Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Board 38: Snowy Hollow

This picture shows a large house perched precariously on the edge of an overhanging cliff edge covered in snow. Another similar cliff stands opposite across a wide gap. This gap is spanned by a rope bridge. An elf-like person stands on the far side of the bridge with a reindeer, under a crescent moon. The snow-covered roofs of a village can be seen at the bottom of the picture.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 111 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 650k)

The first design has a curved line where the bridge is, and then more curves beneath it spanning the gap. There is also a curve around the moon, and loose round pegs on either side.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 800,860 
  • By shooting the first ball around the moon, I picked up a whole load of sweeping bonuses as the ball worked its way down the screen. I picked up several other bonuses as it went on, and it turned out to be a pretty straightforward start.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 104 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 600k)

The second design features two huge curves which both look perfectly lined up for a sweep shot from the launcher. There are also lots of scattered round pegs all over and two teleport portals, apparently lined up with the bottom of the curves which move the ball to a high central receiver.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 515,360
  • The two curves are certainly worth shooting first, after that it should just be a matter of picking up bonuses and taking catches. I finished a little prematurely here, but I was struggling a little for points.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 571,420 
  • I couldn't quite get to the last red peg with the last ball. Very close though. Didn't catch either of the first two balls, but got closer.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 837,240
  • I caught both opening balls that time, having learnt from the previous two attempts. After that there was no shortage of bonuses to be earned, and I took a reasonable number of catches to avoid the balls in hand getting too few. I kept going for a few shots after I'd achieved the pro target until I ran out of spare balls.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 98 total - Pro target 500k)

The third design features a number of inverted V shapes, reminiscent of the snow-covered roofs at the bottom of the picture.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 647,080 
  • I was struggling a bit for points towards the end, but a couple of timely big bonuses came to my rescue and ended up with a comfortable finish.

Level 4 (Clear 25 red pegs from 92 total - Pro target 475k)

The fourth design has curves over the overhanging snowy slopes, a couple of short diagonals in the bottom corners, and lots of single round pegs everywhere else.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 283,700
  • The red pegs weren't very favourably positioned with none near the side walls offering easy bonuses. So I struggled for points all the way through, forcing me to go for adventurous shots which I generally failed to catch.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 660,730 
  • There were several red pegs high to the left, so I could concentrate on those for some decent bonuses. I picked up quite a few lucky catches, which always helps as well.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 115 total - Pro target 550k)

The final design is of three large snowflakes in a regular pattern of single round pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 493,920
  • I had to keep the last ball going for an age. I was nearly there when I missed a catch. The red pegs were not kindly placed at the start so it would have been a particularly hard fought victoryhad I got there.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 344,850
  • There are lots of tricky angles here making catches difficult to judge. I'll give it one more go before I add a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 182,750
  • My score seems to be steadily worse, so it has to be time for a laser ball.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 545,960
  • The yellow peg was horribly placed, right at the bottom of the snowflake to the lower left. It took half my balls to get to it. I still should have made it to the pro target, despite having to hang on with the last couple of balls for many shots. I needed 15k for a pro score, but rather than push my luck with another purple peg catch, I took the last red hoping to score enough. Unfortunately 11k was all I could manage.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 585,640 
  • I got it this time, although I had to go all the way to a total clearance to make the pro target. The high pegs to the sides block off the side walls as a potential way of earning bonuses and it makes accumulating a big score much harder.

Level 6 (Clear 40 red pegs from 104 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 800k)

The same design as level 2, but with 15 more red pegs, and 200k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 910,210 
  • I went back to my video for level 2 before I played this one to remind myself where the release points were for the first two balls. It was worth doing, as it meant I caught them both. After that it was mainly a matter of taking some chances on a few ricochets to clear some space amongst the round pegs, and then picking them off one or two at a time. I could probably have got a total clearance as the last purple peg was a fairly simple catch, but I was on my last ball and it wasn't worth the risk.

Level 7 (Clear 40 red pegs from 98 total - Pro target 750k)

The same design as level 3, but with 15 more red pegs, and 250k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 677,960
  • I needed a few more points before I took the last red. I only had two blue pegs left, and I couldn't decide which offered the best chance. I may have made the wrong decision as I missed the catch, but I might well have missed the other as well.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 832,260 
  • A similar story to the previous attempt. I got to the yellow peg a little quicker though, and did a little better with the laser ball. It triggered a Split Ball which is always a bonus. Again, I didn't quite make the total clearance, leaving two blue pegs behind, but I was already through the pro target so it wasn't worth the risk to try for it.

Level 8 (Clear 40 red pegs from 115 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 725k)

The same design as level 5, but with 15 more red pegs, one less ball, and 175k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 354,440
  • I didn't get a rim bounce with the laser ball, and there were way too many missed catches in the endgame.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 490,130
  • Again, I failed to get a rim bounce with the laser ball for no good reason. This level really needs one both for clearance and the extra points it scores as both are hard to come by.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 690,110
  • I was going quite well then, but a careless shot right at the end finished the game before I was ready. As it was I could still have made a pro score with a 50k final bucket, but 10k was all I got.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 679,520
  • It took about four balls to get to the yellow peg, scoring less than 10k all told. The game looked like it might have been recovered with a Double Points bonus on the laser ball, but alas not. I got down to one red peg left, needing just 50k for a pro score, but I just couldn't find an angle to get through to it.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 613,200
  • Just one red peg left again, but I needed to build up a lot of points before I could take it. I nearly got there, but I was running out of easy catches. If I could just get a yellow peg in plain view then this would probably be quite straightforward, but in five attempts, it's not happened yet.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 786,610 
  • I'm not sure if the Big Bounce actually made a difference there or not. It didn't seem to score very much. Still, I got through it so it doesn't really matter. I thought when I hit the final purple peg that there was a chance it could ricochet onto the final red peg, but I thought I should still be OK scorewise if it did. As it happens, that's exactly what happened. If I'd found two 10k buckets I would have fallen short, but I found two 50ks instead.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 86 blue, with only 7 balls and a 5s shot-clock - Pro target 950k)

The same design as level 1, but with one less ball, a total clearance now required, and a five second shot-clock.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 727,010
  • Not many pegs left, but even if I'd cleared them all, I would have needed a lot of luck with the final bonus I suspect. But not a bad start.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 629,070
  • Only a 91% clearance despite a good first ball, and a reasonable laser. I'd better add a Big Bounce.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 914,010
  • Ohh! That's annoying! Everything went well right up until the end. I just needed to avoid the minimum 20k bonus at the end and I'd have a pro score. Of course, 20k is what I got.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 741,750
  • Another total clearance, but I had no chance of making the pro target. I couldn't get to the yellow peg, and by the time I finally cleared a path to it, I'd activate the Big Bounce. The Big Bounce did OK considering, but without a big score from the laser ball I was never going to make the pro target.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 694,920
  • A 96% clearance, but struggling for score. The rim bounce with the laser ball could have been better, and the Big Bounce wasn't particularly effective.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 858,710
  • Got the clearance, but again I was too far short of the pro target to stand any hope of reaching it. Too many pegs had gone by the time I'd got to the yellow peg, so the laser ball didn't score enough points.

Attempt #7 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 895,590
  • Another clearance, another 20k final bonus. Even 60k wouldn't have been enough there. I needed 100k or better.

Attempt #8 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 642,340
  • A 96% clearance again, but nowhere near the pro score. The Big Bounce was a let down, and I didn't get the first shot quite right either.

Attempt #9 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 1,090,320 
  • The first shot scored well and got the yellow peg. The laser ball got a good rim bounce, activated the Split Ball, got the green peg, and also scored well. Then the Big Bounce worked well also. At this point I had 11 balls left, 719k scored, and only 22 pegs left. So I only needed two pegs and just over 20k per ball, which was easily accomplished.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 67 blue - Pro target 800k)

The same design as level 4, but with 325k on the pro target, and a total clearance now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 531,950
  • Only an 86% clerarance, so not very close. My standard laser ball path my not be very appropriate for this layout so I might have to think about a different one.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 582,000
  • An 89% clearance that time. Got to do much better than this. I'll add a Big Bounce.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 599,000
  • Up to a 96% clearance, so quite a bit better with the extra power up. Still need some more points though.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 527,470
  • Only a 90% clearance, and not a particularly good score. Just not getting any luck at the moment.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 409,190
  • A 95% clearance, but the score was dreadful. I tried a different path for the laser ball to take out the white peg as that can sometimes pay dividends, but it all went horribly wrong.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 737,870
  • My first clearance, but I would have needed at least a 150k final bonus to get the pro target, and I only managed 60k.

Attempt #7 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 462,240
  • Only an 87% clearance, and a fairly poor score.

Attempt #8 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 739,470
  • A total clearance but just a 20k final bucket bonus left me 60k short of the pro target. This game can be so annoying sometimes!

Attempt #9 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 624,120
  • Another clearance, but I was way too far away from the pro target to stand any kind of chance.

Attempt #10 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 861,390 
  • Everything went wrong to start with. The green peg went first so the Big Bounce was activated way too early. It did OK considering though, scoring about 120k. I only got about 45k from the laser ball though as a lot of the pegs had gone. It still left me 40 pegs and 600k still to score in just 9 balls. It didn't look promising at that point, but I got lucky for a change with bonuses and ricochets. I needed to avoid the 20k final bonus again, but this time I did, getting 100k instead.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
111
Reds
8
-
650k
1
800,860
800,860
2
25
104
Reds
8
-
600k
3
837,240
641,340
3
25
98
Reds
10
-
500k
1
647,080
647,080
4
25
92
Reds
10
-
475k
2
660,730
472,215
5
25
115
Reds
10
-
550k
5
585,640
430,624
6
40
104
Reds
8
-
800k
1
910,210
910,210
7
40
98
Reds
10
-
750k
2
832,260
755,110
8
40
115
Reds
9
-
725k
6
786,610
602,335
9
25
111
All
7
5s
950k
9
1,090,320
799,302
10
25
92
All
10
-
800k
10
861,390
607,470

No comments:

Post a Comment