Monday, October 22, 2012

Board 67: Honeycomb Cave

This picture is of the inside of a cave, apparently made of honeycomb. There are some vine-like plants and three bees flying around. I do remember that the final level of this board gave me quite a few problems.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 100 total - Pro target 450k)

A bunch of interlocking, partial hexagons. Controlled catches might be tricky, particularly early on, although once the pegs start to thin out it may get easier.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 568,630 
  • This didn't look at all promising early on, but I came good with some big bonuses towards the end.

    Coming back to do the video, I cleared the red pegs easily enough, and had a few balls in hand to boost my score up to the pro target and a little beyond.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 90 total - Pro target 450k)

This design consists of several short straight lines and individual pegs that follow the honeycomb pattern in the picture. There may be problems here in getting to some of the lower pegs as there are a lot of barriers to break through first.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 464,420 
  • Almost identical to the previous go. It looked highly dubious after a few balls, but then one or two big unexpected bonuses were earned, and suddenly it was within sight.

    It took five more attempts to get another pro score for the video, although the second attempt missed out by less than 2k! When I did eventually get it, I did it with a ball or two to spare, so I got a score of 523,950.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 115 total - Pro target 550k)

A design consisting of some six sided shapes, although they're a bit curvy to be hexagons. They look more like spider webs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 326,450
  • Three red pegs left at the end, all in a cluster in the bottom right. Quite a long way short of the pro target, too.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 581,770 
  • Another one that was looking pretty doubtful until the last few balls. I was down to 2 balls with several red pegs left, when two balls on the trot both earned me an extra ball, and then fell into the bucket. Suddenly, now with four balls left, it all looked a lot more rosy.

    I got it again at the next attempt for the video. I was looking a little doubtful towards the end. I was running out of balls, and although the red pegs were disappearing, I wasn't sure they were going quickly enough, and I was wondering where the points were going to come from. But a couple of useful bonuses at the end, and avoiding the 10k bucket at the end got me there for a score of 557,410.

Level 4 (Clear 25 red pegs from 86 total - Pro target 400k)

This design is composed of lots of hexagons. Some are empty, with borders made of pegs, others are solid and impenetrable. With so many solid wall to bounce off, there are lots of rebound bonuses available, but it's going to be tricky to get some of lower pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 366,770
  • One red peg left which I probably could have got if I hadn't wasted four balls right at the end which hit nothing, just trying to get a rebound. Silly, because I was close enough to the target to get there if I'd still had those balls left at the end.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 415,210
  • One red peg left again, and I was struggling to find an angle to get it with.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 574,680 
  • Got it that time. I got lucky with quite a few catches. I finished in 12 shots, but I still had about half a dozen balls in hand at the end. Plus the ball dropped into the 100k bonus, hence the high score.

    On the next attempt for the video, I got even luckier with the catches. Everything was going in the bucket! I still had nine balls left when I got down to the last red peg, and that was right at the top in plain view. I could use my spare balls to pick off the remaining blue pegs and take a total clearance with balls to spare, scoring 709,340.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 116 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 575k)

This design is of a couple of drooping flowers. There are quite a few pegs here, and I suspect catches might be tricky as balls may well have a tendency to be funnelled down the middle.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 382,970
  • Finished off the left hand flower completely, but still had most of the other intact. Not very close really.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 782,680 
  • Used the laser ball this time, and had it won with several balls to go. I kept going to the last ball just for the hell of it, but, yes, the laser ball made it quite straightforward.

    Even with the laser ball, it took a couple more attempts to get it again for the video. When I did get it, it was only just. I scored 670,570, but an unexpected 100k final bonus boosted it a bit.

Level 6 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 75 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 675k)

The same design as level 1, but this time everything needs clearing.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 447,400
  • Four pegs left at the end. Not enough catches early on, I would say. Probably could have done better with the laser as well.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 542,800
  • A better score due to some big scoring early balls, but only 87% clearance, so lots of pegs left at the end.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 231,860
  • The trampoline was of no real help. 12 shots so only 3 catches, which is nowhere near enough, and only 85% clearance this time. Dreadful.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 1,067,950 
  • A much better effort. The balls I shot just seemed to ricochet around that little bit more, taking out more pegs each. There weren't that many pegs left by the time I got to the grenade ball, and afterwards I still had 9 balls left, and only about 20 pegs. Plain sailing from there.

    I got a complete clearance with the next attempt for the video, using the same power ups. I scored 843,130.

Level 7 (Score 500k with 35 red pegs and 80 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 775k)

The same design as level 3. A bigger pro target and one less ball. I'll start with the laser which ought to be enough.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 396,090
  • It took way too long to get to the laser ball, and I amde only 3 catches all the way through which just isn't enough.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 383,820
  • Again, it took most of my balls to get through to the yellow peg. I need to catch a break and get the yellow peg easily accessible.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 956,950 
  • The yellow peg wasn't in clear view, but I managed to find a route through to it on the first ball. I could then get a proper score (350k+) with the laser ball, and thereafter it was never in doubt. I was trying for the total clearance, just for the hell of it, but finished one peg short.

    It took me another six attempts to get it again for the video. I eventually scored 818,520 but I couldn't even clear the red pegs, let alone the blues as well.

Level 8 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 60 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 625k)

The same design as level 2, but all pegs now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 306,750
  • Eight pegs left. I thought I had a chance at the clearance by picking off one peg at a time, but not really at the pro target. It wasn't to be anyway. Again, it tooktoo many balls to get to the yellow peg.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 502,980
  • A very similar go to the previous one. I lost about 5 balls trying to get through to the yellow peg, therefore didn't score enough with it when I got it, due to the shortage of available pegs. Then it was just a matter of picking off the remaining pegs one at a time and hoping for a big bonus at the end. Realistically, I would have needed a maximum 200k to make the target, and I only got 60k.

Level 9 (Score 650k with 35 red pegs and 81 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 850k)

The same design as level 5, but a score target this time. I did hit this target on the second attempt last time, but I got nowhere near the pro target so I'll use the laser ball from the off.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 570,720
  • Quite a way short. It took too long to get through to the yellow peg really. I didn't earn enough from it, and clearly in this level I'll need all the points I can get.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 800,940
  • Rather stupidly took the last red peg still with half a dozen blue pegs left, forgetting that that would end the game. The ball dropped automatically into the 50k bucket and left me 50k short. Annoying.

Level 10 (Clear 25 red pegs from 86 total, with only 5 balls and with a 3s shot-clock - Pro target 575k)

The same design as level 4, but a very short shot clock and hardly any balls make this a very difficult level to beat, let alone hit the pro target. I remember this first time around and it took me a lot of attempts to beat it. Power ups aren't as helpful as they usually are, because of all the solid areas, but there's no point even attempting it without them.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 203,090
  • Two or three red pegs left at the end, but nowhere near the pro target. This one needs a big slice of luck to get through.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 183,500
  • No catches so ran out of balls before I'd hardly got started.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 78,980
  • I couldn't get through to the laser ball trigger peg, so this was a non-starter.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 308,190
  • I should have at least completed it that time - I had a clear shot at the last two red pegs, but still managed to miss one of them. Not that I was anywhere near the pro target of course. I'm yet to find a reliable path for the laser ball.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 245,230
  • Only one catch made, and I got nothing from the gravity ball at all.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 125,040
  • No catches at all, and took too long to activate the laser ball.

Attempt #7 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 431,600
  • Well I cleared the red pegs at least. My best score yet, but still nearly 150k short of the pro target. It completes the board and allows me to go back and finish off the pro scores I missed, which was just the last three levels.

Level 8 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 60 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 625k) - continued

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 429,760
  • One red peg left, but well short of the target. I think I'll add a grenade.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 488,310
  • That one was looking good, but I messed up the end.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 486,590
  • Just as before, that was looking OK, but just missed about three attempted catches on the trot and ran out of balls.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 564,730
  • Three pegs left at the end, went for a thin snick into the bucket and missed it altogether.

Attempt #7 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 216,060
  • Only 86% clearance, and a dreadful score. The yellow peg was right down the bottom and it took far too long to get to it, and that always makes for a low score.

Attempt #8 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 313,040
  • Only a 79% clearance that time. There are just too many pegs all in each others way, and none of them are aligned the same way making deflections impossible to second guess.

Attempt #9 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 438,240
  • Just two pegs left that time. But with still nearly 200k still to score, even if I'd cleared them, I would have needed a lot of luck with the final bonuses.

Attempt #10 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 429,350
  • 91% clearance which equates to about 8 pegs left.

Attempt #11 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 157,970
  • The same clearance as the previous go, but the points just didn't come this time. The laser ball seemed to take out an average number of pegs, but scored hardly anything.

Attempt #12 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 843,780 
  • Finally. I got that bit of luck that I'd been missing. The laser ball worked excellently - I got a good first bounce, then got a perfect second bounce off the bucket rim to send it back across the screen taking out a bunch of low pegs. It earned me about 350k and cleared a lot of pegs. I took out another cluster with the grenade, and then it was just a matter of mopping up with the remaing balls.

    Much to my surprise, I got it again at the next attempt for the video. It looked as if I was going to fall short, but I managed to pick up enough catches and bonuses in the endgame to edge home with 629,220.

Level 9 (Score 650k with 35 red pegs and 81 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 850k) - continued

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 587,520
  • There are a lot of blue pegs that rather get in the way here, plus I had to clear quite a lot of pegs before I could activate the laser ball which had a detrimental effect on the score I then got for it.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,112,390 
  • Much better that time. The laser ball took out more pegs, and better pegs as well. What was left afterwards was much easier to work with in terms of picking up bonuses.

    It took me another seven attempts to reach the pro target again for the video, just missing out by less than 50k several times, but when I got it - I obliterated it completely. I took a total clearance for a colossal 1,299,330.

Level 10 (Clear 25 red pegs from 86 total, with only 5 balls and with a 3s shot-clock - Pro target 575k) - continued

Attempt #8 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 471,210
  • That one actually looked quite promising for a bit. The last peg was awkwardly placed, unfortunately, and I couldn't find a route through to it. If I'd hit it, it was low and central, so I had a chance at the 100k bucket which would have been just enough. Certainly the closest yet.

Attempt #9 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 192,480
  • Not particularly close. I still had about 4 reds left down the bottom.

Attempt #10 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 524,680
  • Ooooh! That was close. I caught practically every ball. I only took 5 shots to clear the reds and still had 7 balls left at the end. I didn't actually want to take the last red peg at the end, as I could probably have earned enough bonuses with all those balls in hand to make the pro score. As it was the final ball looked like it was going to drop in the 100k bucket, but managed to find it's way all the way out to the 10k one.

Attempt #11 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 191,400
  • Three reds left at the end. It never looked likely.

Attempt #12 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 200,190
  • Six reds left that time. All the balls seemed to be avoiding the reds and htting all the blues.

Attempt #13 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 167,950
  • I need to try and find a good high-scoring path for the laser ball. There must be one somewhere. It means I might get a few goes like this one where I don't score many points due to experimentation. I never managed to trigger the gravity ball which didn't help the score none.

Attempt #14 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 166,150
  • I triggered the gravity ball that time, but only with the very last ball, so I never got the chance to fire it. Wasted the laser ball as the clock ran out while I was still thinking about where to send it.

Attempt #15 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 160,160
  • 10 red pegs left, having messed up the laser ball again, due to the shot clock.

Attempt #16 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 360,960
  • 2 red pegs left that time, and a 91% clearance. It was a decent effort, and I found a pretty good route for the laser that took out a good chunk of the right hand side.

Attempt #17 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 440,170
  • A rare success as I cleared all the red pegs, but I was well short on the score. I was still 135k short, and that was despite picking up the maximum 100k bonus at the end.

Attempt #18 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 286,510
  • 3 red pegs left.

Attempt #19 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 566,780
  • Aaaaaaagh! I really thought I had it that time. But finished just under 9k short. Gutted!

Attempt #20 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 271,840
  • But to normal again. Two red pegs left which I probably could have got with the last ball, but with the score as low as it was there didn't seem much point.

Attempt #21 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 152,810
  • Dreadful. About 6 red pegs left, and lots of blue (only 69% clearance) and a score less than a third of that required. No catches made at all.

Attempt #22 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 178,580
  • Not much better than the last attempt. Only 60% clearance that time, and a single catch made.

Attempt #23 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 340,030
  • An unexpected success, but over 200k short of the pro target, despite hitting the 100k bonus bucket at the end.

Attempt #24 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 337,240
  • I need to find a good path for the laser ball. Every path I try seems to ricochet around hitting lots of walls and not many pegs. If I can find a reliably high-scoring route for it then it would boost my score considerably.

Attempt #25 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 222,380
  • One red peg left, but this level is more about the score than the red pegs.

Attempt #26 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 236,160
  • Lots of red pegs left that time. The score was OK, but I lacked catches that time.

Attempt #27 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 220,800
  • There's got to be a good path for the laser ball, but I haven't found it yet.

Attempt #28 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 184,630
  • Terrible.

Attempt #29 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 394,490
  • Only 1 red and 1 blue peg left at the end. The red was in plain view, but I had to go for the total clearance in the hope of a 200k final bonus.

Attempt #30 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 333,660
  • Again I had to pass on the final red peg and go for a bigger score.

Attempt #31 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 421,350
  • Closer that time. But not particularly close.

Attempt #32 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 482,920
  • Cleared all the red pegs and nearly all the blue ones. Hit the 100k bonus bucket at the end and still finished over 90k short. This is by far and away the hardest of all the levels I've blogged so far, and possibly the hardest of all 860 that I've played in total.

Attempt #33 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 234,810
  • Got a better route for the laser ball that time, but the rest of it was a bit of a mess. I've tried switching to the Big Bounce in an attempt to try something different.

Attempt #34 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 139,550
  • Still six red pegs left at the end. I caught one ball, but didn't earn enough bonuses.

Attempt #35 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 302,260
  • Made a lot more catches, but it did me no good as half of them hadn't actually hit any pegs anyway. I'm getting closer to the best line for the laser ball, but I'm not quite there yet.

Attempt #36 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 332,680
  • A much better attempt. I stretched it out to 12 balls, so 7 catches in total. Plus a 95% clearance meant I only had about 3 pegs left at the end, including just one red. I messed up the laser ball though which is probably why my score was still nearly 150k short of the target. I switched back to the Gravity Ball, which I definitely think is better suited to this level.

Attempt #37 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 147,000
  • I never even got to the green peg that time. So a pretty dreadful effort in short.

Attempt #38 - Laser Ball & Gravity Ball. Score: 660,770 
  • Finally! Nailed the laser ball that time. Made 8 catches, and generally got very lucky! I thought I was in trouble when the last peg looked in an ungettable position, but I managed to find an angle from somewhere. I was one peg short of a total clearance, but I'm not bothered about that.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
100
Reds
10
-
450k
1
568,630
568,630
2
25
90
Reds
10
-
450k
1
464,420
464,420
3
25
115
Reds
10
-
550k
2
581,770
454,110
4
25
86
Reds
10
-
400k
3
574,680
452,220
5
25
116
Reds
9
-
575k
2
782,680
582,825
6
25
100
All
9
-
675k
4
1,067,950
572,502
7
35
115
500k
9
-
775k
3
956,950
578,953
8
30
90
All
9
-
625k
12
843,780
431,463
9
35
116
650k
9
-
850k
4
1,112,390
767,892
10
25
86
Reds
5
3s
575k
38
660,770
286,795

No comments:

Post a Comment