Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Board 119: Big Top Pavilion

This picture is of a circus big top. The entrance to the huge marquee is flanked by a couple of statues of elephants, standing of podia, balancing beach balls on their trunks.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 126 total - Pro target 450k)

The first design looks like a circus trailer with a big window in the side.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 400,350
  • I took the last three red pegs out all in the same ball. I suppose I should have realised that possibility existed and been more careful, or maybe built my score up a little more before I took that particular shot.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 331,920
  • I had four red pegs left, but they were all in a wheel, and I had a gap in the circle in just the right spot, so I was confident I could take them all out in one shot. Unfortunately I was struggling for points and finding catches difficult off the remaining blue pegs.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 471,250 
  • I picked up quite a few lucky catches at the start of this one, which helped a lot. I still needed lots of points, but having those extra balls in hand gave me more freedom to go for more adventurous shots.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 120 total - Pro target 500k)

The second design follows the lines in the picture, particularly those of the tent and the hills in rgw background.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 480,450
  • One red peg left and closing in on the pro target. I thought I could either get both red pegs with the final ball or make a catch, but I got neither.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 319,600
  • Too many missed catches in the first half-dozen balls left me short of balls before I'd hardly got going. There are a lot of pegs here to negotiate your way around to get to the red ones.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 311,320
  • A similar problem to the previous attempt. I'll add a laser ball and see how I get on then.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 800,660 
  • Certainly a lot easier with the laser ball. I could get the yellow peg with the first ball, then do plenty of damage with a standard laser ball path. After that it was mainly just picking off red pegs and the odd purple one to build my score as much as possible, and get a total clearance.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 106 total - Pro target 400k)

The third design is essentially a trapezium with a zigzag line passing through it. It looks a bit like a tent.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 935,290 
  • That layout seemed straightforward enough. Lots of straight edges make for predictable bounces, and easier catches, particularly in the endgame. I cleared the red pegs easily enough, leaving one untouched while I cleared the remaining blue pegs for a total clearance.

Level 4 (Clear 25 red pegs from 127 total - Pro target 400k)

The fourth design has eight peg circles around each of the three balls in the picture and then a fairly thick scattering of single round pegs surrounding them. This is the third layout of the four so far to have 120 pegs or more.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 400,360 
  • I hit the last red peg before I was ready when I still had three or four balls in hand, and I thought I'd blown it. But the 50k final bucket bonus, plus the bonus of the balls I had left, were just enough to see me squeak over the line by a scant 360 points.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 121 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 450k)

The fifth design features two huge striped balls like the ones in the picture, and again we have in excess of 120 pegs. This will give this board the second highest peg count of all boards so far blogged, after Frozen Temple.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 505,340 
  • I thought I was in trouble on that one, as I was down to my final ball and still had four red pegs left, all but one of them hidden by blues. But by carefully picking of the blue pegs that were in the way, and then the red pegs, I extended the game by another 10 shots which got me all the red pegs and a pro score.

Level 6 (Clear 35 red pegs from 126 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 750k)

The same design as level 1, but with 10 more red pegs, two less balls, and 300k on the pro target. I got level 1 without power ups, but it took three attempts and I got nowhere near this pro target, so I'd better jump straight in with a laser ball.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 746,710
  • I made a total clearance, but I still fell short of the pro target by just under 4k. I got 60k from the final bucket bonus, but it wasn't quite enough.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 453,940
  • The yellow peg was disastrously positioned in the centre of the lower left wheel, and by the time I'd hit it, I was down to my very last ball having scored very few points. I gained a couple of balls back from the laser ball, but I still had way too much to do to really have much of a chance.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 840,470 
  • Again, it took several balls to get through to the yellow peg, but this time I managed to wipe out a lot more of what was left with the laser ball, so the subsequent mopping up process was that much easier. I was going for a total clearance, but my catching got a bit slapdash towards the end. I was already past the pro target though, so once I was down to my last ball, I took out the final red peg for victory.

Level 7 (Clear 35 red pegs from 120 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 575k)

The same design as level 2, but with 10 more red pegs, two less balls, and 75k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 415,130
  • It took two balls to get the yellow peg, and then I thought I did pretty well with the laser ball, but I was still some way off clearing the red pegs. I'll add another power up.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 361,600
  • I couldn't get to the yellow peg without taking out the green peg first, so neither power up ended up scoring particularly well.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 589,640
  • I got to the yellow peg, but it took awhile, and a lot of pegs were gone by the time I did. Despite this and having then played the laser ball, I still couldn't get to the green peg, and it was still there at the end.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 558,360
  • One red peg left at the end. My catching deserted me right at the end and in the last few shots none of the angles behaved as I would have expected them to.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 790,790 
  • I could get to yellow peg straight away for a change, and although the rim bounce that I got with the laser could have been better, it was OK. The Big Bounce was similarly OK. I managed to get to one red peg left, in the open, and two balls in hand, so I could shoot purple pegs for a bit until I missed a catch, then I finished it.

Level 8 (Score 600k with 30 red pegs and 91 blue, with only 8 balls - Pro target 750k)

The same design as level 5, but with 5 more red pegs, one less ball, 300k on the pro target, but just a score now to aim for.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,012,710 
  • The yellow peg was nicely on top so I could trigger the laser ball with the first shot. I then picked up a Double Score with it which gave me the basic 600k target immediately. Getting the remaining 150k was child's play. I left a couple of red pegs but that didn't matter as I already had a seven figure score.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 76 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 600k)

The same design as level 3, but with 5 more red pegs, one less ball, 200k on the pro target and a total clearance now required. Well I got a total clearance on level 3 without power ups, so this shouldn't really be any harder.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 368,020
  • Not enough early catches, or ricochets, left me way too much to do in the endgame. I was picking off single pegs for a while, but some of the catches were just too tricky to judge. I only managed a 75% clearance in the end.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 901,830 
  • I had to get a bit of luck with early catches to get through this one without power ups, much like I did on level 3. But again, with a decent start, it seemed a comfortable finish.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 97 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 700k)

The same design as level 4, but with 5 more red pegs, one less ball, 300k on the pro target, and a total clearance needed. I did level 4 without power ups, but I just made the much lower pro target, and I didn't get a total clearance, so I'll be starting with a laser ball.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,087,990 
  • I got the yellow peg first ball, and had a perfect double rim bounce with the laser ball. It was still touch and go towards the end, but my catching was just about up to the job.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
126
Reds
10
-
450k
3
471,250
401,173
2
25
120
Reds
10
-
500k
4
800,660
478,007
3
25
106
Reds
10
-
400k
1
935,290
935,290
4
25
127
Reds
10
-
400k
1
400,360
400,360
5
25
121
Reds
9
-
450k
1
505,340
505,340
6
35
126
Reds
8
-
750k
3
840,470
680,373
7
35
120
Reds
8
-
575k
5
790,790
543,104
8
30
121
600k
8
-
750k
1
1,012,710
1,012,710
9
30
106
All
9
-
600k
2
901,830
634,925
10
30
127
All
9
-
700k
1
1,087,990
1,087,990

No comments:

Post a Comment