Saturday, June 29, 2013

Board 32: Treetop Town

This picture is of a wooden house perched in a tree, connected to other treehouses in the background via rope bridges. A couple of monkeys clamber over it.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 90 total - Pro target 475k)

The first design follows the lines in the picture of various handrails, monkey tails, vines & branches, and has single round pegs scattered everywhere else.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 517,960
  • I had one red peg left at the end, but I really should have finished it. I should have made sure that I had a clear shot at the last red peg instead of playing the purple peg until I had one ball left. I'm always doing that, and it's a really bad habit.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 634,410 
  • I got some better early sweeps and ricochets that time, and probably more catches as well. It all seemed a lot easier anyway, and I got a comfortable total clearance.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 105 total - Pro target 600k)

The second design is three sets of two curves, each pair connected in the centre. There are also similar curves of single round pegs between and above the solid ones.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 652,930 
  • The curves offer plenty of scope for early sweep bonuses, and once they're gone some distance bonuses ought to be available. I only got a 97% clearance which equates to about 4 pegs left, but I did enough to secure the pro score.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 101 total - Pro target 575k)

The third design is of a monkey's face.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 521,450
  • I painted myself into a corner at the end, leaving myself with a blue peg that was completely hidden beneath the last red one. It was central and medium height, so I couldn't even reach it off the side wall. I really needed a total clearance to get the pro score but all I could do was take the final red and hope for a 100k final bonus, which I didn't get.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 357,730
  • I didn't do so well that time. I got most of the catches I went for, but I didn't get the bonuses I did previously, so I was always struggling for points towards the end.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 641,060 
  • I didn't pick up many early catches, but I did get quite a few good size bonuses in the early part of the game, which meant at least I didn't have too many points to score in the endgame, it was more about getting rid of the remaining red pegs.

Level 4 (Clear 25 red pegs from 100 total - Pro target 425k)

The fourth design follows the straight lines of the picture, specifically the straight edges of the buildings, plus lots of single round pegs sprinkled about.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 462,250 
  • I didn't seem to take many early catches so I had a reasonable amount to do in the endgame, but catches and bonuses started to come my way and I managed to muddle through. I needed to avoid the 10k bucket at the end, but managed that as well.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 121 total - Pro target 525k)

The fifth design looks like a door, flanked by two windows. So mainly straight lines, plus a few diamonds and small circles.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 798,740 
  • I picked off a lot of red and purple pegs off the side wall which boosted my score quite a bit. All those horizontal and vertical pegs makes for quite a lot of opportunities for easy catches, and I took them whenever I could.

Level 6 (Score 425k with 25 red pegs and 76 blue - Pro target 775k)

The same design as level 3, but with 200k on the pro target, and just a score to go for.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 587,120
  • I cleared all the reds but got nowhere near the pro target. This was mainly due to it taking most of my balls to get through to the yellow peg which was right down the bottom of the face.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 914,770 
  • I was going for a clearance, but caught the last red by mistake with a couple of blue pegs left. But it didn't matter as I was already well over the pro target. I managed to drop the first ball straight through the centre of the design which got me the yellow peg. I found a good line for the laser ball, helped by a Split Ball. I didn't have too much to do after that.

Level 7 (Clear 40 red pegs from 121 total, with a 5s shot-clock - Pro target 750k)

The same design as level 5, but with 15 more red pegs, 225k on the pro target, and a five second shot-clock.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 341,640
  • I didn't get much luck there, and the red pegs didn't seem very favourably positioned. I'll try it with a laser ball.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 719,990
  • I should have had that. One red peg left, and I missed a simple catch off the purple peg because I rushed it when I really didn't need to.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 528,530
  • Too many missed catches in the endgame, but then I was struggling for points so I had to go for adventurous shots. I only had one red and one blue peg left at the end, so it would have been extremely doubtful whether I could have made a pro score even if I hadn't run out of balls.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball. Score: 738,060
  • I thought I'd make sure I had a path through to the last red before I played any more purple pegs, and I accidentally hit the red on a ricochet, and then finished in the 10k bucket to end just short of the pro target. How annoying!

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 688,710
  • Another really close one. I only had about three or four blue pegs left and I was closing in on the pro target. I took a dodgy blue just because it happened to be purple, knowing that I might glance off another on the way to the bucket, and of course it did. I should has shot straight into the bucket and waited for a better opportunity.

Attempt #6 - Laser Ball. Score: 846,160 
  • I felt I had to reflect the path of the laser ball, so I aimed it right instead of left. Luckily this is a symmetrical level and there are plenty of pegs near the side wall to use as aiming aids. I got a pretty good rim bounce with it, so that helped a lot. After that I just had to pick off the reds, mainly with side wall bounces to keep the bonuses coming.

Level 8 (Clear 45 red pegs from 100 total - Pro target 625k)

The same design as level 4, but with 20 more red pegs, and 200k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 467,760
  • I felt I should have done more damage with the laser ball, as I seemed to have a lot of work left to do afterwards. Plus I didn't take enough early catches, so I was into the endgame very early.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 679,720 
  • It took me ages to break through to the yellow peg, and I didn't earn many points while I was doing it, so I assumed the game would be a write-off. But I did quite well with the laser ball, considering how few pegs were left by the time I'd activated it, getting a good rim bounce with it despite taking an unorthodox line. After that my catching was up to the mark as I picked off the remaining red pegs and quite a few purple ones.

Level 9 (Clear ALL pegs - 25 red and 65 blue - Pro target 800k)

The same design as level 1, but with 325k on the pro target and a total clearance now needed.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 618,470
  • A 96% clearance, so only 4 pegs left. Not bad for a first attempt.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 680,540
  • Just one peg left that time, but I was having to take chances on side wall bounces to try and get up to the pro target. It is quite a big target, so perhaps I'd better use a laser ball after all.

Attempt #3 - Laser Ball. Score: 910,310 
  • Despite having the yellow peg to go for, I still took the top two curves first, as I thought the laser ball would probably ruin them. It meant that the laser ball didn't score as much as it might have, so it may not have been a good decision. Having said that, I still managed to go on to make a total clearance, although it needed some good catching at times. I did need 100k off the final buckets, but I managed to get both balls in the centre bucket.

Level 10 (Clear ALL pegs - 30 red and 75 blue - Pro target 850k)

The same design as level 2, but with 250k on the pro target, and a total clearance now needed.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 865,780 
  • I felt this one was worth a go without power ups, despite not making a total clearance last time around, or even approaching this huge pro target, because I only had one attempt at level 2, and that I could improve on my tactics quite a lot this time around. I clearly must have learned something, because my decision was vindicated when I did indeed make a total clearance at the first attempt. I needed 100k off the final buckets again, but this time I managed to leave an angle off the final peg that I could get into the centre bucket from.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
90
Reds
10
-
475k
2
634,410
576,185
2
25
105
Reds
10
-
600k
1
652,930
652,930
3
25
101
Reds
10
-
575k
3
641,060
506,746
4
25
100
Reds
10
-
425k
1
462,250
462,250
5
25
121
Reds
10
-
525k
1
798,740
798,740
6
25
101
425k
10
-
775k
2
914,770
750,945
7
40
121
Reds
10
5s
750k
6
846,160
643,848
8
45
100
Reds
10
-
625k
2
679,720
573,740
9
25
90
All
10
-
800k
3
910,310
736,440
10
30
105
All
10
-
850k
1
865,780
865,780

No comments:

Post a Comment