Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Board 144: Hatter Factory

This picture shows a conveyor belt in a factory producing wizard hats. The machinery is being operated by an anthropomorphic rabbit seated on an exhaust pipe of some kind.


Level 1 (Clear 30 red pegs from 113 total - Pro target 425k)

The first design uses various lines from the picture. Is uses the edges of the conveyor belt, various lines among the factory machinery, and has round peg clusters where the actual hats are, and in the area where the rabbit is .


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 290,670
  • This is quite an involved level with a lot of clusters of pegs that need breaking into. I got down to one red peg but I couldn't build a pro score.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 748,500 
  • I got a bit more luck with catches and bonuses and had the pro target reached comfortably by the time I got down to the last couple of red pegs. I had a few balls in hand so I could pick off purples for a few shots.

Level 2 (Clear 30 red pegs from 103 total - Pro target 475k)

The second design features four vertical lines, two near each side wall, forming two narrow channels on each side of the screen with a wide gap in the middle. The central part is filled with a regular arrangement of round pegs, while each of the narrow channels contains a vertical line of diamond-shaped pegs and a teleport portal at the bottom, flanked by a couple more diamond-shaped pegs. Each teleport connects to a single receiver, high and central.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 599,880 
  • The teleports at the bottom add a level of difficulty to what would otherwise be a very straightforward level. Even then, bonuses are quite easy to find and catches aren't too tricky either.

Level 3 (Clear 30 red pegs from 112 total - Pro target 450k)

The third design features seven horizontal lines, each going all the way across the screen. Each line is solid only where it crosses the conveyor belt in the picture, and comprises of single round pegs to either side.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 428,320
  • Just one red peg left and almost a pro score. I didn't get much luck with catches, particularly towards the end.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 535,320
  • Just one red peg left again, and a 96% clearance, so not many blue pegs left either. Maybe with a little more patience I could have finished it but I thought I saw a way of taking out both the last two red pegs together. Needless to say, it didn't work.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 633,500 
  • I did it with seven balls to spare that time. I was trying to leave the last two red pegs for a bit, but they were below a thick cluster of blue ones, so there was always a likelihood that they would get taken out early.

Level 4 (Clear 25 red pegs from 97 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 500k)

The fourth design is a close-up of one of the wizard hats being produced by the factory.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 520,780 
  • Points were always a problem in this one. I wasn't picking up enough bonuses. When the last red went off an unexpected deflection at the end, I thought I'd missed out, but it found its way into the 100k bucket and that was enough.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 90 total - Pro target 475k)

The fifth design features two crescent moons and two five-pointed stars like those in the designs on the hats.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 148,990
  • This is quite a tricky one. The angles seem to want to push the balls down the centre which makes catching them difficult. I missed quite a few red pegs and was nowhere near the pro target.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 229,540
  • A slight improvement, but only a slight one. I still had six red pegs left at the end and a long way to go to the pro target. I'll give it one more try.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 633,650 
  • I had a bit more luck that time, and concentrated a little more on taking catches and it all worked out. There were certainly some timely bonuses in there which I wouldn't have done it without, but I got it without needing power ups which is unexpected.

Level 6 (Clear 40 red pegs from 113 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 1, but with 10 more red pegs, one less ball and 225k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 243,460
  • I struggled at level 1, so attempting this one without power ups was probably too much, but I thought it was worth a try. I probably had 6 or 7 red pegs left at the end, and not even half the pro target. I'll add a laser ball.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 639,580
  • I missed the last catch, so missed out by a single red peg. I was close enough to a pro score to have been able to guarantee it with the last shot. So close. The yellow peg was awkwardly placed though. The next attempt ought to be easier.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 519,650
  • Three red pegs left that time. I got to the yellow peg with the first shot, but didn't get a good rim bounce with the laser ball. My catching didn't go well and the red pegs didn't seem well placed for bonuses.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 597,080
  • Two red pegs left and about 50k short of pro. That final missed catch on my 2nd attempt is starting to rankle now!

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 733,580 
  • The catches worked much better that time. I had a decent run of luck and reached the pro target and the last red peg with a couple of balls to spare.

Level 7 (Clear 40 red pegs from 103 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 725k)

The same design as level 2, but with 10 more red pegs, two fewer balls, and 250k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 484,310
  • I still had seven red pegs left at the end, but the catches were getting easier and I don't think I was actually that far away. It's worth another go.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 581,480
  • I only had one red peg that time, but I was trying to pick off the purple pegs to build to a pro score. Unfortunately, shooting balls straight into the bucket wasn't easy because of the remaining pegs and the teleports. It was due to rushing one of those that lost me my last ball. A little more patience and I might have had it.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 432,070
  • Not so good that time. I didn't get enough catches, although I had loads bounce off the rim of the bucket!

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 515,780
  • I think I'm going to have to add a power up. I don't like the idea of a laser ball though - too many low teleports to get in the way. I'll try a Big Bounce instead.

Attempt #5 - Big Bounce. Score: 816,270 
  • The Big Bounce did the trick. I caught it in a Triple Score bucket to turn 62k into 187k plus a further 150k in skill points which gave my score a big boost. It meant I didn't need a total clearance and only needed a few extra purple pegs at the end.

Level 8 (Clear ALL pegs - 35 red and 77 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 3, but with 5 more red pegs, one less ball, 200k on the pro target and a total clearance now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 654,450
  • Only a 90% clearance. I missed too many catches really, and the yellow peg could have been easier to get to.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 535,050
  • Down to 85% clearance this time, and the yellow peg was even harder - right down on the bottom line.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 891,740 
  • I had immediate access to the yellow peg that time, and I got a decent rim bounce from the laser ball. I had to make some good and some lucky catches thereafter, but I made it to the end for the total clearance required and a pro score.

Level 9 (Score 625k with 35 red pegs and 62 blue, with only 7 balls - Pro target 825k)

The same design as level 4, but with 10 more red pegs, two fewer balls, 325k on the pro target, and just a score to aim at.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 642,600
  • I got the lower target but was some way short of the one for pro.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 669,770
  • A slight improvement in score to last time but still a way to go. I'll add a Big Bounce.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 546,580
  • I just couldn't get through to the yellow peg until I had hardly any pegs or balls left. I got the green peg first which meant of course that the Big Bounce got trapped down the bottom. After that I had to try and hit every peg off the side wall if I was to have any chance of a pro score, and too many missed catches was inevitable.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 838,290 
  • That time the yellow peg was easily taken off the side wall with the first shot. I did well with the laser ball and took a number of fortuitous catches. By the time I activated the Big Bounce quite late in the game, I practically had enough for pro anyway. I already had the pro target reached by the time I got down to my last ball, so I didn't bother taking the final red peg.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 35 red and 55 blue - Pro target 775k)

The same design as level 5, but with 10 more red pegs, 300k on the pro target and all pegs now needed.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 434,990
  • Just three pegs left, but a long way from the pro target.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 812,950 
  • The yellow peg looked awkward but I managed to get to it without losing too many balls. I did OK with the laser ball, and the Big Bounce turned out quite successfully too. I ended up with several balls in hand through the endgame which helped a lot. I needed to avoid the minimum 20k bonus at the end and got 60k which was enough.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
30
113
Reds
10
-
425k
2
748,500
519,585
2
30
103
Reds
10
-
475k
1
599,880
599,880
3
30
112
Reds
10
-
450k
3
633,500
532,380
4
25
97
Reds
9
-
500k
1
520,780
520,780
5
25
90
Reds
10
-
475k
3
633,650
337,393
6
40
113
Reds
9
-
650k
5
733,580
546,670
7
40
103
Reds
8
-
725k
5
816,270
565,982
8
35
112
All
9
-
650k
3
891,740
693,746
9
35
97
625k
7
-
825k
4
838,290
674,310
10
35
90
All
10
-
775k
2
812,950
623,970

No comments:

Post a Comment