Thursday, July 4, 2013

Board 31: Beach Paradise

This picture is of a sunny tropical beach with a couple of dolphins leaping out of the sea close by. A couple of desert island, complete with palm trees, can be seen in the background, while a couple of crabs stand on the shore by a seashell.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 99 total - Pro target 475k)

The first design draws a picture of a palm tree on a tiny island with waves lapping at the shore and a hot sun shining in the sky.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 327,680
  • I don't think the red pegs were particularly kindly positioned, and yet I wasn't that far off clearing them. I was still about 150k short of the pro target, mind you, but it's worth another go.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 618,290 
  • I'm not sure that the red pegs were any better positioned this time. I think I just had a better understanding of the angles and could make better ricochets and catches.

Level 2 (Clear 30 red pegs from 83 total - Pro target 600k)

The second design follows some of the lines in the picture - namely the top and bottom of the dolphins, the surfaces of the islands in the background and lining the clouds. There are round pegs scattered about.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 712,600 
  • I had some good early opportunities for bonuses and ricochets, then moved on to single ball catches as the pegs started to become a little sparser.

Level 3 (Clear 30 red pegs from 106 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 375k)

The third design is a rainbow of single round pegs, while two beach balls move left to right, one under each end of the rainbow.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 161,670
  • This layout is tricky even at this level. I remember it the second time around very well, and it has a well-founded reputation of being one of the trickiest levels of all.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 319,580
  • I had a decent chance that time, but I couldn't get to the last red peg.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 531,910 
  • I got a bit of luck with the laser ball. I got the yellow peg with the first shot, and activated the Triple Score Bucket with the same shot. I managed to find a decent laser ball shot that avoided the beach balls, but that I could still take out plenty of pegs and take a catch.

Level 4 (Clear 35 red pegs from 99 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 625k)

The fourth design is of a large seashell, with a handful of round pegs scattered around it.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 252,520
  • This is a tough level to do without power ups. It's quite difficult to penetrate the shell enough to get all the red pegs that lurk within.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 618,460
  • Even with a laser ball this level is still no pushover. It got a pretty good laser ball as well, with a Split Ball, but it still wasn't enough.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 570,140
  • Just one red peg left, but I couldn't get through to it, plus I needed some more points anyway. I was trying to wait until the purple peg appeared in the right place, but I made a careless shot while I was waiting and blew it.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 653,320 
  • The laser ball worked well, getting a good rim bounce. I was still left with the work to do with the last ball, breaking a path through to the final red peg, but I got there.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 108 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 450k)

The final design features three beach balls, arranged in a triangle, and acting as obstacles. Each ball has a double ring of round pegs around it.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 531,820 
  • I rode my luck a bit at times, particularly towards the end when I managed to get some good ricochets among the few remaining blue pegs, and earn some extra points and extra balls when I really needed them.

Level 6 (Score 400k with 40 red pegs and 43 blue - Pro target 750k)

The same design as level 2, but with 10 more red pegs, 150k on the pro target, but just a score now as a target.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 847,260 
  • I had to work quite hard for that one. I had to make lots of careful shot selections towards the end, taking the blue pegs in a specific order to make the catches as easy as possible. That meant waiting patiently for the purple peg to appear in the right place each time as I needed all the points I could get, stretching the game out to 49 shots. I was a little lucky to finish in the 100k, but I'd carefully waited until even a 10k final bucket would have got me there.

Level 7 (Clear 40 red pegs from 106 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 3, but with 10 more red pegs, one less ball, and 275k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 521,720
  • Despite a good laser ball, I was still struggling to make the pro score. I only had two red pegs left at the end, but catches are hard to come by on this level.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 375,820
  • The laser ball looked like it was going to be good, but it hit the white ball, and by the time it restarted the beach balls had moved and the ball missed them altogether.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 551,830
  • Just one red peg left that time, but I just couldn't get the catches I needed in the endgame.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 465,830
  • It took too long to get to the yellow peg, and then the Big Bounce scored very little.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 323,160
  • The laser ball was a disaster, catching one of the beach balls straight after hitting the bucket and going straight up and down.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 258,190
  • Another laser ball disaster. Once that happens the game is as good as over.

Attempt #7 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 610,600
  • I took a chance at the end on getting a 100k final bonus, despite the final peg being right over to one side, because I didn't trust myself to make another catch anywhere else. But I only managed 50k and it wasn't enough.

Attempt #8 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 368,610
  • I missed any kind of second bounce or catch on the laser ball which didn't help. And the Big Bounce wasn't particularly effective either. This level needs a lot of luck.

Attempt #9 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 450,210
  • Not particularly close. The laser ball was OK, but I didn't get many catches and the Big Bounce didn't do much.

Attempt #10 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 764,860 
  • It took three balls to break through to the yellow peg, none of which I caught. I did reasonably well with the laser ball, not getting a catch, but a glance off one of the beach balls at the end of the second arc deflected the ball into a group of three reds which gained me a few extra points. The Big Bounce looked like it was going to miss everything, but on its very last bounce it entered a cluster of red pegs and took out most of them. After that, I played single peg catches until the end and did it quite well, generally managing to miss the beach balls and make nearly all the catches.

Level 8 (Clear 45 red pegs from 108 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 750k)

The same design as level 5, but with 20 more red pegs, and 300k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 598,450
  • Just one red peg left, but it was very tricky to get to, and I was well short of the pro target anyway. I'd better add a Big Bounce.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 352,770
  • The laser ball caught the first beach ball and missed the bucket entirely. There was no coming back from that.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 693,270
  • I took a chance with the last red that I could get an unlikely 100k final bucket bonus as the last two blue pegs were hidden below the lowest beach ball. I only managed the 10k bucket so it was not to be.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 362,780
  • I got absolutely no luck with anything in that one. The yellow peg took ages to get to, then the laser ball didn't get much, nor did the Big Bounce, and I made practically no catches.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 246,610
  • Another one devoid of any luck. Moving quickly on.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 375,530
  • Another disastrous laser ball. On my very first attempt at this level, I found a really good angle for the laser ball, but I've not been able to find it since. Unfortunately I deleted the video before taking the time to study the angle.

Attempt #7 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 507,430
  • Only one red peg left, but I was short of points so couldn't take it.

Attempt #8 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 651,790
  • A decent score next but still about three red pegs left at the end. I was getting the ricochets but not the catches.

Attempt #9 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 727,010
  • My best score yet at this level, but I missed two red pegs.

Attempt #10 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 734,290
  • Probably my closest attempt yet. I cleared all the reds and put myself in with a chance of a pro score, but I needed a 100k final bonus and only got a 50k. Maybe I should have looked harder for a purple peg or two before I went for the finish.

Attempt #11 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 244,020
  • The yellow peg was tricky to get to and cost me most of my balls to get it.

Attempt #12 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 505,710
  • The laser ball wasn't very effective, and I didn't take enough catches. My approach with the laser ball clearly isn't working, so perhaps I need to look for a whole new approach.

Attempt #13 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 462,030
  • I tried bouncing the laser ball off the top of the left-hand beach ball. I missed the bucket bounce altogether so it didn't work, but if I can adjust the timing a bit, there could be some promise there.

Attempt #14 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 566,470
  • I triggered the Big Bounce before the laser ball, so I had little chance, although I didn't do too badly for all that. I didn't quite get the timing for the laser ball, but I caught the rim of the bucket so I wasn't far out, although I really want to get the bucket travelling in the other direction to give me a chance of a catch or a rim bounce.

Attempt #15 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 459,370
  • I caught the rim of the bucket again, but at least it was travelling in the right direction this time. I didn't get much luck that time, and didn't take many catches.

Attempt #16 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 410,630
  • I got a much better laser ball this time, albeit slightly assisted by the Big Bucket to help me get the first bounce. I got no luck after that though, missing every subsequent catch.

Attempt #17 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 509,130
  • The laser ball was thrown off by the Split Ball that time.

Attempt #18 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 502,510
  • I finally got a clean laser ball and it worked pretty well. I got a clean first bounce and a catch. Ideally I'd prefer a few more pegs, but it'll do for now.

Attempt #19 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 628,240
  • I didn't earn enough points early on, and was struggling towards the end. I took quite a few purple peg catches with the last ball, but I needed more and had run out of easy ones. I went for a more awkward one and missed it.

Attempt #20 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 407,160
  • I tried adjusting my laser ball slightly to see if I could improve on it at all. I missed the first bounce, but hopefully I'll get it next time.

Attempt #21 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 514,280
  • I got a bounce on the laser ball and it was a definite improvement, so I'll try that again. The rest didn't go brilliantly, particularly the Big Bounce, but this level needs a lot of luck.

Attempt #22 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 827,420 
  • Got it at the 22nd attempt. The new laser ball path worked well. I got quite lucky with catches, particularly in the early part of the game. The Big Bounce was OK but nothing special. My last red peg was underneath the central beach ball, but I managed to deflect onto it from the rim of the bucket so it dropped straight into the 100k bucket.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 69 blue - Pro target 750k)

The same design as level 4, but with 5 less red pegs, two more balls, 125k on the pro target, and a total clearance now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 889,640 
  • I eked this one out over 38 shots. The laser ball didn't work very well. I went my traditional left, but I'd have been better off going right. Going left, I was relying on a decent rim bounce to do some danage, but I triggered the Big Bucket part way through its arc and that put paid to any chance of such a bounce. That left me with 70 pegs to clear off 11 balls, so I started what must be one of longest, most drawn-out endgames that I've ever playedm, picking them off mostly one at a time.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 74 blue, with only 7 balls - Pro target 750k)

The same design as level 1, but with three less balls, 275k on the pro score, and a complete clearance now needed.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 646,040
  • Only a 90% clearance. I think I'll add a Big Bounce to help get through all these pegs.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 876,540 
  • Both power ups worked pretty well, and my catching was up to scratch. The last two levels on this board are so much easier than the previous two levels!

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
99
Reds
10
-
475k
2
618,290
472,985
2
30
83
Reds
10
-
600k
1
712,600
712,600
3
30
106
Reds
9
-
375k
3
531,910
337,720
4
35
99
Reds
8
-
625k
4
653,320
523,610
5
25
108
Reds
9
-
450k
1
531,820
531,820
6
40
83
400k
10
-
750k
1
847,260
847,260
7
40
106
Reds
8
-
650k
10
764,860
469,083
8
45
108
Reds
9
-
750k
22
827,420
513,040
9
30
99
All
10
-
750k
1
889,640
889,640
10
25
99
All
7
-
750k
2
876,540
761,290

No comments:

Post a Comment