, May 23, 2013

Board 112: Guardian Garden

This picture is of a huge stone robot apparently tending to the plants in a hidden garden in a scene I found quite reminiscent of Hiyao Miyazaki's Castle in the Sky.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 89 total - Pro target 425k)

This design comprises of short horizontal lines down easy side, with a diamond peg at the end of each, and another line across the bottom along with more diamond pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 618,330 
  • We've had similar layouts to this before, but this one seems a little easier than most because of the diamond pegs at the end of the lines. If you can get a ball in behind them, they tend to keep pushing the ball back, so the ball can take out lots of rows at once. I ended up taking a total clearance, although I took a slight risk with the last ball to get it. But the temptation was to much to resist.

Level 2 (Clear 30 red pegs from 119 total - Pro target 425k)

This design is based on the top of the stone guardian's head, so it's mostly interconnected straight lines at odd angles, with a few diamond pegs in the middle.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 378,920
  • These angles are really rather awkward. Trying to judge catches is nigh on impossible. I'll give it one more go, but I suspect a laser ball may be coming soon.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 464,350
  • An improvement over the last attempt, but still several awkwardly placed red pegs I couldn't get to. I'll use a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 899,040 
  • I got a perfect double rim bounce with the laser ball which made the rest of the level something of a formality. I went for the total clearance but even that wasn't much of a challenge, as I did it with three or four balls to spare.

Level 3 (Clear 30 red pegs from 103 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 450k)

This design looks like the guardian's huge stone fists.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 274,340
  • I was a long way short of the required pro score, but I only had one red peg left. I was trying to play the purple peg when I ran out of balls.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 391,360
  • Only one red peg left again. I probably could have made enough extra points on easy purple deflections, but I was impatient and took on a half-chance which I failed to catch.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 343,640
  • I had two or three red pegs left that time. I don't seem to be getting any closer. I need to go to bed now, but I may have another go without power ups in the morning.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 348,800
  • I had another go without power ups, and I probably should have had it that time, but I misfired one right at the end and blew what should have been an easy catch. I had several blue pegs left that offered easy catches, and the last two red pegs were easy to take with a single ball. This can definitely be done without power ups, but I'm fed up of it now so I'll use one anyway.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 630,250 
  • I got the yellow peg with the first ball, then got an excellent rim bounce with the laser ball that arced across the screen and landed back in the bucket. After that it was easy so I made a total clearance.

Level 4 (Clear 30 red pegs from 100 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 400k)

This design is a complex combination of straight lines and curves. I'm not sure what it's supposed to be of, but I imagine the straight lines at the top are intended to represent the guardian's gaze. Beyond that, your guess is as good as mine.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 222,860
  • This is another level with lots of odd angles. Only 13 shots in that go, so probably not enough catches. I'll give it just one more go.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 209,660
  • Not a single catch that time left me with a whole stack of red pegs unhit. I'll use a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 332,400
  • A better effort, but it took several shots to get to the yellow peg, plus I failed to get a rim bounce with the laser.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 415,270 
  • Again, I had to use several balls to get to the yellow peg, and again I had to use a non-standard line for the laser ball to avoid missing the major clusters of remaining pegs. But this time, I managed to hang on better in the endgame. The final ball was a bit of a gamble as I had to take the last red off the side wall and through a narrow gap, and then hope to avoid the 10k buckets.

Level 5 (Clear 30 red pegs from 93 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 425k)

This design follows some of the lines in the picture, with curves over the guardian's legs, wrist and shoulder, and straight lines on the walls and emanating from its eyes.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 245,600
  • The red pegs weren't particularly well placed for bonuses, so I struggled to get my score anywhere near the pro target. I think I'll go straight for a laser ball instead of messing about this time.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 467,680
  • I had one red peg left when I missed the final catch, so pretty close.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 488,190 
  • The yellow peg wasn't particularly conveniently positioned, so I used up two or three balls getting to it. I got a decent rim bounce with the laser ball, and managed to pick off what was left, plus a few purples, without missing too many more catches

Level 6 (Clear 45 red pegs from 89 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 600k)

The same design as level 1, but with 20 more red pegs, two less balls, and 175k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 384,330
  • I was probably closer than my score might indicate, as there were only one or two awkward catches left. It was one of those awkward ones that I missed, although I probably didn't need to take it on.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 756,790 
  • I already had the angle that cleared out the left hand side in a single peg, but this time I found the angle that did the same on the right hand side as well. It meant I could get rid of well over half the pegs for the loss of just two balls, leaving me plenty in hand to concentrate on earning good bonuses off the few low pegs that remained.

Level 7 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 73 blue, with only 8 balls - Pro target 575k)

The same design as level 3, but with one less ball, 125k on the pro target, and a total clearance now needed. I actually made a total clearance on level 3, thanks to a good laser ball so this hopefully shouldn't be too bad.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 964,070 
  • Quite a similar experience to level 3. I got the yellow peg with the first ball, then got a good rim bounce with the laser ball that popped up nicely to be caught back in the bucket. Pretty much plain sailing after that, and I cleared up with a ball to spare.

Level 8 (Clear 45 red pegs from 100 total, with only 7 balls - Pro target 750k)

The same design as level 4, but with 15 more red pegs, one less ball, and 350k on the pro target. That pro target looks a bit challenging now.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 843,290 
  • That was actually easier than I expected it to be. Maybe it's because the yellow peg was in plain view at the start, maybe it was the extra red pegs giving more bonus opportunities, but whatever it was, I found that I passed the pro target without really having to try that hard. I needed a decent shot off the side wall to get both the last two red pegs at once, but otherwise there were few problems.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 89 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 725k)

The same design as level 2, but with one less ball, 300k on the pro target, and a total clearance now needed.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 874,750 
  • Another one that turned out easier than expected. I triggered the yellow peg straight away, but twitched as I released the laser ball and just got a simple catch rather than a more lucrative rim bounce. Despite this, though, the catches mostly seemed to go my way, and I took another total clearance.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 63 blue, with only 7 balls - Pro target 675k)

The same design as level 5, but with one less ball, 250k on the pro target, and a total clearance now needed.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 453,120
  • It took several balls to break through to a particularly awkwardly placed yellow peg, which left me very short of balls in the endgame. I kept the last ball going for a dozen or more shots, but in the end it was just a bit too much.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 778,260
  • I really thought I had that one. I had two pegs left and I thought there was a natural angle off one onto the other, but I missed the second peg by a whisker. It was the last ball and I failed to catch it, so that was it. Maybe I shouldn't have taken the risk, but it looked a better bet than trying to judge a catch off either.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 568,740
  • Not as close that time. I had five pegs left at the end, but I'd been hanging on with one ball for ages. I'll have one more go before I add another power up as the angles are really quite forgiving on this one.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 614,690
  • Another really close one. Just two pegs left at the end after a couple of missed catches on the trot. And that was after it took an age to get through to the yellow peg.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 514,580
  • I got the yellow peg first time, did OK with the laser ball, but was quite a long way away from the clearance. I missed too many catches. Reluctantly, I'll add a Big Bounce.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 723,120 
  • I added a Big Bounce this time. I got the yellow peg straight away, and did OK with the laser ball. That triggered the Big Bounce, and that did pretty well as well, taking out 21 pegs. It still left 28 pegs to be removed with only 6 balls, but I'm getting better at judging the angles on this level now, so I made enough catches to just about see me through to the end.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
89
Reds
10
-
425k
1
618,330
618,330
2
30
119
Reds
10
-
425k
3
899,040
580,770
3
30
103
Reds
9
-
450k
5
630,250
397,678
4
30
100
Reds
8
-
400k
4
415,270
295,047
5
30
93
Reds
8
-
425k
3
488,190
400,490
6
45
89
Reds
8
-
600k
2
756,790
570,560
7
30
103
All
8
-
575k
1
964,070
964,070
8
45
100
Reds
7
-
750k
1
843,290
843,290
9
30
119
All
9
-
725k
1
874,750
874,750
10
30
93
All
7
-
675k
6
778,260
608,751

No comments:

Post a Comment