Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Board 71: Rainbow Crossing

The picture is of a wide expanse of water with a long line of stepping stone zigzagging into the distance, with a rainbow over it all.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 78 total - Pro target 475k)

A design based on the picture, or at least the stepping stone part of it anyway. There's not much depth to the design which might make it easier to negotiate.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 482,260
  • I was in control there until the end. I was still building my score towards the pro target when an unexpected deflection took out the last red peg before I was ready to, and it was only the bonus I got from the balls I had remaining that got me there.

Level 2 (Clear 35 red pegs from 101 total - Pro target 575k)

A starfish design that has lots of curves, but they not be that easy to slide down.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 624,480
  • There were one or two Super Slide bonuses in there, but by and large it was relatively under control, particularly towards the end. I reached the pro target with about 3 balls still in hand, and only about 2 red pegs left.

Level 3 (Clear 15 red pegs from 38 total - Pro target 525k)

Two columns of three stepping stones. With so few pegs to aim at, I would expect this to be pretty straightforward.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 471,920
  • Certainly no real problems getting rid of the red pegs, but accumulating enough points for the pro target was a bit trickier. One or two more catches, and I'd have got there, or indeed if the ball had landed in the 100k bucket at the end rather than the 10k one. I'll move on for now and come back to it at the end.

Level 4 (Clear 30 red pegs from 89 total - Pro target 500k)

Not sure if these are supposed to be stepping stones or rainbows, but there are three of them in a diagonal line across the screen, with three horizontal rows of single pegs as well. Doesn't look overly complex and there may be some sweeping bonuses to be had.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 595,500
  • Much the same as before, only this time there were a few more bonuses collected. I had to take a few chances with the final ball, but it all worked out for the best.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 98 total - Pro target 550k)

What looks like a ripple design with a thick central hub. That hub might be difficult to penetrate, and some of the pegs below may be tricky to get to. Frankly, the hub might require a laser ball to cut through it, but I'll try without first.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 315,430
  • Only one red peg left, but a way short of the pro target. Worth another try before I get the laser out.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 426,280
  • Only one red peg left again. A lot closer to the target that time. Close enough to warrant another go without power ups I think.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 339,170
  • Same story as before. Getting the pegs doesn't seem to be the problem, it's accumulating enough points to meet the pro target. Time for the laser ball.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 402,340
  • The laser was a waste of time, since the yellow peg was buried in the central hub. By the time I'd triggered it there was no hub left to aim at. So yet again, I was left with one red peg, trying to stretch the final ball out to reach the pro target.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 524,190
  • Slightly different that time, in that points weren't so much of a problem as getting to the final red peg which was right at the bottom of the central hub, and the only pegs left at the end were the red one and a tight cluster of blues above it. I tried to take them out individually and got some of them, but missed a catch before I could get to the red.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball. Score: 449,140
  • I had a chance at that one, despite the yellow peg being buried right at the very bottom of the central hub. I thought I had a decent shot at clearing all the pegs, and getting enough final bonus to reach the pro target. Unfortunately I was down to one red peg very early and it was caught by a deflection while I still had half a dozen balls left and maybe a dozen blue pegs. Another one to come back to later.

Level 6 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 53 blue - Pro target 750k)

The same design as level 1, but all pegs need clearing this time, so I'll jump straight in with the laser ball as it's very good at clearing a lot of pegs at once.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 311,110
  • Nothing worked as it was supposed to there. Very few catches were made, all the deflections were badly judged, and even the laser ball skewed off badly and took out very little. Only a 63% clearance at the end which says it all.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 860,020
  • A complete contrast to the previous attempt. Pretty much everything worked that time. I managed to get to within 20k of the pro target before I knocked out the last peg which guaranteed the target. I actually got 150k for the final bonus which boosted the final score a bit.

Level 7 (Clear 40 red pegs from 101 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 750k)

The starfish design of level 2 again. I'll try without any power ups first, as it wasn't too tricky a level before.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 919,480
  • Those extra red pegs helped to boost my score quite a lot. I thought I might be in trouble when I couldn't see the final red peg with the last ball, but a high ball off the side wall managed to thread its way through to it.

Level 8 (Clear 40 red pegs from 89 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 625k)

The same design as level 4. I'll try it without power ups first, but it might be tricky.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 206,870
  • Probably a dozen red pegs left at the end. But I think I only made two catches. It was one of those attempts where nothing seems to work and all the deflections go wrong. I'm sure I can do better than that, even without a power up, but I think I'll take the laser ball anyway.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 653,800
  • Much easier with the laser. The yellow peg was in the open and the laser ball took out most of the lower two clusters. Then it was just a matter of picking off what was left, with the cluster to the top right giving lots of opportunities for side wall bonuses.

Level 9 (Clear 30 red pegs from 98 total, with only 7 balls - Pro target 600k)

The same design as level 5 which has been the most awkward so far, so I shall certainly be employing the laser ball straight away, and maybe adding another power up if necessary.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 582,120
  • With one ball left I still had three red pegs in a line at the very bottom of the screen below a mass of blue pegs. I tried to take one or two of them out with a high deflection of the side wall, but I got it too well and took out all three. Even with the ball dropping straight in the 100k bonus bucket, it wasn't quite enough to reach the pro target.

Level 10 (Clear 25 red pegs from 38 total, with only 6 balls - Pro target 500k)

The same design as level 3, which was pretty straightforward, and the pro target is actually less this time. There's 10 more red pegs now, but I think I got rid of nearly all the pegs last time anyway.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 377,600
  • There are also 4 less balls than level 3 of course, and that makes a big difference. I still had four red pegs left when I ran out, but it's worth another try.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 241,560
  • Three red pegs left that time, but a worse score. I'll use a power up.

Attempt #3 - Big Bounce. Score: 295,320
  • I tried the trampoline as a cheaper alternative to the laser. It can sometimes be quite effective against sparsely populate levels like this one. It didn't work out this time, but it's worth another try.

Attempt #4 - Big Bounce. Score: 300,230
  • Only one red peg left that time, although I'm still not really threatening the pro target. Let's try a laser ball then. In fact let's try both the laser and the trampoline.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 384,740
  • Three red pegs left and no blue pegs. Failed trying to catch off what was probably the last awkward peg.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 497,900
  • I thought a total clearance would practically guarantee the pro score, but only 60k off the final bonus buckets brought me agonisingly close to the line, but not quite over it. So that's 4 levels to go back to - 3, 5, 9 & 10.

Level 3 (Clear 15 red pegs from 38 total - Pro target 525k)

Attempt #2 - Big Bounce. Score: 495,000
  • Those extra 4 balls make all the difference, although I kept the trampoline. I made another total clearance, but still fell a little bit short of the target again.

Attempt #3 - Big Bounce. Score: 539,350
  • Got it that time, and without a total clearance. I made loads of catches, so had about half a dozen balls left at the end and that helped get me over the line.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 98 total - Pro target 550k)

Attempt #7 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 361,230
  • 3 red pegs left. I added the grenade ball as a good way to clear the central hub in one go, but then stupidly triggered it before I'd cleared a path through to the hub. Then I completely missed the first bucket bounce with the laser ball. From that point on it never looked likely. I recovered a bit after that, but I was flogging a dead horse really.

Attempt #8 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 705,280
  • That worked much better. I triggered the laser ball first, and that took out a lot of the outlying pegs, then the grenade wiped out the hub. Picking off the last few red pegs after that was very easy.

Level 9 (Clear 30 red pegs from 98 total, with only 7 balls - Pro target 600k)

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 618,620
  • I kept the same power ups as level 9 has the same layout as level 5, only this time it worked quite differently. I tried to open a path to the hub with the first ball, but it got inside the hub and drilled all the way through it, triggering the laser as it went. The laser ball took out a chunk of the outer pegs, including the trigger peg for the grenade, but there wasn't much left for the grenade to go at. None of this really mattered though, as the last few balls were very much mopping up with no great finesse required.

Level 10 (Clear 25 red pegs from 38 total, with only 6 balls - Pro target 500k)

Attempt #7 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 589,160
  • Went for the total clearance again, and this time it worked. I had to keep the last ball going through quite a few pegs, but the deflections were all pretty straightforward, so there wasn't a problem.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
78
Reds
10
-
475k
1
482,260
482,260
2
35
101
Reds
10
-
575k
1
624,480
624,480
3
15
38
Reds
10
-
525k
3
539,350
502,090
4
30
89
Reds
10
-
500k
1
595,500
595,500
5
25
98
Reds
10
-
550k
8
705,280
440,382
6
25
78
All
10
-
750k
2
860,020
585,565
7
40
101
Reds
9
-
750k
1
919,480
919,480
8
40
89
Reds
8
-
625k
2
653,800
430,335
9
30
98
Reds
7
-
600k
2
618,620
600,370
10
25
38
Reds
6
-
500k
7
589,160
383,787

No comments:

Post a Comment