Thursday, June 13, 2013

Board 37: Kibble Mountain

This picture shows three hot air balloons all shaped as animal heads. The nearest is a cat's head, the one slightly further back is that of a giant panda, and the one in the distance is hard to make out. The ears make it look like an elephant's head, but it's green. The terrain below is very rugged and mountainous.


Level 1 (Clear 25 red pegs from 99 total - Pro target 550k)

The first design is lots of ~ shapes with no loose pegs. Maybe they're supposed to represented moving air currents or something.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 587,390 
  • Not too bad. A good early sweep or two is almost unavoidable. I had to make up some points at the end, but I managed it. I wasn't sure at the end whether to take the last red peg and hope to avoid the 10k buckets, or try and take another purple peg first. In the end I felt there were no easy catches left off the blue pegs so I went for the finish. I found a 50k final bucket so I guess it was the right decision.

Level 2 (Clear 25 red pegs from 89 total - Pro target 500k)

The second design has circles around the three visible balloons, and loose round pegs everywhere else.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 238,940
  • I tried to break a hole in the biggest circle, looking for a big sweep. I reckoned I needed to remove three pegs to make a hole big enough to get the ball in at the right angle. I got the first two pegs, but the third shot went all wrong and the circle got broken up. After that I was struggling.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 375,990
  • A better effort. I tried a slightly different third shot this time but I had the same result. I did a little better afterwards.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 388,630
  • The third shot worked much better that time, and I got a good sweep around the big circle. It didn't help me reach the pro target though.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 482,600
  • I'm getting gradually closer. I'm reluctant to introduce a laser ball as it might spoil the big sweep around the circle. I might add a Big Bounce though.

Attempt #5 - Big Bounce. Score: 634,880 
  • That's better. The Big Bounce made a big difference. I still got my big sweep around the biggest ring, then the Big Bounce took a sweep around the medium circle, and picked up a Double Score off the white peg. After that I had plenty of balls in hand, not many red pegs left, and not too many points to get either.

Level 3 (Clear 25 red pegs from 118 total - Pro target 550k)

The third design has curves around all the balloons which all look neatly lined up to the shooter, plus wiggly lines over the tops of the mountains, and lots of loose round pegs.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 341,130
  • I needed to make more catches particularly early on. But hopefully I can learn better release points for the early sweep shots.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 471,050
  • One only peg left and a much better score, although I still didn't catch either of the first two shots.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 630,400 
  • I caught one of the first two balls this time, but got some much better slides and other bonuses in the mid-game. I was quite quickly in control of the game and was free to play some risky shots, knowing I had enough balls in hand to rescue the situation if it all went horribly wrong.

Level 4 (Clear 25 red pegs from 89 total - Pro target 450k)

The fourth design is a regular bagatelle pattern of single round pegs, but with mini balloons weaving their way up between them in two places.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 288,930
  • Well I cleared all the red pegs, but only accidentally and I was nowhere near the pro target. Points and catches are both very hard to come by here.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 388,780
  • A better score thanks to some good early bonuses, and some emergency catching in the end game, but it wasn't enough. I'll have one more try before I get the laser ball on it.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 426,140
  • I had to make a decision at the end as to whether to take the last red peg and hope to avoid the 10k bucket, or try for another purple first. I'd already taken the gamble on the previous shot and got away with it, which meant that a final 50k bucket would be OK. I decided to just go for the finish and it didn't pay off.

Attempt #4 - No power ups. Score: 357,620
  • I only had one red peg left, and a decent chance I thought of deflecting straight into the 100k bucket from it. I just had to clear one blue peg from the way first. But it was my last ball and I missed the catch.

Attempt #5 - Laser Ball. Score: 494,350 
  • With only one blue peg left at the end it was very tempting to take it first and go for the total clearance, but it would have been an unnecessary risk, so I just took the red since I already had a pro score. The laser ball took several balls to activate as the yellow peg was right down the bottom.

Level 5 (Clear 25 red pegs from 89 total - Pro target 650k)

The final design is all lines making up a basket hanging beneath a hot air balloon, between two clouds.


Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 456,000
  • One red peg left, although it was in a particularly tricky position which might have taken some getting to.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 607,120
  • One red peg left again, but this time it was in the open and with a good chance of a decent final bonus to follow. Just one ball too few.

Attempt #3 - No power ups. Score: 733,740 
  • I had a handle on the angles a bit better this time. I managed to avoid some of the mistakes I made in the previous attempt. I still had several balls left at the end, but the last three reds were all together and they all went in the same shot. I had the points for pro though, so it didn't matter.

Level 6 (Score 450k with 25 red pegs and 74 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 825k)

The same design as level 1, but with one less ball, 275k on the pro target, and just a score now to aim at.

Attempt #1 - No power ups. Score: 749,320
  • I had to keep the last ball going for an eternity. I missed the catch on the very last blue peg having struggled to decide whether to take it or not. In the end the score I would have needed off the final bucket was just too unlikely if I didn't take it.

Attempt #2 - No power ups. Score: 893,480 
  • Again I managed to avoid the mistakes of the first attempt. I tried to remember the angles and shots that had worked well. I picked up some better sweeps in the early part of the game, and got some good bonuses and catches in the later part. The ending was unexpected, but it earned an amply large bonus to get me comfortably to the pro target.

Level 7 (Score 500k with 25 red pegs and 93 blue, with only 9 balls - Pro target 825k)

The same design as level 3, but with one less ball, 275k on the pro target, but just a score now required.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball. Score: 765,240
  • I failed to catch the first two balls so I clearly need to go back and rewatch the video for level 3. I did get the Double Score bonus for the laser ball which made a big difference. However, it wasn't quite enough, and I ran out of pells before I could finish.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball. Score: 829,780 
  • I didn't catch the opening two balls again, but I got a good score with the laser ball, and the bonuses kept coming after that. I didn't have to make too many catches, and the score just built up. By the time I started to run out of balls, I was practically at the pro target anyway.

Level 8 (Clear 40 red pegs from 89 total, with only 9 balls - Pro target 775k)

The same design as level 2, but with 15 more red pegs, one less ball, and 275k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Big Bounce. Score: 740,230
  • I cleared the reds but didn't quite make the pro target. I was actually aiming to just miss the red peg and hit the white peg with the last ball but midjudged it. Part of the problem was activating the Big Bounce before I'd cleared the Big circle which through me off a bit.

Attempt #2 - Big Bounce. Score: 589,390
  • I failed to get enough bonuses or catches this time.

Attempt #3 - Big Bounce. Score: 511,150
  • The Big Bounce got trapped down the bottom and scored very little.

Attempt #4 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 827,790 
  • I thought adding the laser might mess up the nice big sweep around the largest circle, although I messed that up anyway so it didn't matter. Both power ups worked quite well, so I actually got the pro target quite comfortably.

Level 9 (Clear 35 red pegs from 89 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 650k)

The same design as level 4, but with 10 more red pegs, two less balls, and 200k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 596,560
  • I had one red peg left. There was a blue peg left that was low and near the side wall, so should have given an easy 35k when played as a purple peg, wall first and into the bucket. As I was shooting straight into the bucket, I forgot about the balloons coming up the screen and got caught out by one appearing at the bottom after I'd fired the ball. Silly mistake as it should have been an easy pro score from there.

Attempt #2 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 681,900 
  • The very first ball triggered a Split Ball off the white peg and I caught both balls after one of them bounced off the rim onto a peg and back into the bucket. The combination of 2 Lucky Buckets, a Bucket Bounce, a Free Ball Fanatic, and an earlier Exact Angle gave me a whopping 255k for the first shot. I then got just over 100k for the Laser Ball, and a paltry 10k for the BIg Bounce, and I caught both of them as well. I nearly forgot I was supposed to be clearing red pegs as well when I suddenly realised I only had two balls left and 5 red pegs still to hit, but with a few careful catches I managed it.

Level 10 (Clear 50 red pegs from 89 total, with only 8 balls - Pro target 925k)

The same design as level 5, but with 25 more red pegs (twice as many), two less balls, and 275k on the pro target.

Attempt #1 - Laser Ball & Big Bounce. Score: 1,457,910 
  • I meant to take off the Big Bounce there and just use the laser, but I forgot. With both power ups active, this was a stroll. I remembered the good first ball that I found when playing level 5, where I basically shoot as high as possible to the right and I get a big sweep round almost the entire semi-circle. That scored me 250k. The laser ball then activated the Triple Score Bucket, multiplying it's 64k up to 193k, plus another 225k in bonuses. I got 50k off the next shot, getting the green peg, and then the Big Bounce scored another 215k. So after four shots I had 10 balls left (two more than I started with), only 6 red pegs left out of 16 pegs total, and a massive 938k scored, already 13k over the pro target. Well after that I could afford to be adventurous with my shot selection, taking all sorts of unlikely shots on. I ended up with a total clearance for just short of a million and a half points.

SUMMARY


Level
Reds
Pegs
Target
Balls
Clock
Pro
Attempts
Record
Average
Video
1
25
99
Reds
10
-
550k
1
587,390
587,390
2
25
89
Reds
10
-
500k
5
634,880
424,208
3
25
118
Reds
10
-
550k
3
630,400
480,860
4
25
89
Reds
10
-
450k
5
494,350
391,164
5
25
89
Reds
10
-
650k
3
733,740
598,953
6
25
99
450k
9
-
825k
2
893,480
821,400
7
25
118
500k
9
-
825k
2
829,780
797,510
8
40
89
Reds
9
-
775k
4
827,790
667,140
9
35
89
Reds
8
-
650k
2
681,900
639,230
10
50
89
Reds
8
-
925k
1
1,457,910
1,457,910

No comments:

Post a Comment