Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Board 122: Glyph Glen

This picture shows a mysterious tablet in a wooded glade. The tablet is covered is strange glowing engraved glyphs.


Level 1 (Clear 30 red pegs from 87 total - Pro target 450k)

The first design is a regular grid of round pegs with diamond-shaped pegs placed in the gaps between them seemingly at random.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 441,480
  • I should probably have had that one, but I couldn't get through to the last couple of red pegs and missed a catch trying to clear a path.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 387,590
  • The last red peg went off an accidental ricochet and a missed the pro target by just 13k. The red pegs weren't as nicely positioned that time, and bonuses were harder to come by.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 356,470
  • Two red pegs left again. The ricochets didn't seem to want to come that time, and the balls kept finding paths between the pegs somehow.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 265,690
  • Three red pegs left that time, and a worse score. I should probably add a laser ball at this point, but I know this is possible without one. I'll have one more go first.

Attempt #5 - No power ups. Score: 594,330 
  • There you go, I knew it was possible. There were one or two lucky catches in there, but I think the luck probably evened itself out overall. There were some good catches as well.

Level 2 (Clear 30 red pegs from total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 450k)

The second design looks similar to the glyph on the surface of the tablet. It's all straight lines with rounded corners, small 8-peg circles, and a few single round pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 133,340
  • This one is definitely harder than it looks. I didn't make many catches or bonuses, and I had a lot of red pegs left at the end. I think I'll go straight for the laser ball.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 690,560 
  • It took me ages to get through to the yellow peg and I scored very little from the laser ball, but some good catching in the endgame saw me home nonetheless.

Level 3 (Clear 35 red pegs from total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 400k)

The third design is a succession of alternating round and diamond-shaped pegs, arranged in a series of straight lines that spiral in towards the centre of the design.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 361,520
  • I'm not sure that this one is tougher than it looks, because it does look quite tough. It'll need a laser ball, I think.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 257,730
  • The yellow peg was right down the bottom so getting to it was a nightmare. I took all the pegs out around it, of course, just not the yellow one. After that I got very little from the laser ball, and got nowhere near the win.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 261,320
  • Again, the yellow peg was tricky to get to, and I lost too many balls and pegs trying to activate the laser ball.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 609,640 
  • The yellow peg was nicely on top, and that made the difference I think.

Level 4 (Clear 35 red pegs from total, with only 7 balls - Pro target 425k)

The fourth design follows the lines of the picture, around tree trunks, plants, the edges of the tablet, etc. It's mainly short curved lines, but there are eight round pegs on a couple of the tree trunks as well.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 276,510
  • Seven balls is not very many to work with on a layout as complex as this one. This is definitely going to need a laser ball.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 827,370 
  • I got to the yellow peg with my second ball, but a lot of pegs had gone from the right-hand side by then, so I concentrated the laser ball on the other side where the pegs were untouched. I had one or two lucky ricochets and catches in the endgame which helped a lot, or I might have struggled.

Level 5 (Clear 35 red pegs from total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 450k)

The fifth and final design consists of four lines in a symmetrical pattern, each beginning and ending at a teleport. All these teleports connect to a single receiver in the centre of the screen.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 252,040
  • All those teleports make for some tricky catching. The laser ball might be quite hard to use as well. I think I'll try a Big Bounce.

Attempt #2 - Big Bounce. Score: 725,900 
  • The Big Bounce actually worked pretty well. It gave me the points I needed and took out a lot of the red pegs to boot. All those portals worked in my favour with it, and I think with the laser ball, they would have worked against me.

Level 6 (Clear 40 red pegs from total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 600k)

The same design as level 2, but with 10 more red pegs, one less ball and 150k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 571,830
  • Gutted! That was so nearly a major triumph over adversity. The yellow peg was really awkwardly placed and I used up most of my balls getting to it, and took out most of the pegs on the left-hand side for very little profit. I concentrated the laser ball on the other side, but I was still left with lots of points to score with not many balls. I played lots of single peg catches, and dragged it out all the way to a total clearance. I needed jut 50k off the final peg, but both balls landed in the 10k bucket to leave me 30k short. I so deserved better than that!

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 914,020 
  • I actually forgot about the yellow peg for the first couple of shots, and played some catches down the sides. Despite that, I managed to get the yellow peg without losing too many balls, and got a pretty high scoring laser ball. I didn't quite manage a total clearance, missing just one blue peg, but it didn't matter.

Level 7 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 57 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 1, but with one less ball, 200k on the pro target, and a total clearance now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 461,410
  • Only a 90% clearance. I probably could have done better with that one but missed too many catches.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 683,690
  • Up to 97% clearance that time, as I hung on much better with my catches in the endgame, but I should have gone all the way really.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 436,230
  • Only two pegs left that time, both red, but my score was low so I was forced into going off the side wall for extra points and couldn't judge it correctly.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 622,720
  • Three pegs left. I keep getting close, but my catching just lets me down at the end. I'll add a Big Bounce.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 400,560
  • The yellow peg was right down the bottom, and I ricocheted into the green peg with the first ball, so I didn't do very well with either power up as a result.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 767,630 
  • I got to the yellow peg with the first shot which meant both power ups worked much better. I did well with catches in the endgame so I still had balls in hand for the last few shots. That allowed me to take them wall first for the extra points which got me close enough to the pro target so that I wasn't relying on a good final bucket bonus.

Level 8 (Clear 45 red pegs from total, with only 6 balls - Pro target 725k)

The same design as level 4, but with 10 more red pegs, one less ball and 300k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,042,730 
  • The catching in this one seemed more lucky than good most of the time. There were several careless shots that seemed to find their way into bucket regardless. I got the yellow peg with the first shot and did OK with the laser ball. I would rather have caught it though as it had triggered the Triple Score Bucket bonus. Not to matter, as I made a seven figure score anyway.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 35 red and 20 blue, with only 8 balls - Pro target 700k)

A similar design to level 5, only the receiving portal is right down the bottom of the screen. There are 5 less red pegs, 250k on the pro target and a total clearance is now required.


Attempt #1 - Split Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 386,420
  • I'm still not sure the laser ball is well suited to this layout, so I went for a Split Ball/Big Bounce combination. As it turned out, they were both rubbish - the Big Bounce got stuck in a corner, and both split balls dropped straight off the bottom of the screen. I think it was just bad luck though, I'll try them again.

Attempt #2 - Split Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 578,710
  • Well I cleared all the pegs, but I was nowhere near the pro target. Maybe I'll give the laser ball a try after all. There might be a path for it that works.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 875,200 
  • I should have tried the laser ball earlier! As it turns out, my standard laser ball path avoids all the teleports and nets quite a reasonable score. On the back of that, a reasonable Big Bounce and some good catching, I got a total clearance with balls and points to spare.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 64 blue, with only 8 balls and a 3s shot-clock - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 3, but with 5 less red pegs, 250k on the pro target, a total clearance needed and a shot-clock of just 3 seconds.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 239,530
  • Neither power up was disastrous, but then neither worked particularly well either.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 569,270
  • I missed out by one peg. The last catch hit the rim and bounced across the screen to just miss the catch on the other side. So close!

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 370,360
  • It took too long to break through to the yellow peg. After both power ups were gone, I only had two balls left and it just wasn't enough.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 717,940 
  • I got the yellow peg with the second shot, I think it was, and the laser ball scored OK, but not brilliant. The Big Bounce was quite successful though, taking out 23 pegs for just under 150k and earning two extra balls. I made quite a few catches after that and had to take some chances in the endgame to give myself a chance at the pro target. I just needed to avoid the minimum 20k off the final bonus buckets and I very nearly got exactly that, but the second ball veered off at the last second and found the 100k bucket instead.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
30
87
Reds
10
-
450k
5
594,330
409,112
2
30
109
Reds
9
-
450k
2
690,560
411,950
3
35
94
Reds
8
-
400k
4
609,640
372,552
4
35
97
Reds
7
-
425k
2
827,370
551,940
5
35
55
Reds
8
-
450k
2
725,900
488,970
6
40
109
Reds
8
-
600k
2
914,020
742,925
7
30
87
All
9
-
650k
6
767,630
562,040
8
45
97
Reds
6
-
725k
1
1,042,730
1,042,730
9
35
55
All
8
-
700k
3
875,200
613,443
10
30
94
All
8
3s
650k
4
717,940
474,275

No comments:

Post a Comment