Thursday, October 18, 2012

Board 68: Unicorn Armada

The picture is of a ship sailing in the middle of an armada. It has a unicorn figurehead. There is also an enormous bell in the background hanging between two towers on adjacent mountain tops.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 91 total - Pro target 525k)

Lots of curves. The follow the edges of the sails, with some more at the bottom like a rough sea. Plus a load of indivudual round pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 328,140
  • Still had one red peg left at the end. But I was still about 200k short of the pro target so there was quite a bit of work left to do.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 565,120
  • Managed to scrape together enough points from rebounds and slides to achieve the pro target. There have been easier first levels, but there have been harder ones too.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 114 total - Pro target 450k)

We have a big thick cross filled with individual pegs both round and diamond. There should be some good opportunities for rebounds here, as long as I can clear the pegs near the firing point.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 456,510
  • I tried to leave a red peg untouched until I'd accumulated enough points, but I caught an unexpected rebound. Luckily, I picked up a decent bonus and had just enough balls left to give me the points I needed to scrape in.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 96 total - Pro target 475k)

A design based on the picture. There are lots of straight lines, curves, individual pegs, a bit of everything. It's hard to know how these levels are going to pan out.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 294,160
  • Only 14 shots, so not enough catches made. Ran out of balls before I finished clearing the reds.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 438,170
  • Only took one more shot than last time, but got much closer. Just one red peg left which I couldn't quite get through to. The score was on target too.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 582,280
  • Got it that time. Up to 21 shots, and those extra catches made all the difference.

Level 4 (Clear 25 red pegs from 119 total - Pro target 450k)

This design is based on the bell in the distance, suspended between the two towers. There's quite a few vertical and near vertical pegs near the side walls which are good for deflections, so there could be some promise here.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 431,060
  • I had most of the design cleared apart from the two curves that made up the very bottom of the bell. But I ran out of balls before I could decide how to tackle it.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 347,120
  • Catches seemed much harder to come by that time, so I failed with only 65% of the level cleared after 13 shots. Not a very good attempt. I'll have another go before I resort to a power up.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 421,310
  • I really should have had that one, but I blew it with a careless final shot. With one red peg left and only about 35k needed, I thought I'd take it off the side wall for a guaranteed pro finish, but I missed it.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 403,770
  • I felt I had a chance at the pro score there, but an unexpected deflection took out the last three reds all at once, when I could possibly have gone on to pick up a couple more bonuses first.

Level 5 (Score 400k with 35 red pegs and 56 blue - Pro target 675k)

The same design as level 1, although it's unusual for a design to be repeated so soon. The target score shouldn't be a problem, but the pro score might be.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 560,940
  • As I thought, the basic target was easy to reach, but the pro score a lot harder. I still had quite a few red pegs left at the end, so some more catches and I might have got there.

Level 6 (Clear 25 red pegs from 118 total - Pro target 525k)

A crow's nest design with a lot of pegs meshed very closely together. I'll try it without a power up first, but both the laser and the grenade would probably work well here.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 237,240
  • Not a very good attempt, that one. Far too many careless shots and not enough catches.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 305,250
  • An even worse attempt than the last one. The yellow peg took a long time to get to, then I didn't do much with it, managing to avoid the biggest concentration of pegs. I tried to bide my time to pick off purple rebounds, but kept misjudging them.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 608,440
  • Took no chances that time, and opted for both the laser and grenade balls, both of which work well on levels like this where lots of pegs are condensed into a small area. I did much better with the laser this time, and it never really looked in doubt from then on.

Level 7 (Clear 35 red pegs from 114 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 575k)

The same design as level 2. It didn't prove too tricky then, so I'll try without power ups first.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 477,490
  • I was short on score and trying to build it up with rebounds and catches when I ran out of balls. I think it's worth one more try without power ups.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 495,720
  • Close again, but not quite there. Again I ran out of balls while trying to add a few more points. Only two red pegs left which I probably could have taken with a single ball, but I couldn't guarantee where the ball would fall afterwards.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 331,400
  • Not very close that time. It's time to give up and try the laser ball.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 853,800
  • No problems with the laser ball. Although I'm not sure that it actually made that much difference. By and large I just got lucky. I picked up a lot more fortunate catches. I got the split ball off the white peg and both balls fell in the bucket for the 100k bonus. That sort of thing. I got a total clearance which I probably wouldn't have got without the laser, but I suspect I would have done enough to get the pro score.

Level 8 (Clear 35 red pegs from 119 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 700k)

The same design as level 4, but a few more red pegs and one less ball. The pro target is quite a lot higher though, so I'll start with the laser ball.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 811,690
  • It took a while to get through to the yellow peg, but once I had, it didn't really look in doubt. It was just a matter of building my score high enough. I always seemed to have plenty of balls in hand.

Level 9 (Clear 35 red pegs from 118 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 6, but just like the last level, this one has a few more red pegs, one less ball, and a higher pro target. For level 6 I ended up using double power ups to through it, so I think I'll do the same here.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 485,200
  • One red peg left at the end, but it never felt a very satisfactory attempt. The power ups could both have worked better, and indeed their trigger pegs could both have been positioned better.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 480,940
  • Still about 6 red pegs left at the end. It's very difficult to break into the heart of the pegs as they're so densely packed together.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 236,730
  • The yellow peg was completely unaccessible right down the bottom, and was still there at the end. Even when I finally broke through to the grenade ball trigger, I still couldn't trigger the laser.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 684,650
  • Managed it that time, but only just. It took a while to break through to the yellow peg. But when I had, a lot of the left hand side had gone, so I concentrated the laser ball on the right hand side. Then I made a complete mess of the grenade, but still managed to pick off enough bonuses towards the end to scrape a pro target. It needed a total clearance though.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 71 blue - Pro target 750k)

The same design as level 3, but all pegs are needed.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 335,060
  • Only 83% clearance. I struggled to get through to the yellow peg, didn't do very well with the laser once I'd got it, and hardly made any catches. Generally dreadful effort all round.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,058,420
  • The yellow peg was available straight away, and I did much better with the laser ball. Lots of catches later, I had reached and passed the pro target. In fact, everything that went wrong on the last go went right this time.

Level 4 (Clear 25 red pegs from 119 total - Pro target 450k)

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 423,590
  • Still 5 red pegs left at the end. It took too many balls to get through to the yellow peg.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball. Score: 697,400
  • Again, it took a long time to get through to the yellow peg, but I made a lot more catches so was able to fire a lot more balls. I finished with an enormous bonus of about 230k which I'm still not sure I how got.

Level 5 (Score 400k with 35 red pegs and 56 blue - Pro target 675k)

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 462,070
  • I was trying for the total clearance to boost my score, but missed by two pegs.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 771,290
  • Triggered the laser ball at the first attempt. Luck was generally with me as I seemed to pick up quite a lot of unexpected bonuses and bucket catches. Hit the pro target quite easily and finished with balls to spare.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
91
Reds
10
-
525k
2
565,120
446,630
2
25
114
Reds
10
-
450k
1
456,510
456,510
3
25
96
Reds
10
-
475k
3
582,280
438,203
4
25
119
Reds
10
-
450k
6
697,400
454,041
5
35
91
400k
10
-
675k
3
771,290
598,100
6
25
118
Reds
10
-
525k
3
608,440
383,643
7
35
114
Reds
9
-
575k
4
853,800
539,602
8
35
119
Reds
9
-
700k
1
811,690
811,690
9
35
118
Reds
9
-
650k
4
684,650
471,880
10
25
96
All
10
-
750k
2
1,058,420
696,740

No comments:

Post a Comment