Monday, October 15, 2012

Board 81: Hogs Wallow

This week's picture is based on the fairy tale of the Three Little Pigs. We have a small brick cottage with a wolf coming down the path towards it. We can also see the edges of a cottage made of wood, and another made of straw.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 91 total - Pro target 500k)

This design features several curves that follow the roof lines in the picture, and a lot of individual round pegs. 500k seems like it might be a little high as a pro target.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 373,940
  • One red peg left, which I could have got, but I needed to build my score up a little more. Getting the pegs didn't seem to be a problem, just getting enough points for the pro target.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 344,510
  • Four red pegs left that time. Only 12 shots, so not enough catches made.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 180,700
  • Three red pegs left, but didn't make a single catch, hence the dreadful score. One more go before I turn to the laser.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 275,380
  • Only 14 shots which equates to four catches. This is a tricky level as it turns out as all the pegs seem to get in each other's way and judging catches is nigh on impossible. It pains me to have to resort to power ups on level 1, but sometimes it's just easier.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 512,630 
  • It was touch and go even with the laser ball, to be honest. I was still struggling to make catches at the end. I should have made a total clearance, considering I was down to 11 pegs with 6 balls left. But I just couldn't judge the catches and ended up scraping home still with two or three blue pegs left.

    Coming back to do the video, I thought I might find the catches a little easier, but I still struggled. I caught the laser ball, and one other. I did well with ricochets and bonuses though, and cleared the reds with a score of 544,460.

Level 2 (Clear 35 red pegs from 70 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 475k)

This design is an arrangement of striaght lines and curves that is clearly supposed to represent something, but I have no idea what. The angles look a lot easier to work with than the previous level, although there are more red pegs and fewer balls.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 713,750 
  • Yes, this level was much easier than the previous one. Ended up taking a pretty straightforward total clearance to easily surpass the pro target.

    I found this harder coming back to do a video. It took me two attempts, and when I got it it wasn't by much, despite another total clearance. I got 547,300.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 85 total - Pro target 475k)

This design is a cute cartoon-style picture of a pig. There are lots of good curves here, but it's not clear how easy they'll be to get at.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 579,560 
  • I managed to pick up enough curves and other bonuses to make it to the pro target before I took the last red peg with my last ball. I picked up a 100k bonus at the end which boosted my final score somewhat.

    I missed out on my next attempt for the video, but I got it on the attempt after. I didn't get it by much though, only scoring 534,570.

Level 4 (Clear 25 red pegs from 126 total - Pro target 525k)

A design featuring 3 curly pig tails, plus some loose round pegs at the bottom. There's a lot of pegs here, and a lot of odd angles. I suspect catches are going to be hard to come by.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 176,680
  • As I suspected, catches are very difficult to judge, and all those blue pegs really get in the way. I do think the laser ball will help a lot though, so I'll go with that next.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 786,810 
  • The laser ball made it quite straightforward. The yellow peg was awkwardly placed amongst the loose pegs down the bottom, and it took me a few balls to get through to it, but once I had, the laser ball wiped out a big chunk of the curls, added a big heap of points, and a couple of extra balls. Then it was just a matter of picking off the few red pegs that remained.

    On the next attempt for the video I forgot to add the laser ball, so that was a non-starter. But the next attempt with the laser ball, I found it simple enough, scoring 675,870.

Level 5 (Clear 20 red pegs from 90 total - Pro target 400k)

This is an interesting design, with all the pegs over on the right hand side. There is a vortex on the lower left which teleports balls to the top right. Not that many pegs, but they're packed quite tightly together. A low pro target would seem to indicate that points might be tricky to get hold of. A laser ball would probably work well here, but I'll try it without first.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 556,270 
  • This was actually easier than I expected. By firing a ball as high to the right as I could, I managed to get it to slide all the way down the diagonal, taking out two complete lines of pegs as it did. Rebounds of the top diagonal were quite easy to judge, and I had a simple deflection into the 100k bonus to finish.

    When I tried again for the video, I employed the same tactic with the first ball as before. I didn't quite take out the whole bottom two lines, but I certainly got most of them. After that, I found the angles, on the whole, very easy to judge and I took a total clearance with about four balls to spare and a score of 754,670.

Level 6 (Score 500k with 35 red pegs and 50 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 800k)

The same cartoon pig design as level 3, with a whopping 800k pro target. I'll use the laser ball, but I might struggle to reach the target even with that.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 493,510
  • The yellow peg was a real struggle to get to. By the time I did there weren't many pegs left to aim at. As a result, I didn't score many points with it and finished a long way short of the pro target. In fact I didn't even quite make the regular target, despite only having three pegs left at the end. Hopefully, the yellow peg will be easier to get at next time.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 461,400
  • The yellow peg was in an almost identical place to last time - on the right side of the face, just under the ear. So again it took ages to get to it. Although, the laser ball then hit a bizarre glitch which I haven't seen before. Near the start of its arc it hit the white peg and paused while it determined the outcome. Then the laser ball appeared to bounce off the next peg and drop straight off the bottom of the screen. Needless to say, I had no hope after that. I hope that isn't going to start happening regularly.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 388,890
  • The yellow peg was a little easier to get to this time, but I made a mess of it. Finding a couple of good early balls could make a difference here.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 627,060
  • I got the yellow peg straight away this time, and that certainly helped build a bigger score. I was still some way away from the pro target.

Level 7 (Clear ALL pegs - 35 red and 35 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 2. I managed to get a total clearance last time with a score above this pro target, so I'll tryh without a power up to start with.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 403,020
  • The score didn't build up quite as well as it did last time. I still had three pegs left at the end, but I was struggling to manufacture the extra points I needed.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 389,680
  • Nowhere near with the score again, I guess my only attempt at level 2 was a fluke. At least I completed the clearance this time.

Level 8 (Clear 40 red pegs from 126 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 800k)

The same design as level 4. I'll go straight for the laser ball as that worked well last time out.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 714,410
  • Still one red peg left at the end which was a bit hidden by blues. A good first effort.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 859,440 
  • I was in trouble towards the end with only one ball left, and still two red pegs both of which were hidden by blues. I put a speculative shot into the middle of all the blues and got lucky. It cleared the way to both red pegs, earned an extra ball and then dropped in the bucket. So I then had two balls left and both red pegs in plain sight giving an easy finish.

    On the next attempt for the video, it took quite a few shots to get to the yellow peg for not many points. I managed to rescue it, though, with a highly productive laser ball. I then made enough subsequent catches to get to the pro target.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 35 red and 56 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 725k)

The same design as level 1, but now needing a complete clearance. I struggled with this layout before, and I have plenty of coins, so I think I'll go straight for the laser ball, with the view to add another if that isn't enough.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 933,940 
  • The laser ball was enough on its own. I probably had some luck along the way, but I managed to take out pretty much all the rooftop lines with the laser ball for a big bonus. Then it was just a matter of picking off individual pegs and trying to catch at least half the balls so I didn't run out towards the end. As it was I had to take the last three pegs with only one ball.

    On the next attempt for the video, I managed to pro score it again. I had to take out the final seven pegs with the last ball this time, but the catches weren't too tricky.

Level 10 (Clear 30 red pegs from 90 total, with only 8 balls and with a 4s shot-clock - Pro target 500k)

The same one-sided design as level 5, but with a 4 second shot clock. Four seconds doesn't quite give the bucket time to make a complete side-to-side pass so this can make catches tricky. I didn't need a power up to do this last time, but I think it might be a bit adventurous to try it without this time.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 557,140 
  • I used the same first ball as last time to wipe out the bottom two diagonal lines completely. It got me lots of points and cleared a lot of pegs, including the yellow one. I misjudged the laser ball, only catching the edge of the bucket on the first bounce, but this actually worked in my favour. The ball flew low across the screen, straight into the teleport, then across the screen again from the top corner and into the bucket, and it took out a reasonable number of pegs on the way. After this, it was just mopping up.

    It took a couple more attempts to get it again for the video. But the catches really aren't hard here, so I probably should have got it in one. I scored 617,230.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 662,530
  • Short on score again. I needed the total clearance, but left one blue peg behind. Although I don't think, even with that, that I would have made it.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 496,040
  • That didn't work so well. It took too long to get to the laser ball, and I couldn't get much for it. I still had quite a few pegs left at the end.

Attempt #7 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 822,320 
  • I thought I'd messed it up again, as a couple of the early balls didn't go as well as they could have, but I did well with the laser ball, did enough with the grenade, and made up the difference by making some catches towards the end.

    On the next attempt for the video, I did plenty of damage with the power ups, and took a total clearance for 907,400.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 820,710 
  • I hadn't tried this layout with a laser ball, and I suspected that using one would lessen the difficulty a lot. Well, it did. The laser ball took out a big chunk of pegs, and although it didn't earn me a vast number of points, it cleared enough space for me to be able to make quite a few subsequent catches for extra bonuses. I was soon in the position of needing only 7 pegs off the last 6 balls, with less than 100k left to score. And that completes the Ace for board 81.

    It took another three attempts to get it again for the video. I took a total clearance in all three games, but only managed a pro score in the third one. I eventually made 769,870.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
91
Reds
10
-
500k
5
512,630
337,432
2
35
70
Reds
9
-
475k
1
713,750
713,750
3
25
85
Reds
10
-
475k
1
579,560
579,560
4
25
126
Reds
10
-
525k
2
786,810
481,745
5
20
90
Reds
10
-
400k
1
556,270
556,270
6
35
85
500k
9
-
800k
7
822,320
564,535
7
35
70
All
9
-
650k
3
820,710
537,803
8
40
126
Reds
9
-
800k
2
859,440
786,925
9
35
91
All
9
-
725k
1
933,940
933,940
10
30
90
Reds
8
4s
500k
1
557,140
557,140

No comments:

Post a Comment