Sunday, June 9, 2013

Board 39: Leonine Fount

This picture, for a change, shows something small and quite normal, instead the usual fanciful designs. It's an ornate fountain in the shape of a lion's head, pouring water into a bird bath through its mouth. It is mounted on a plain brick wall with ivy trailing around it. An unusual yellow bird perches on the edge of the pool.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 97 total - Pro target 400k)

The first design has broken lines that follow the pointing between the bricks, and semi-circles over the fountain itself.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 509,220 
  • Lots of straight horizontal and vertical edges make for lots of good catching angles and opportunities for bonuses. I achieved the pro target with balls to spare.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 113 total - Pro target 475k)

The second design has straight lines around the lion's head on three sides, plus a curve over the top of it. Also some additional curlicues in the four corners of the picture, the upper ones of which look to offer a couple of good sweep shots to start.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 351,730
  • The two big slides at the beginning worked fine, but the catching after that was not brilliant. I may have been better off going for more early ricochets in the central part of the design than concentrating on the edges like I did.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 620,430 
  • I learnt some lessons from the first attempt. I managed to catch one of the first two balls that sweep the upper curves, and then used a couple of balls to take out some of the central pegs. I made the pro target with balls to spare so kept going until I got down to the last one.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 104 total - Pro target 500k)

The third design has solid lines down the very edges, single round pegs in the middle, and five short horizontal lines on each side that move left and right.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 931,050 
  • I didn't find this one particularly tricky. Lots of horizontal and vertical pegs make for plenty of simple catches. I extended the game to 34 shots and made a total clearance.

Level 4 (Clear 25 red pegs from 96 total - Pro target 550k)

The fourth design consists of straight lines of alternating round and diamond-shaped pegs framing the lion's head on three sides.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 314,020
  • The red pegs weren't very conveniently positioned so I really struggled for early bonuses. I got down to one red peg left, but I was a long way short on points. I'll give it another go.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 360,730
  • Struggled for both points and red pegs that time. I'm not sure it's worth persevering without power ups. I'll add a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 425,330
  • The final red peg went off a ricochet while I still had balls in hand. Annoying, as I probably could have built a pro score with what was left.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 680,900 
  • That one was all a bit more comfortable. I picked up more catches, and got a good rim bounce with the laser ball that out most of the low pegs. It meant I had plenty of balls in hand in the endgame, so I could go on to take a relaxed total clearance.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 92 total - Pro target 600k)

The final design consists of five convex curves and a number of separate round pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 565,490
  • I seemed on target all the way through that one, but then missed a few catches towards the end, and messed up the final ball, taking out the last red peg with a ricochet that should have gone nowhere near it. Clumsy.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 677,290 
  • The improvement on the previous go was slight but enough. It was just the odd extra bonus or catch here and there, but it made a big difference. I didn't want to take any chances right at the end, so I delayed taking the final red peg until I had actually passed the pro target.

Level 6 (Score 400k with 25 red pegs and 88 blue - Pro target 700k)

The same design as level 2, but with 225k on the pro target, and just a score to go for.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 431,450
  • I got no luck at all there. Catches didn’t seem to work, and attempts at ricochets seemed to find quick paths through the pegs. I'll give it another go.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 909,520 
  • That was a bit better. More of the catches I went for worked, plus I had a few lucky ones as well. I kept it going all the way to the end, getting a total clearance.

Level 7 (Clear 30 red pegs from 96 total - Pro target 725k)

The same design as level 4, but with 5 more red pegs, and 175k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 455,760
  • The laser ball worked well, but I didn't get much luck as far as catches went, so I left myself far to much to do with the last ball. I struggled on for a while, but I was bound to miss eventually.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 336,450
  • No luck again, and this time it took several balls to get to the yellow peg, so the game was hampered before it even got going.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 743,860 
  • I got much better fortune with the catches this time, and made lots of them. Particularly in the early game, so I could carry lots of balls in hand with me through most of it. I thought I might have blown it right at the end when the last red peg went unexpectedly off a rebound, but I still had enough balls in hand to get me over the line.

Level 8 (Clear 35 red pegs from 92 total - Pro target 850k)

The same design as level 5, but with 10 more red pegs, and 250k on the pro target. I managed level 5 without any power ups, but this pro target looks pretty high, so I'd better start with a laser ball.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 927,610 
  • I messed up the first sweep down the left hand curve, then tried to rescue it with the second ball but just made it worse. I did quite well with the laser ball, getting a decent rim bounce. After that I made lots of catches and had some decent ricochets. I still had to go all the way to a total clearance to reach the pro target, and even then I had to avoid a minimum 20k final bonus. I thought that was exactly what I was going to get for a second, but one ball kindly skewed off to the side and went in the 100k bucket.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 72 blue - Pro target 725k)

The same design as level 1, but with 325k on the pro target and a total clearance now needed.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 818,510 
  • The yellow peg was tricky to get to, and it took me quite a few balls. By the time I'd activated the laser there wasn't much by way of clusters of pegs to go for, but I managed to find a half-decent line that scored reasonably well. After that I had my work cut out earning whatever bonuses I could from what was left to build a score that would get me up to the pro target. I got there, though, and in the end any kind of final bonus would have done.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 79 blue - Pro target 750k)

The same design as level 3, but with 250k on the pro target, and a total clearance now needed.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 568,640
  • I didn't seem to get much luck there. Very few of the attempted catches I went for seemed to go where I expected. It may be a bit optimistic attempting this without power ups, but I got a total clearance with 900k+ points on level 3 with no assistance, so it ought to be possible.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 606,830
  • Four pegs left. Closer, but I still feel I could have had better luck. One more go I think, then I'll add a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 289,720
  • Nowhere near that time. I got a glimpse of the distribution of the red pegs before the power up selection screen, and I had a pretty good idea from that that they weren't well placed. I should probably have gone straight for the laser ball right then, but I didn't. I will this time unless the reds look really great.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,059,690 
  • I got the yellow peg with the first shot, and then got a good rim bounce with the laser ball which I could catch. If anything it was a little too good. I might have been better served if the ball had flown lower across the screen off the rim bounce. I wouldn't have caught it, but it would have taken out some of the round pegs that circle to fountain's pool which are awkward to remove later on. I made steady progress after that, taking catches and making bonuses. I had a nervous moment at the very end when, after missing two catches on the trot, I found myself with only one ball left and three low, central round pegs to clear. I managed it though, picking up 110k from the final buckets for a seven figure total.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
97
Reds
10
-
400k
1
509,220
509,220
2
25
113
Reds
10
-
475k
2
620,430
486,080
3
25
104
Reds
10
-
500k
1
931,050
931,050
4
25
96
Reds
10
-
550k
4
680,900
445,245
5
25
92
Reds
10
-
600k
2
677,290
621,390
6
25
113
400k
10
-
700k
2
909,520
670,485
7
30
96
Reds
10
-
725k
3
743,860
512,023
8
35
92
Reds
10
-
850k
1
927,610
927,610
9
25
97
All
10
-
725k
1
818,510
818,510
10
25
104
All
10
-
750k
4
1,059,690
631,220

No comments:

Post a Comment