Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Board 30: Spooky Manor

This picture is of a very creepy looking house. Glowing carved pumpkins sit atop the gateposts, there are boards across the front door yet lights shine from every window. A bat hangs from a tree branch in the corner of the picture.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 110 total - Pro target 475k)

The first design follows the lines of the picture - the pumpkins on the gate, plus various other bits of the house, the trees, and the bat in the top corner.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 481,350 
  • I was trying to avoid the final red when I hit it on a deflection, but fortunately the ricochet took out quite a few pegs and I was on the maximum multiplier, so even with a 10k final bucket, I picked up enough points to make the pro target.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 99 total - Pro target 600k)

The second design is of a large bat, much like the one hanging from the tree in the picture, only the right way up.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 305,510
  • I kept missing catches in that one. Time after time I hit the rim of the bucket as it moved away from the edge of the screen. If I can improve on that a little then this layout should be perfectly possible without power ups.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 207,890
  • I think I only made one catch. Dreadful. I'll give it one more go.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 449,860
  • A lot closer, only one red peg left, but I still needed another 150k for pro. I'd better use a laser ball.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 892,030 
  • It took a few shots to get through to the yellow peg, but I made good use of the laser ball, and then luck was with me for once, and I made a few fortunate catches. I ended up taking a total clearance, although only by taking a silly and unnecessary risk on the last blue peg.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 125 total - Pro target 500k)

The third design is of five ghosts - one in each corner and one in the middle.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 411,930
  • A poorly judged shot straight into the bucket at the end only caught the rim, bounced across the screen and took out the last red peg before I was ready. I still needed just over 100k, but even on my last ball I had a chance if I'd taken my time a bit more.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 578,970
  • I had the score this time, but one of the last two red pegs was hidden beneath some blue ones. I thought I might be able to deflect onto it from the other red peg, and I thought it worth the risk as it was probably my best chance of getting it. Unfortunately I just missed it.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 495,820
  • One red peg left again, and right on target for a pro score. I'll have one more attempt before I make it easy with a laser ball.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 572,160 
  • I thought I'd taken out the last red too early again, off an unplanned deflection, but the ball dropped obligingly into the 100k bucket so it was fine.

Level 4 (Clear 25 red pegs from 107 total - Pro target 550k)

The fourth design is a huge pumpkin head, similar to those on the gateposts in the picture.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 880,930 
  • I found this one quite easy. The enclosed shape with an obvious entry point at the top makes for some good early ricochets. I found the angles quite conducive to making catches as well. I couldn't quite keep going all the way to a total clearance as I had one blue peg left when I got down to my last ball, and it wasn't worth the risk to take it on.

Level 5 (Clear 20 red pegs from 84 total - Pro target 425k)

The fifth and final design has ten small obstacles in the shape of rounded triangles, and a scattering of round pegs intermingled with them.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 178,000
  • I didn't think the red pegs were particularly favourably positioned for me. I found bonuses quite hard to come by. Catches were always going to be hard on a level like this, and I only made one.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 368,290
  • One red peg left, but I couldn't see a way of getting to it. I came very close with my last ball, hitting pegs all around it, and was unlucky not to take it out, but there you go.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 329,360
  • Two red pegs left that time, and I was struggling to find a route through to either of them. I should probably add a power up, but I don't know which to use. I'm not convinced a laser ball will be of much use, and a Big Bounce would probably just get trapped. The Split Ball or even the Gravity Ball might work well here.

Attempt #4 - Split Ball. Score: 301,280
  • I wouldn't have thought it possible, but after the Split Ball activated, one of the balls managed to find a clear route through without hitting anything at all, so that was a complete waste of time.

Attempt #5 - Split Ball & Split Ball. Score: 425,790 
  • The power ups were both rubbish, but I managed to squeak through nonetheless. I had one red peg left and one ball. I'd managed to clear a path through to it, so hitting it wasn't a problem. I still needed just over 100k for the pro target, but I'd already pushed my luck with catches off the purple peg. I took a chance that the cones would funnel the ball into the centre and the 100k bonus bucket, and that's just what they did.

Level 6 (Clear 35 red pegs from 99 total - Pro target 725k)

The same design as level 2, but with 10 more red pegs, and 125k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 770,940 
  • It took quite a few balls to get to the yellow peg. Although there weren't that many pegs left for the laser ball, I did manage to find a path for it that went through quite a few of them and scored a reasonable number of pegs. I had my work cut out after that, but my catching up pretty good. I had to go all the way to a total clearance, but I got to the pro target in the end.

Level 7 (Score 400k with 25 red pegs and 82 blue - Pro target 800k)

The same design as level 4, but with 250k on the pro target and just a score to go for.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 629,080
  • I was going OK, but then my catching let me down at the end. I had one red peg left at the end. I may have been too impatient and was taking purple pegs on that were too difficult to stand a reasonable chance of making catches off.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 498,470
  • Two red pegs left that time. Perhaps I should add a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 892,230 
  • The yellow peg was on the centre line so I could get it easily enough by shooting down the pumpkin stalk. I did quite well with the laser ball, getting a decent rim bounce. After that it was just mopping up and picking up bonuses wherever I could find them to keep the score going up.

Level 8 (Clear 35 red pegs from 125 total, with a 5s shot-clock - Pro target 775k)

The same design as level 3, but with 10 more red pegs, 275k on the pro target, and a five second shot-clock.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 493,070
  • The yellow peg was awkwardly placed as one of the eyes of the lower left ghost, so it took several balls to get to. I then had to take a non-standard path with the laser ball, although that actually worked pretty well. The balls I'd lost earlier on had done their damage though, and I ran out before I could clear the reds.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 700,160
  • I cleared the red pegs, but couldn't accumulate enough points for pro.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 845,580 
  • I got the yellow peg on my second ball, and scored well from the laser ball. I didn't have to worry too much about purple pegs after that, just concentrate on clearing the reds, and enough points came from that alone.

Level 9 (Clear 30 red pegs from 84 total - Pro target 575k)

The same design as level 5, but with 10 more red pegs, and 150k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Split Ball & Split Ball. Score: 454,960
  • Just one red peg left, and maybe I should have gone for a finish once I got to 450k, as I could get the final red peg off an obstacle for 25k so a 100k finish would have been enough. I'd already rode my luck outrageously with the previous two catches. Instead I went for an even more unlikely purple peg which didn't work.

Attempt #2 - Split Ball & Split Ball. Score: 405,540
  • Just three pegs left in total and only one of them red. These power ups aren't really working. I think I'll try a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 326,900
  • Two red pegs left I think. I hate these layouts that are essentially blind luck. Aiming for catches is more or less impossible. All you can really do is aim for the first ricochet and hope for the best.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 486,480
  • I cleared the red pegs, taking the last one out by accident, and even got a 100k final bonus but I was still nearly 100k short of the pro target.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 249,100
  • The best chance with the laser ball is to try and get a good ricochet amongst the obstacles and not worry about a bounce since it's unlikely to go very far anyway. It took too long to get to the yellow peg that time although I did get the laser ball to bounce around quite a bit.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 395,930
  • Two red pegs left. Again I couldn't get to the yellow peg, and by the time I did, most of the central pegs had gone and these were the one I'd hoped to take out with the laser ball.

Attempt #7 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 339,590
  • Just two pegs left in total, one red and one blue, but I had no real chance of getting a pro score even if I could make an unlikely catch off the last blue. Even hitting it at all seemed unlikely.

Attempt #8 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 420,390
  • Probably my best attempt yet. Just one red peg left, but I still needed a little bit more score at the end before I could attempt a finish.

Attempt #9 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 605,760 
  • I didn't score much from the laser ball, but it cleared out quite a few of the pegs in the middle of the design, and they're some of the most awkward to get to. I took a few lucky catches, and picked up a few lucky bonuses. I got down to one red peg and one blue, still needing another 75k for pro, and although I tried all manner of angles to get to the last blue peg, I couldn't find one that worked. In the end I went down to one ball and had to take the final red and hope for the bast. Luckily I found the 100k bucket and that was that.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 85 blue - Pro target 775k)

The same design as level 1, but with 300k on the pro target, and a total clearance now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 899,100 
  • 110 pegs is quite a lot to clear, and even after a double rim bounce with the laser ball, I still had 11 balls to take out 51 pegs at a rate of about 4.6 pegs per ball. As the pegs started to disappear, the catches got gradually easier and I managed to make just enough of them to see me through to the end.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
110
Reds
10
-
475k
1
481,350
481,350
2
25
99
Reds
10
-
600k
4
892,030
463,822
3
25
125
Reds
10
-
500k
4
578,970
514,720
4
25
107
Reds
10
-
550k
1
880,930
880,930
5
20
84
Reds
10
-
425k
5
425,790
320,544
6
35
99
Reds
10
-
725k
1
770,940
770,940
7
25
107
400k
10
-
800k
3
892,230
673,260
8
35
125
Reds
10
5s
775k
3
845,580
679,603
9
30
84
Reds
10
-
575k
9
605,760
409,405
10
25
110
All
10
-
775k
1
899,100
899,100

No comments:

Post a Comment