Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Board 111: Frozen River Run

This picture is of a cavern of ice. At least, the walls appears to be made of ice, icicles hang down from above, and ice crusts the wooden jetty and the rowing boat. Curiously, the river is not frozen, as there are ripples in its surface. A shaft of sunlight comes down from an unseen hole in the ceiling, and a torch blazes in a bracket on the left hand side.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 105 total - Pro target 500k)

This design is nearly all curves. They follow the cavern walls and the ripples in the water. There is a single straight lines where the shaft of sunlight comes through.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 769,210 
  • That turned out to be a pretty easy starter. I had lots of lucky catches at the start which left me with plenty of balls in hand towards the end. I could comfortably take out the purple pegs until I was well passed the pro target. Only when I started to get low on balls did I take out the last couple of red pegs.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 95 total - Pro target 450k)

This design is based on the torch in the bracket on the left of the picture.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 282,460
  • I started off well enough, but a few missed catches left me running short of balls and I couldn't recover.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 304,840
  • A better score, but further away from clearing the red pegs. This may need a laser ball, but I'll have one more go first.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 447,640
  • I had about four balls in hand and only one red peg left. I knew I needed to build my score a little before I took it. I took a purple peg off the side wall that was quite close to the red, knowing that if it all went wrong it could be curtains. Needless to say, it all went wrong, I took out the last red instead, the ball dropped into the 10k bucket and I finished less than 3k short of the target. It was a silly and unnecessary risk to take, and I ought to know better.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 458,610 
  • Well, it was touch and go towards the end. I had to make a decision right at the end as to whether to take the final red peg with my last ball, and hope for a big final bucket, or try to build my score a bit first and risk missing the catch. In the end I chose to assume a final 10k bucket and build my score more first. It turned out to be a good decision.

Level 3 (Clear 30 red pegs from 99 total - Pro target 400k)

This design is a single horizontal line across the bottom of the screen, plus lots of vertical lines standing upright from it and lots more hanging down from the top. There are a few single round pegs but not many. The lines hanging down could be icicles, but I'm not sure about the ones coming up.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 478,700 
  • I generally like levels like this with lots of horizontal and vertical rectangular pegs. It tends to make the angles very predictable. The catches can be a bit awkward to start with, but they generally become progressively easier as the game goes on.

Level 4 (Clear 30 red pegs from 109 total - Pro target 500k)

This design is based on the ice-covered posts on the edge of the jetty, and the rope that hangs between them.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 347,490
  • It took me a while to get the hang of the angles, so I lost of lot of early balls cheaply. I was starting to get it right towards the end, but it was too late by then. I ought to get better next time.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 640,820 
  • I had a much better grasp on the angles that time. The suspended diamonds are actually quite easy to take catches off as they automatically seem to deflect the ball into the corners where catches are easiest to take. Once I had enough points, I could just take out all the diamonds working my way along the line.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 76 total - Pro target 400k)

This design is all loose diamond-shaped pegs, arranged around three large solid icicles which act as obstacles to be negotiated.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 373,370
  • Pretty close. I only had one red peg left and I was on target for a pro score, if I could just have hit it with my last ball.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 240,450
  • I found a peg that time that was impossible to get. It was down the left hand side of the screen, behind the icicle. I systematically worked my way around every possible angle that took the ball down that side and none of them worked. Clearly if you get left with just that one then you might as well give up.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 240,060
  • I ran into the same problem as last time, only I did find an angle to get the peg that I'd thought was impossible. It involves putting the pointer in the extreme top left corner so the ball actually bounces off the ceiling first. Of course, I spent so long trying to get this one peg, everything else went a bit by the wayside. I'll have one more go before I use a laser ball.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 126,310
  • The worst attempt yet. I just couldn't seem to find any bonuses or catches. The red pegs were terribly positioned though. I guess I'd better add a power up, although I'm not show how much help a laser ball will be, so I might try a Big Bounce instead.

Attempt #5 - Big Bounce. Score: 479,550 
  • I didn't do brilliantly with the Big Bounce, and I may well have made the pro target without it. The pegs were better positioned, and I was luckier with the catches. I was also fortunate with the 100k bucket to finish, although 50k would have done.

Level 6 (Clear 35 red pegs from 99 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 500k)

The same design as level 3, but with 5 more red pegs, one less ball, and 100k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 316,830
  • The catches were not as easy as I might have expected as I didn't clear enough of the right pegs early enough. I'll use a laser ball.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 576,650 
  • I probably should have picked an alternative path for the laser ball as quite a few of the pegs on its path had already gone, but I got a good rim bounce with it that took out quite a few, and I probably wouldn't have got that if I'd changed my standard route. Anyway, I got there and that's what matters.

Level 7 (Clear 45 red pegs from 109 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 725k)

The same design as level 4, but with 15 more red pegs, two less balls, and 225k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 456,890
  • Not bad, but I need to clear the pegs in a slightly different order to facilitate later catches.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 636,880
  • I thought I had that one. I made quite a few catches, and took the pegs in a much more sensible order. I only had one red peg left at the end, and had a good chance of the pro target as well.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 540,910
  • Another one that felt quite close. I still had several red pegs left, but the catches were getting easier. I only had a couple ot awkward catches left and then it was plain sailing. I'm in two minds as to whether to capitulate and use a laser ball or persevere without power ups.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 839,030 
  • I gave it one more go without power ups and it was clearly the right decision as I blitzed it that time. It was just a matter of taking out the pegs in the right order. The most awkward ones are the few round pegs at the bottom, and I was lucky to take out quite a few of them early on. Then I concentrated on the vertical lines at the sides which can mostly be taken off the side wall. Then when there are pretty much just diamonds left, the catches become dead easy and you can just work your way along the line.

Level 8 (Score 600k with 40 red pegs and 65 blue - Pro target 750k)

The same design as level 1, but with 15 more red pegs, 250k on the pro score, but just a score to go for. I only needed one attempt at level 1, and I made over 750k in that, and this one has more red pegs so the scoring should be easier.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 852,770 
  • Yes, a bit of a doddle that one. No need for any power ups as all those red pegs help the bonuses come thick and fast. Lots of chances for wall rebounds, distance bonuses, sweep shots, etc.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 65 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 2, but with 5 more red pegs, one less ball, 200k on the pro score, and a total clearance now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 255,580
  • It took me way too long to get to the yellow peg, and when I did I had to choose a non-standard path for the laser ball, and made a complete mess of it. I had no chance after that.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 828,950 
  • Most of the catches I made there were played for, but there were a few outrageously lucky ones. The yellow peg to a bit of getting to, but not too much, and the rim bounce on the laser ball went the wrong way, so it wasn't ideal either. I needed a bit of luck after that and I got it, but that's all part of the game.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 51 blue - Pro target 500k)

The same design as level 5, but with 100k on the pro target, and a total clearance now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 311,400
  • Only one peg left but a fair way from the pro target. The yellow peg was awkwardly placed down the left hand side so I ended up getting the green peg first which didn't help.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 476,740
  • Two pegs left this time, but one of them, on the right hand side, appeared to be impossible. I think I tried every angle and nothing even came close to it. That's bad screen design in my opinion.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 509,500
  • Two pegs left again, and I actually got the pro target this time. Getting the power ups in the right order helped a lot.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 509,070
  • Two pegs left again. I'm getting close every time. The Big Bounce didn't help much, but I have a decent path for the laser now which takes out all the pegs on the right and ends up in the bucket.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 621,470 
  • I was getting close with every attempt, so it looked as if it was only a matter of time, and sure enough it went at the fifth attempt. I had a few lucky catches, the yellow peg was nicely on top so I could take it straight away, and off an icicle too for a rebound bonus. The Big Bounce wasn't brilliant, but it was OK, and I had quite a few good ricochets as well. I got down to six pegs left with six balls, and all were gettable either directly or off easy rebounds. I still didn't want to risk taking the very last one directly though as I wasn't sure if a final bonus of only 20k would be enough. Anyway, I took it off an icicle and it worked out fine.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
105
Reds
10
-
500k
1
769,210
769,210
2
25
95
Reds
10
-
450k
4
458,610
373,387
3
30
99
Reds
10
-
400k
1
478,700
478,700
4
30
109
Reds
10
-
500k
2
640,820
494,155
5
25
76
Reds
10
-
400k
5
479,550
291,948
6
35
99
Reds
9
-
500k
2
576,650
446,740
7
45
109
Reds
8
-
725k
4
839,030
618,427
8
40
105
600k
10
-
750k
1
852,770
852,770
9
30
95
All
9
-
650k
2
828,950
542,265
10
25
76
All
10
-
500k
5
621,470
485,636

No comments:

Post a Comment