Thursday, December 5, 2013

Board 140: Crystal Glade

This picture shows a huge crystal suspended, or indeed floating, above a forest lake. It is tethered by cables (or maybe vines) attached to rings embedded in its sides. Other similarly tethered crystals can be seen in the background.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 100 total - Pro target 450k)

The first design follows some of the lines of the picture. It uses a couple of tree branches, two or three leaves, and the outline of the central diamond. There are some diamond shaped pegs over the smaller diamonds, and a scattering of round pegs at the bottom of the level.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 573,250 
  • I was struggling for points about half way through that one, but then I managed to get my catching head on, picked up a few handy bonuses, and got to the pro target.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 121 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 400k)

The second design is like a close-up of the diamond with a central diamond, four triangles outside it like the facets of the jewel. There are then chevrons to the left and right and some loose pegs above and below these.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 391,750
  • I was hoping I could take both the last two reds in one shot, because the last one would have been hard to get to. The angle wasn't quite right though, so I took all the pegs around it, but not the red.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 309,710
  • Just one red peg left again. I was deliberately leaving it this time, though, to build some more points first.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 472,150 
  • I got to the pro target a few balls from the end this time, so the pressure was off at the finish.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 72 total - Pro target 425k)

The third design consists of a large chevron made up of round pegs on the left. Also a large triangle against the right-hand side pointing in towards the centre, with an internal line through its central avis.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 523,640 
  • An unusual layout that I found difficult to negotiate catches in. Again, it came good towards the end. As the pegs started to clear, so I managed to pick up more catches and bonuses.

Level 4 (Clear 25 red pegs from 90 total - Pro target 400k)

The fourth design is entirely made up of diamond-shaped pegs. There is a large diamond in the centre, with two smaller diamonds, one on each side. All the remaining pegs are single.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 268,980
  • All these diamond-shaped pegs are very tricky to negotiate. It gets considerably easier towards the end, but up to the point, it's very tricky.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 191,410
  • A worse attempt. I was quite tired and made several careless shots. It's time to call it a night, I think.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 610,780 
  • I'm a bit fresher this morning, and I got it first time. A couple of lucky catches helped early on. Once enough space had been cleared, I concentrated on single peg catches, which are quite easy off these diamond-shaped pegs.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 103 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 450k)

The fifth design highlights the cables that attach to the diamond in the picture via a ring. In the top half, there is a large triangle, like half a diamond, against the side wall. There is a ring at the central corner, and from there, a wavy line stretches across to the other side. Beneath this is another identical arrangement of pegs, but mirrored. Between the two lines, there is another line, this one made up of round pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 362,940
  • Three or four red pegs left, and a little way to go to the pro target, but I think this is the sort of level that takes a couple of attempts to get to know the angles.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 264,790
  • I went into the endgame far too early. I still had way too many red pegs left, and the catches were still too hard to start taking them on one at a time. I ran out balls with probably a dozen still left.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 409,340
  • A better score and a better effort. I'm starting to get the hang of the angles. I'm not quite there yet, though.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 271,060
  • I started well with several good catches in the first few balls, but it all went to pieces after that, and all my catches went awry.

Attempt #5 - No power ups. Score: 275,470
  • I'm still finding the catches in the endgame very hard to judge. I'll have to add a laser ball. I've already persevered longer than I normally would.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball. Score: 958,540 
  • I got it with the laser ball. Although it was one of those where I can't help thinking that I would have got it without the laser ball anyway. The laser ball allowed me to stretch the game out to a wholly unnecessary 63 shots over about seven and a half minutes to get a total clearance. I held out stubbornly towards the end for the right purple pegs, despite the game's apparent unwillingness to cooperate.

Level 6 (Clear 40 red pegs from 100 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 1, but with 15 more red pegs, two fewer balls and 200k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 512,690
  • I kept the last ball going for what seemed like an age. I was down to two red pegs, and was finally getting within range of the pro target, when I missed a catch by a whisker.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 531,040
  • A reasonable score, thanks to a 100k bonus off the very last ball. But I left five red pegs behind, so it was too little too late.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 916,550 
  • I got onto the yellow peg with the first ball, and followed that up with a good rim bounce with the laser ball for a change. The catches were generally going my way after that. I was hoping for a total clearance, but when I went down to my last ball, I had to take the final red, leaving three blues behind.

Level 7 (Clear 40 red pegs from 90 total - Pro target 625k)

The same design as level 4, but with 15 more red pegs and 225k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 806,210 
  • Once the laser ball was out of the way, I could concentrate on taking single peg catches. They're quite easy off these diamond-shaped pegs. It only took me 30 shots to get the total clearance, but it seemed like more.

Level 8 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 91 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 600k)

The same design as level 2, but with 5 more red pegs, 200k on the pro target and a total clearance now needed.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 572,980
  • A 93% clearance which isn't too bad for a first attempt. I can't get a decent rim bounce with the laser ball for love nor money at the moment.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 252,780
  • I got the yellow peg with the first ball, then completely forgot I had the laser ball, and played a regular shot off the side wall which of course missed the bucket entirely. I was so annoyed with myself that I kind of lost interest in the game after that.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 577,180
  • A slight improvement to 94% this time, but I was struggling to find an easy way to take a catch off the central cluster I had left.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 492,870
  • Only 79% that time. I'm annoyed with myself for rushing shots. I do have a tendency to fire quickly because the bucket happens to be in the right place, but I often regret it.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 740,430 
  • It took me several shots to get through to the yellow peg, which pushed me into using a left-side only laser ball path. It cleared a lot of pegs out of the way, and I was able to take catches off single pegs for the remaining pegs.

Level 9 (Score 600k with 25 red pegs and 78 blue, with only 7 balls - Pro target 750k)

The same design as level 5, but with two fewer balls, 300k on the pro target, and just a score to go for.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 539,220
  • Not a bad effort, I didn't have many pegs left, and the catches shouldn't have been that hard, so I really wasn't too far off.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 674,050
  • I accidentally cleared the reds that time which ended the game prematurely and left me about 75k short, despite a 100k final bonus.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 777,800 
  • I got that one, thanks in part to some outrageous bucket bouncing. There was one shot in there that I mistimed that did rather well. It was meant to be a discard straight into the bucket to get a different purple peg, but I bounced off the rim into a peg, then off the rim again, and onto another peg. Then off the rim again, and into yet another peg. When you're just after a big score, then three 25k Bucket Bounce bonuses in one shot can be very useful!

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 42 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 625k)

The same design as level 3, but with 5 more red pegs, one less ball, 200k on the pro target and a total clearance now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 529,790
  • I'm not sure that the laser ball is particularly well suited here. I might try swapping it for the Big Bounce. I only managed 86%.

Attempt #2 - Big Bounce. Score: 828,460 
  • Yes, the Big Bounce seemed much more successful. It was still very much touch and go whether I could clear all the pegs without running out of balls, but I managed it.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
100
Reds
10
-
450k
1
573,250
573,250
2
25
121
Reds
9
-
400k
3
472,150
391,203
3
25
72
Reds
10
-
425k
1
523,640
523,640
4
25
90
Reds
10
-
400k
3
610,780
357,056
5
25
103
Reds
9
-
450k
6
958,540
423,690
6
40
100
Reds
8
-
650k
3
916,550
653,426
7
40
90
Reds
10
-
625k
1
806,210
806,210
8
30
121
All
9
-
600k
5
740,430
527,248
9
25
103
600k
7
-
750k
3
777,800
663,690
10
30
72
All
9
-
625k
2
828,460
679,125

No comments:

Post a Comment