Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Board 115: Gold Digger's Grotto

A picture of a little cottage in the woods which is presumably meant to belong to the seven dwarves of Snow White fame. Although, I'm pretty sure the dwarves in question were miners of diamonds, or at least gems of some description, and not gold miners as the title of the board suggests. Anyway, a flight of wooden steps leads up to the front door of the cottage. Seven spades rest against the cottage wall, and seven chairs are scattered around a little table.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 102 total - Pro target 400k)

The first design follows the lines of the picture. Mainly the straight lines of the hut, table and chairs, and the curves of the steps. Plus loose round pegs elsewhere.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 593,050 
  • A pretty easy starter. I probably got a bit lucky with some early bonuses, but I might well have got there anyway.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 104 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 550k)

The second design is of the shirts on the washing line.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 227,690
  • I didn't feel I got much luck there. Very few balls seemed to go where I expected. Worth another try.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 515,420
  • The last red peg went by accident there. I probably should have waited for a better placed purple peg as I knew that was always a possibility.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 339,550
  • Not much luck again. I don't have the luxury of lots of energy to be able to throw lives at this, or I would probably persevere, as it's clearly possible without any power ups. So instead, I'll add a laser ball.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,209,730 
  • Of course, with a laser ball it became ludicrously easy. It took a couple of balls to get to the yellow peg, but once I'd activated the laser ball, I'd also activated a Triple Score Bucket. So I adjusted the timing of the laser ball slightly to take the catch instead of looking for a rim bounce as I knew the score bonus would be well worth it. The fact that it took out less pegs was clearly not a problem as I went on to make a total clearance.

Level 3 (Clear 30 red pegs from 104 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 450k)

The third design is made up entirely of single pegs. They are arranged into seven star shapes, maybe reminiscent of the seven dwarves themselves and the twinkling nature of what they dig for.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 468,190 
  • I didn't think I was going to make that. A lack of early catches meant that by the time I got down to my last ball, I still had five red pegs left and 200k still to score for the pro target. But I kept that last ball going for 11 shots, only one of which was a deliberate miss, and even then I finished before I meant to. Luckily, I avoided the 10k bucket though, finishing in the 50k which was just enough.

Level 4 (Clear 30 red pegs from 98 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 525k)

The fourth design is a great big number seven flanked by a couple of vertical lines, and outside them, a couple of vertical columns of round pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 361,100
  • It's a tricky level layout, this one. Balls have a tendency to drop off the bottom very quickly, but catches are tricky to judge. I only had one red peg left, but I needed more points.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 564,790 
  • Another one where I thought I was dead in the water quite early on. I still needed a lot of points, and didn't have many balls left, but I'd eliminated most of the central pegs, which meant if was prepared to be patient and wait for the right purple pegs to come along, it was still possible. I stretched the game out to 39 shots by playing a lot straight into the bucket while I waited, concentrating on the easiest catches first. I got lucky a couple of times near the end, but I got there.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 110 total - Pro target 425k)

The final design is of a crossed pick and shovel with some loose round pegs around them in groups of four.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 508,850 
  • Some good early ricochets and then plenty of catches later on. The pro target wasn't particularly high, and lots of straight edges makes for some straightforward catching.

Level 6 (Clear 35 red pegs from 102 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 1, but with 10 more red pegs, two less balls, and 250k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 613,170
  • Not much luck there as the balls kept finding paths through to the bottom of the screen after hitting only two or three pegs.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 164,310
  • A complete opposite experience to the previous attempt. Last time I got the score but not the red pegs, but this time I had to leave to the last red peg as my score was so dreadful. Both goes suffered from an appalling lack of catches, so I'll get a laser ball on it.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,044,210 
  • A decent result with the laser ball, although I had the Triple Score Bucket activated again, so I probably should have gone for a catch rather than a rim bounce. Not that I needed it though. I had the pro target reached well before I ran out of balls. I managed a particularly good finish as the last three pegs were all in a low central cluster, and I took all of them out together and both balls were engulfed by the 100k bonus bucket.

Level 7 (Clear 45 red pegs from 98 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 775k)

The same design as level 4, but with 15 more red pegs, one less ball, and 250k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 747,590
  • I started well enough, but too many missed catches in the midgame ruined it for me.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 447,570
  • It took a couple of balls to get to the yellow peg, and then the laser ball wasn't very good anyway. I was always struggling for points after that.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 383,740
  • Again, too many missed catches and not enough ricochets.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 455,990
  • I tried a different path with the laser ball, but it was a disaster. Before I knew it I was down to the last ball. I tried to keep it going for as long as I could, but the cause was hopeless.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 639,370
  • It took way too long to break through to the yellow peg. I just didn't have enough balls left afterwards.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 548,040
  • It's so frustrating when you get a run like this where you're just not getting any luck. It doesn't seem to matter how many power ups you throw at it, the balls just don't do what they're supposed to.

Attempt #7 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 781,390 
  • Finally got it on attempt number 7. Nothing much particularly different happened to previous goes. I just got that little bit of extra luck that was missing. I made plenty of catches throughout the game, and got a total clearance. Even with all the pegs I still only just scraped a pro score by 6k or so.

Level 8 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 79 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 550k)

The same design as level 3, but with 5 less red pegs, 100k on the pro target, and a total clearance now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 345,360
  • Only an 88% clearance. Too many missed catches. It doesn't appear to be my day at the moment.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 347,980
  • An 89% clearance that time. Still not getting any luck. I need some decent ricochets early in the game, and I'm just not getting them. I could also do with a yellow peg that I can get to early.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 744,880 
  • I definitely got the luck that time. Lots of fortunate catches. It didn't look likely when I only had three balls to clear 19 pegs, but the luck kept coming, as well as plenty of played-for catches.

Level 9 (Score 550k with 30 red pegs and 74 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 800k)

The same design as level 2, but with 5 more red pegs, 250k on the pro target, but only a points target to aim for.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,389,120 
  • I got the yellow peg with the second shot, and then the laser ball went a bit points crazy. It seemed to generate a constant stream of bonuses as it went, picking up a Double Score from the white peg, and a perfect rim bounce that arced across the screen to land back in the bucket. It scored 173k doubled to 347k, plus 320k in bonuses, making a whopping 677k in total. The basic target was ancient history, and I only needed another 65k for the pro target, with 10 balls to do it with. Needless to say I got a total clearance with four balls to spare and a big seven figure score.

Level 10 (Clear 45 red pegs from 110 total, with only 7 balls - Pro target 600k)

The same design as level 5, but with 20 more red pegs, three less balls, and 175k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 695,240
  • It took a few balls to get to the yellow peg. The laser ball worked particularly well, but the damage had already been done.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 273,320
  • The yellow peg was dreadfully placed, and it took nearly all my balls to get to it. By the time I eventually activated the laser ball, there were so many gaps everywhere it hardly scored anything.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 857,030
  • That was just stupid. I had the game won easily and was just using up balls before I took the finish. I should have cleared the route to the final red peg, but I thought I had a guaranteed rebound onto it. I got down to my last ball, went for the rebound and missed it. Idiot!

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 655,320 
  • It took a couple of balls to get to the yellow peg, but the laser ball worked OK. I very soon found myself with only three balls left, and still 34 pegs remaining, 11 of them red and still 250k needed for pro. At that point I had to resort to playing one peg at a time. Most single peg catches on this layout are actually quite easily, but I had a lot to do. I eventually worked my way through all 34 pegs for a total clearance.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
102
Reds
10
-
400k
1
593,050
593,050
2
25
104
Reds
9
-
550k
4
1,209,730
573,097
3
30
104
Reds
9
-
450k
1
468,190
468,190
4
30
98
Reds
9
-
525k
2
564,790
462,945
5
25
110
Reds
10
-
425k
1
508,850
508,850
6
35
102
Reds
8
-
650k
3
1,044,210
607,230
7
45
98
Reds
8
-
775k
7
781,390
571,955
8
25
104
All
9
-
550k
3
744,880
479,406
9
30
104
550k
9
-
800k
1
1,389,120
1,389,120
10
45
110
Reds
7
-
600k
4
857,030
620,227

No comments:

Post a Comment