Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Board 117: Grandmother's House

These designers do like their fairy tales. It's Little Red Riding Hood this week. Little Red is approaching her grandmother's cottage deep in the woods, carrying her basket of goodies. The wolf looks on in the foreground.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 84 total - Pro target 500k)

The first design has roughly horizontal lines following the lines on the ground and on the house. There are also lines of round pegs on the tree trunks to the left and right, and the wolf's shadow.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 479,500
  • I really should have had that one, but I missed too many catches in the endgame. I'll get it next time.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 496,370
  • I was going fine then, when suddenly the ball decided it didn't want to play any more and started finding all the awkward bounces and refusing to go in the bucket.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 572,980 
  • I got it at the third attempt, although it still wasn't particularly convincing. At least I managed to do better with the endgame catches this time. It was probably the early catches that made the difference, and a lot of them were just lucky.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 134 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 475k)

The second design is of a basket with a light scattering of round pegs around the outside.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 538,890
  • No problem with the pro target, but I still had a couple of red pegs left at the end. There are an awful lot of blue pegs to work around and they do get in the way.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 175,230
  • That was a bit of a disaster. Only two catches and hardly any bonuses. I'll add a laser ball, but how useful it is all depends on where the yellow peg appears.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 525,260
  • Still struggling to break through to the red pegs in the bottom corners of the basket. They seem to be the most awkward to get to.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 620,120
  • I tried my more traditional laser ball route that time, but I didn't get the rim bounce that I wanted. So I was still left with four red pegs in the bottom right-hand corner at the end.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 880,000 
  • The yellow peg was right next to the launcher this time. And I got a fairly good rim bounce with the laser ball. I had the hang of the catching a little better this time as well, and it was enough to see me comfortably through.

Level 3 (Clear 30 red pegs from 115 total - Pro target 400k)

The third design is of a couple of wolf's paw prints.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 139,730
  • Not even remotely close. Catches were very hard to judge, and red pegs were dreadfully positioned for earning bonuses.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 692,660 
  • It took a few shots to get to the yellow peg, but I caught most of them so it wasn't such a problem. I had to pick an alternative route for the laser ball because of this, and it seemed to work quite well. The pro score wasn't difficult to get to, and I had enough balls to clear the remaining reds.

Level 4 (Clear 30 red pegs from 123 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 475k)

The fourth design has wavy lines following the trunks of the trees to the left and right, and then some more similar waxy lines running parallel to them. Another line runs over the wolf's back. The grass is covered with single round pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 251,780
  • I had one red peg left but I couldn't take it until I'd scored quite a few more points. It looks like it'll be tricky without power ups, but it's worth another try.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 284,800
  • One red peg left again, and again well short of points. I'll use a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 1,087,160 
  • Easy enough with the laser ball. I could take the yellow peg with the first ball. The rim bounce with the laser ball could have gone better, but it didn't matter. I still made a comfortable total clearance for a seven figure total.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 100 total - Pro target 500k)


The final design is a picture of the hood that Little Red Riding Hood wears, next to the wolf's head in profile.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 347,680
  • I struggled for catches this time, but I could probably do better. It's worth another go.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 151,900
  • Even worse that time. Nothing seemed to go the way I wanted it to. I'll try it with a laser ball.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 499,250
  • The yellow peg was awkward to get to, so it took me a few balls to do it. And then I had to try an unorthodox laser ball path to make the most of the pegs that were left, and that could have worked better. I plugged away at the pegs that were left and had to make a decision with the last ball. I only needed just under 13k for a pro score, so I thought I'd be safe just going for the last red, but I only scored 12k, so I was wrong.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 367,080
  • Again the yellow peg was too awkward to get to easily so I wasted a lot of balls for very little return trying to activate the laser ball.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 667,150 
  • Yet again, the yellow peg was awkwardly placed in the bow of the hood, but this time I managed to get to it quite quicky, then played a standard shot with the laser ball. I still had quite a lot of work to do after that, but the catches and ricochets were going my way and I made it all the way to a total clearance.

Level 6 (Clear 40 red pegs from 134 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 800k)

The same design as level 2, but with 15 more red pegs, and 325k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 674,830
  • The yellow peg was tricky to get to - right down the bottom on the left hand side. So, inevitable, I ran out of balls before I could clear all the reds.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 889,910
  • I had two red pegs left right next to one another, but there were other pegs in the way. I thought I had a shot which would hit both, but I misjudged it and only got one with my last ball.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 880,050 
  • I was catching better that time, and I made some well-judged side wall deflection shots. I had to work quite hard for the pro score at times, but I got there.

Level 7 (Clear 40 red pegs from 115 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 700k)

The same design as level 3, but with 10 more red pegs, two less balls, and 300k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 738,240 
  • I got on the yellow peg quickly and did a reasonably good job with the laser ball. I still had plenty to do afterwards, and I rode my luck at times in the endgame, but it got me to the pro target.

Level 8 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 54 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 700k)

The same design as level 1, but with 5 more red pegs, one less ball, 200k on the pro target, and a total clearance now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 741,950 
  • Level 1 took me three attempts to pro, but I never got a complete clearance, and I never approached 700k, so I decided to jump straight in with a laser ball. I managed to get an ideal first ball that swept along the two biggest lines for just under 200k and opened a path to the yellow peg. It meant that most of the remaining pegs were around the edge though, which wasn't good news for the laser ball, so it only scored about 84k. It left me 26 pegs (9 of them red) still with 11 balls in hand, but I still had about 420k to go to the pro target. I had several ricochets in the endgame which I hadn't planned, and I thought I was going to run out of pegs before I could reach the pro target at one stage. But by taking the last few pegs all off the wall first, I managed to sneak over the line.

Level 9 (Score 625k with 30 red pegs and 70 blue, with only 7 balls - Pro target 725k)

The same design as level 5, but with 5 more red pegs, three less balls, 125k on the pro target, but just a score now to aim for.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 943,010 
  • I didn't think I'd be able to get to the yellow peg with the first ball, but I managed to find a path that took out most of the wolf's head. I then concentrated the laser ball on the hood side which worked very well indeed, netting me just under 450k points. I only needed another 220k or so, so I could relax a bit and just make sure I could take out the red pegs and take whatever other bonuses might come my way.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 93 blue - Pro target 675k)

The same design as level 4, but with one more ball, 200k on the pro target and a total clearance now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 813,280
  • I did quite well with the laser ball, but I couldn't get near the total clearance, despite heroic efforts with the final ball. I'll have one more go, but I might need to add a Big Bounce after that.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 730,560
  • I got myself into a really good position quite early on, but then my catching let me down appallingly in the end game.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 703,180
  • Again, my catching in the endgame should have been a lot better. It does make it harder that all the angles are different so every catch has to be reassessed from scratch each tme. I'll add a Big Bounce.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 487,040
  • I started off well enough, but the Big Bounce got completely stifled in the bottom corner and left me with way too much to do in the endgame again.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 741,970 
  • A very similar attempt to some of the previous ones. The laser ball did OK, although the rim bounce could have worked better. The Big Bounce got a bit stifled in a corner, and I got left with a lot left to do in the endgame. This time, however, I was up to the task and my catching was much improved. I needed a big finish as I was still a little low on points at the end. I thought I could deflect straight into the 100k bucket from the last peg, but it didn't. One of the balls did end up there though, after bouncing about for a bit, and the other picked up 50k, so the finish was big enough.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
84
Reds
10
-
500k
3
572,980
516,283
2
25
134
Reds
9
-
475k
5
880,000
547,900
3
30
115
Reds
10
-
400k
2
692,660
416,195
4
30
123
Reds
9
-
475k
3
1,087,160
541,246
5
25
100
Reds
10
-
500k
5
667,150
406,612
6
40
134
Reds
9
-
800k
3
889,910
814,930
7
40
115
Reds
8
-
700k
1
738,240
738,240
8
30
84
All
9
-
700k
1
741,950
741,950
9
30
100
625k
7
-
725k
1
943,010
943,010
10
30
123
All
10
-
675k
5
813,280
695,206

No comments:

Post a Comment