Monday, October 22, 2012

Board 82: Mystic Locomotive

The picture is of a steam train flying through the clouds.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 72 total - Pro target 500k)

This design features a number of concentric circles - two solid ones made of curved pegs, and two others made of inidividual round pegs, interspersed with teleport portals. These portals all link to a single target in the centre near the top. Clearly if I can find a way of breaking into the main circle without breaking it, then there could be a big sweep bonus available.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 681,620 
  • I concentrated on the left hand side until I had a hole big enough to get into the main circle and managed to get a decent sized sweep bonus. Then I just picked off what was left as best I could. I got a total clearance, so not too difficult a layout.

    Returning for the video, I found it even easier. I took another total clearance for the bigger score of 772,850 with half a dozen or more balls to spare.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 102 total - Pro target 450k)

A design based around the cow-catcher grill on the front of the engine. Lots of straight lines which could be good for catches, although the bottom diagonal might mean I'll lose quite a few balls in the middle where catches are harder.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 572,250 
  • Because of the enclosed nature of the top, the first few balls took out quite a few pegs each, which helped clear the way for the later ones. Catches, on the whole, were not too tricky to engineer, so another fairly straightforward design.

    It took a couple more goes to repeat the pro score for the video. The first time, I cleared the last red peg by accident, leaving myself short of points. The second time, I managed to score enough - 530,630.

Level 3 (Clear 35 red pegs from 75 total - Pro target 450k)

I'm not sure what aspect of the picture this is supposed to represent, but we have three parallell lines which are level at each end, and sloping in the centre, then some loose pegs at the bottom. It's quite reminiscent of level 3 of Mill Valley only a few boards ago.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 626,670 
  • I was in trouble towards the end with only one ball left and still six pegs remaining. But the pegs were close together, so I fired a ball in the middle of them in the hope that I could catch it, and it took out five of the six and earned an extra ball. I was already over the pro target anyway, so that effectively won me the level. That's three goes and three pro scores so far - a pretty good start.

    No such problems when I came back for the video. A comfortable total clearance with balls to spare for a score of 688,260.

Level 4 (Clear 30 red pegs from 109 total - Pro target 400k)

A design based on the picture with pegs for the moon, the train, the clouds and the headlight beams. The pro score is quite low which implies that bonuses might be harder to earn.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 501,890 
  • This one seemed a little tougher than the previous levels, and I thought I was going to run out of balls before I'd taken all the red pegs, but a couple a good shots and a couple of lucky deflections got me home. And that's 4 pro targets out of 4 this morning.

    A bit more of a struggle second time around - it took three more attempts to get the video. When I did get it, it was due to a sudden burst of bonuses in a couple of shots towards the end.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 114 total - Pro target 475k)

a big cross like an old-fashioned railway crossing sign. Doesn't look too hard, but we shall see.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 435,680
  • I could have completed this, but I was holding off taking the last peg, trying to build a pro score. Not far off, although I rode my luck at times.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 486,730 
  • I managed to hand on long enough at the end that time to build a pro score. I didn't think I was going to be anywhere near it at one stage, but a couple of fortuitous late bonuses put me close enough to make it worthwhile trying for it. Catches are tricky to engineer early on, but they get easier towards the end.

    Coming back for the video, I got it again first time, but it was touch and go. I needed a total clearance.

Level 6 (Clear 35 red pegs from 102 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 550k)

The same design as level 2. I had no great problems with it last time, so I'll try it without power ups, at least to start with.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 302,600
  • Still had four red pegs left at the end. But the catches could have gone better, so it's worth another try.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 259,180
  • Eight pegs left that time. These attempts are getting worse. I'll have one more go before I take a power up.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 271,440
  • Five left that time. Time for the laser ball, I think.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 797,200 
  • Quite easy with the laser ball. I could have finished some time before I did with balls in hand, but I went for a big score instead.

    It took me two more attempts with the laser ball to get it again for the video. I finished a little prematurely on the second attempt, but I had enough balls in hand at the end to push my score over the pro target.

Level 7 (Clear 40 red pegs from 109 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 675k)

The same design as level 4, but with more red pegs, less balls and a considerably higher pro target. This seemed quite tough before, so I'll jump straight in with the laser ball.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 423,240
  • Too many clumsy shots in that effort. 17 shots means the catches weren't bad, but too many badly judged angles was the main problem.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 337,200
  • That one was much worse. Only 11 shots that time.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 512,490
  • That was better, and I could have finished, but tried to earn some more points at the end and missed a catch due to an unexpected deflection.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 538,070
  • I tried adding a trampoline which worked OK. My best score yet, and only 4 pegs left at the end. I felt I needed the total clearance to get to the pro target so that's what I was attempting. I was nearly there, but missed a catch too many.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 605,540
  • Similar to the previous attempt. I was going for the total clearance but ran out of balls before I could quite finish. Again, I only had a handful of pegs left - 95% clearance.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Grenade Ball. Score: 783,170 
  • Got it that time. Didn't think I was going to as it took ages to get through to the trigger peg for the laser. I got lucky with it, though, as a lucky deflection off the rim managed to take out a lot more pegs than I was expecting. I was aiming at a total clearance again, but I didn't need it in the end and left a couple of blue pegs.

    Two more attempts were needed to get it again for the video. The last shot was intended as a catch off the purple peg to gain the extra points I still needed, but it took out the last red by mistake. I earned a few bonuses though - enough for pro anyway, so it didn't matter.

Level 8 (Score 450k with 40 red pegs and 35 blue, with only 8 balls - Pro target 675k)

The same design as level 3. I think I'll try it without power ups first as it wasn't that hard a level last time.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 247,360
  • Terrible effort. Maybe I'll use the laser ball after all.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 711,940 
  • Got it with the laser ball. I caught a couple of good rim deflections with the laser ball, so it earned a lot of points. I missed the total clearance by a single peg, but by then it didn't matter as I'd already surpassed the pro target.

    Coming back for the video, a total clearance at the first attempt was enough.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 42 blue - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 1. Last time I got a total clearance even though I didn't need one, so I'll try it without any power ups to start with.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 824,560 
  • I actually got the total clearance easier that time than I got on level 1. I had four or five balls in hand at the end. Certainly one of the most straightforward level 9s that I can remember.

    And another comfortable total clearance with the next attempt for the video. The score wasn't quite as good, only 719,620, but it was enough.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 84 blue - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 5. It took a couple of attempts last time, so I'll start with a laser ball.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 746,170 
  • Got it on the first attempt without too much difficulty. I needed the laser ball, I think though. And that's the Ace as well, as, unusually, I managed to hit the pro target for every level as I went through.

    It took two more attempts to get the video for this one. I was struggling for points, but I started picking the pegs off one at a time quite early on. I stretched the game out to 54 shots, but I just about got to the end without running out of balls.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
72
Reds
10
-
500k
1
681,620
681,620
2
25
102
Reds
10
-
450k
1
572,250
572,250
3
35
75
Reds
10
-
450k
1
626,670
626,670
4
30
109
Reds
10
-
400k
1
501,890
501,890
5
25
114
Reds
10
-
475k
2
486,730
461,205
6
35
102
Reds
9
-
550k
4
797,200
407,605
7
40
109
Reds
8
-
675k
6
783,170
533,285
8
40
75
450k
8
-
675k
2
711,940
479,650
9
30
72
All
10
-
650k
1
824,560
824,560
10
30
114
All
10
-
650k
1
746,170
746,170

No comments:

Post a Comment